Popular Tags: [View All]
(Mr.) Kim Beattie
United States
Rocklin
CA
flag msg tools
Embrace your inner geek!
badge
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row, That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like an interesting idea, but isn't/can't the purpose be served by a Wiki page just as well (if not better)? Each game in the series can have a link to the Wiki page and the Wiki page can act as the "Umbrella" entry for the series.

Seems like the Wiki makes a separate database entry for game series unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea. I've put 1856 in my top 10, but I'd rather have the choice to use a generic 18XX.

I suspect you'll find a lot of train series could use this feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
You can't add wikipages to geeklists or hot-10 / top-10 lists. Neither can the be used for any of the other 4 purposes / reasons mentioned above.

Then maybe wikipages should be made addable to geeklists and hot/top-10 lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I don't know about adding Wiki pages to the top10 stuff - but if I added wiki pages to geeklists would that work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Dan and I are coming up with a solution that has merit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I don't know about adding Wiki pages to the top10 stuff - but if I added wiki pages to geeklists would that work?
That would be nice and should make more people aware of the Wiki stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
For all the other reasons mentioned, I would still prefer the possibilities of Game Series pages. Like game expansions there could be a check box 'game series' under categories.

The possibility of adding wikipages to geeklist would be welcome as well, BTW, but it wouldn't help much for the purposes mentioned above/

I'm against adding game groups to the game DB (but I'm also opposed to allowing extensions/expansions/gravy train stand-alones too). I think the best solution would be to have stand-alone first-in-a-series games as the only entries in the "game" database. The "game expansions" database(s) would house all the expansions (Advanced Civ cards), extensions (TtR 1910 stuff), and subsequent releases (TTR Europe, any 18xx after 1829, etc). The "game series" database would hold collections (lists) from the other two (or more) databases. You could mix and match on lists, and rate a stuff in each database, but you wouldn't have apples, oranges, and llamas all in one database cluttering things up.

Of course, that ain't about to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
Having created several game series wiki pages (eg Strategy and Tactics Magazine) and geeklists documenting game series (eg SPI Quadrigames http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21584). I would be against having these as database entries. I strongly feel that is what wiki pages are for.

Now if you want a debate on what can be improved with wiki pages - well that is another story.

* Forums, geekmail and geeklists (and probably other areas) are not fully wikified yet - an example is that these points are displayed with asterisks rather than bullets).

* I think it is remiss that you cannot thumbsup a wiki page.

There is already a debate at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1536395 concerning the Quadrigame series entries. The individual game entries for the Napoleon's Last Battles individual games have been recently deleted from the database. If we put in pages for game series will we start seeing deletions of more individual games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Lajos has arrived at a good solution--and he's certainly thought about it before proposing it, so he's probably more than a few steps ahead of us. I suggest that any implementation other than what he proposes be discussed with him: he may have seen problems with it and rejected it for a reason.

A new type of item could be created, but just using a game entry is a very low implementation cost solution: all that's really needed is to start approving series. Links could be established using the descriptions.

More could be said about the possibilities of series articles. Many articles have been written about the differences between the various games of a series, for example, the merits and demerits of TTR, TTR 1910, TTR Europe, and TTR Marklin. These games have much common strategy, and discussing the differences in one article could help players moving from one to the other. And, as has been mentioned, will TTR Something Else be published? Having one home for such articles would be a very good thing, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Dan and I are coming up with a solution that has merit.

While you're writing a few lines of code to fulfil a random whim, please implement a flagging system for avatars, so that conservative types can switch off those that offend. Dan tells me that some avatars offend a large number of users. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.