Subject: Paint question - to wash/scrub or not rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

As many others I've gotten this primarily for the minis. Before painting those awesome minis, I wanted to see if anyone else has started painting them and could enlighten me.

Since it seems to be some kind of resin, do I need to wash and scrub the miniatures prior to priming? It does not feel as if there has been used any kind of release agent similar to Forge World resin minis.

I would hate trying to scrub all those fine details and have things break off for no reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
I basically gave them a decent brush off with one of my paint brushes and they took the primer and turned out fine.

I've painted two so far and no issues at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Kopah
United States
Bad Axe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give them a gentle scrubbing with an old toothbrush in some warm water with a couple drops of dishsoap added just to be sure all of the mold release was cleaned out of the numerous crevices and details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran some tests, and there seems to be no residue on the minis. At least judging from the limited test of airbrushing primer on them and see if it sticks.

So ended up priming all without issues and no washing.

Also did the first mini - decided to go with super simple painting, and I'm very happy with the result. With all the details in the model itself, you really dont need to paint a lot to make them look cartoony and perfect for the game.

---

Edit:

And just after I wrote this, I ran into a model that in deep places didnt let paint stick. Solveable with some varnish - but yes. It seems their cleaning process doesnt go all the way into all the places, so wash and lightly scrub!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dilkROM
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Wow, Thomas, your results look really really great; same quality I am looking to go for. Thanks for the cleaning tips too. Any recommendations on paint and palette? Are you using their art book / box art / cards for color inspirations or just making up your colorways on your own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm not a pro by any stretch, but really enjoy painting. Eyes are still my weak spot :-D

I simply go with the paint scheme on the box for now, and started with the Epic stretch goal models. Grey primer, simple base coloring, wash and then some highlights + dry brushing.

Takes half a day to paint one - 2 more here below! Great fun painting!

I also did all the minions. Gave them primer, an even base color (airbrush), red/blue wash and then drybrushed bone color on them. Makes them more pretty than pure plastic, and takes only a few hours for all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.