Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Lamothe (popmart)
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was Sorcerak's and my second game. I was playing US and he was playing USSR. All through this game, lady luck deserted me and happily joined Sorcerak. The game ended at turn 7 with USSR reaching 20 points. Here are some highlights of this 3 hours game:

The first turn went OK for both sides, the USSR winning a Coup in Italy and gaining its control and winning the Korean War. The US played De Gaulle for 3 influence in France followed by Truman Doctrine in France. US also won an Arab-Isreali War while controlling Egypt. No scoring in turn 1

Second turn started badly for US, USSR played Red Scare/Purge as an event and I got rid of Blocade in order to throw away Comecon. US was still able to score 2 points in Middle East in turn 2. No other scoring card in turn 2. USSR finished turn 2 with Fidel in Cuba. VP 0.

Turn 3 starts, we pass the remaining cards, knowing that Europe and Asia scoring had to show up here. USSR was 2 battleground ahead in Asia, and 1 battleground ahead in Europe. We shuffle the discard stack with mid war cards and distribute the remaining hands... Lady luck strikes against me, I end up with 4 scoring cards: Europe, Asia, Central America, South America, none of which I was ahead at this point and no cards to prepare for any of them. Luckily I also got "Ask Not What Your Country Can Do for You" and I discarded Europe and Asia scoring cards thinking that I would be able to kick Fidel out of Cuba. I was wrong. Not only my Coup in Cuba turned out to be a mess (rolled a 1) but USSR seeing that I was playing in Central America, concentrated all his operations in there and rolled a huge Coup (6) in Panama. I had to settle for Mexico and played the South America scoring for nothing followed by another totally missed Coup in Panama, Central America scoring saw the Domination of USSR.

Turn 4, from bad to worse, USSR plays Brezhnev Doctrine as an event and already has a hand of high operations. Turn 4 saw USSR scoring a Domination in Middle East. I must admint that I totally lost track of the Middle East scoring card and forgot that it could come back so early. I failed all my Coup and realignments, rolling 1, 2 or 3. USSR finished turn 4 by playing Containment, throwing away another of my good event card.

Turn 5, can it be even worse? Yes. USSR plays played Red Scare/Purge as an event... again. While I got a hand full of Ops 1 and 2 cards. USSR increased his influece in South-East Asia and scored there while I could only sit and watch.

Turn 6 USSR played We will bury You, Missile Envy for Flower Power and Decolonization and scoring Africa while I started trying to go for a Control of Europe, my last hope for a victory. I finished turn 6 with "How I Learned to Stop Worrying", planning for a Coup in Italy at the beginning of Turn 7.

Turn 7 comes in, USSR gains Control of South America, I play China for a Coup in Italy that was controlled 2-0 by USSR and proceeded with a roll of.... 1. USSR plays South America scoring and gets 10 points, reaching 20.

Summary: Although I know that I made 3-4 mistakes in the game, I really got screwed by the cards (e.g. 4 scoring cards in turn 3) and I don't remember rolling more that 3 in any of my realignments and Coups. But I remember rolling 6 twice in the space race... At the other end of the spectrum, USSR got Red Scare/Purge twice, Brezhnev Doctrine and Containment, depriving me of any advantage in operations and on top of this, he kept on rolling 4+ most of the time in his Coups and realignments. Hence the title; When you lose, blame it on luck.

Well I have to say that Sorcerak played a really good game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martinlamotheqc wrote:
Turn 3 starts, we pass the remaining cards, knowing that Europe and Asia scoring had to show up here. USSR was 2 battleground ahead in Asia, and 1 battleground ahead in Europe. We shuffle the discard stack with mid war cards and distribute the remaining hands...

Note this error: You don't shuffle in the Mid War cards on turn 3, just the discards from the first 2 turns. Mid war (but not discards) are shuffled in on turn 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lamothe (popmart)
Canada
La Prairie
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:

Note this error: You don't shuffle in the Mid War cards on turn 3, just the discards from the first 2 turns. Mid war (but not discards) are shuffled in on turn 4.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.