Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

it only just occurred to me that Brother Marcus' ability does (edit: ) doesn't explicitly exclude "REMAINS IN PLAY" Mystery cards:

Marcus "May pay 2 Investigation to cancel any Mystery Card or Event..."

Likewise, the Sacred Chalice, from the Monastery Gift Shop may "Cancel any Event or Mystery card."

These abilities may cancel "REMAINS IN PLAY" Mysteries resp. Events (e.g. Magistrate's Mandate), correct?

Until a few moments ago, i had assumed (for no specific reason) that such abilities could only cancel Mysteries and Events as they are being played.

(This would have made a huge difference in the utter butt-whooping the Werewolf handed me last night!)

:-?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
it only just occurred to me that Brother Marcus' ability does explicitly exclude "REMAINS IN PLAY" Mystery cards:

Did you mean to say "doesn't" instead of "does"? Otherwise your post is difficult to follow

His ability is powerful but be aware that you have to pay the investigation before rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it says "Any", it means exactly that, any event or mistery, even a "remains in play" one form a previous round. In these genre of games the wording on the rules and the cards is the heart of the game, and they always should be taken in their most literal sense.

So yes, you can try to cancel it with that skill, unless there is an exception explicitly stated on the character's skill or in the card that prevents it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
it only just occurred to me that Brother Marcus' ability does explicitly exclude "REMAINS IN PLAY" Mystery cards:

Did you mean to say "doesn't" instead of "does"? Otherwise your post is difficult to follow

Indeed, my apologies - i inverted the sentence structure while editing and broke that.

Carcking wrote:
His ability is powerful but be aware that you have to pay the investigation before rolling.

Plus he misses it the roll seemingly 5/6ths of the time, so it hasn't been overpowered in my sessions yet .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mearendil wrote:
If it says "Any", it means exactly that, any event or mistery, even a "remains in play" one form a previous round. In these genre of games the wording on the rules and the cards is the heart of the game, and they always should be taken in their most literal sense.

It didn't occur to me until today's session that an R.I.P. card is really still a card after it enters play. i had been considering it (yet again, for no specific reason) to be a lingering side-effect of A Thing Which Was Formerly A Card. i probably also subconsciously (and incorrectly) carried over text from some cards which say "as it is played".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one of the reasons that I don't like their use of the word "cancel". Cancel, to me, generally sounds like stopping something before it finishes. Like, you can't cancel a flight after you've already taken off. So it sounds weird to me to cancel a card that has been sitting in play for several turns.

But I don't know that there's a good word that would would apply equally to stopping a card as it's being played and discarding a card that's already in play.

Maybe just, "Cancel/discard any Event or Mystery card."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
That's one of the reasons that I don't like their use of the word "cancel". Cancel, to me, generally sounds like stopping something before it finishes. Like, you can't cancel a flight after you've already taken off. So it sounds weird to me to cancel a card that has been sitting in play for several turns.

But I don't know that there's a good word that would would apply equally to stopping a card as it's being played and discarding a card that's already in play.

Maybe just, "Cancel/discard any Event or Mystery card."

You essentially cancel the continuing effect. You can then discard the mystery card because it no longer has any effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.