Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Before you move your fleet into a sea area controlled by another country, is it permissable to ask before moving? Or are you supposed to move first and then ask and hope he doesn't attack you?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is permissable to ask.

It is also permissable to say WTF when he blows you up anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do your most controversial moves first so you might retaliate if required, or cancel the plan if the wheels get pulled off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I beleive it is mandatory if your ship was recently produced and is on land/harbor.

Make sure the life boats are ready unless you want to arrrh say hello to Davey Jone's locker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norman
United Kingdom
Trowbridge
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer_Dog wrote:
I beleive it is mandatory if your ship was recently produced and is on land/harbor.

That's not what the rules say - or what anybody I've played it with has claimed.

Rules, page 7: "All fleets of a nation are allowed to move to an adjacent sea region". Note "are allowed to", not "must". You can choose to hold in port.

David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) You are permitted to keep a fleet at port, and it is often advantageous to do so in order to protect a factory.
b) The only table-talk acceptable during a game of Imperial is about NASCAR. I think I read that in the rules once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since negotiation can be a key part of this game, it would be permissible as it would be very difficult to negotiate without "table talk."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't recall the rules being specific about the permited level of discussion. As per the norm on the issue, many take that to mean you can talk, and others assume that you can't. I find that the best policy is for your play group to be in agreement, rather than BGG.

I would find Imperial dull without some table-talk. As long as you don't have the two-headed-player phenomenon (the couple where one person "makes" all of their partner's decisions), I haven't seen conversation to be a problem.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
Since negotiation can be a key part of this game, it would be permissible as it would be very difficult to negotiate without "table talk."

I've noticed that negotiation being much in this game. Often there's a bunch of table talk trying to influence a persons decision and pointing out the 'obvious'.

It came up in todays game... how much should I point out... especially to newer players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as your group feels comfortable with. There is no hard and fast rule. My regular group has a very comfortable level of table talk and we frequently point out moves/decisions to each other even when it's to our disadvantage. That's with any game we play, not just Imperial. We usually end our games with discussions of strategy and where we felt better decisions could have been made. It's our gaming karma.

Other groups I've played with don't tolerate giving advice during a game and tolerate only a low level of negotiations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.