Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Myrmes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Movement question - Coming out of tunnel directly onto "controlled" hex? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If My tunnnel is directly connected to my pheromones, when I first exit a tunnel with a worker (aka when I come onto the board), is everything I control to which I'm currently connected considered 0 spaces away?

Aka - if my 4 hex pheromone tile is connected directly to my tunnel, can I move off of the pheromone tile and onto another tile (not off of my tunnel) for my first point of movement?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Davis
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I am fairly sure stepping on your first pheromone is 1 space away. The pheromone is not part of the tunnel.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But the rulebook states that everything controlled by a given player is considered one tile (somewhat of a paraphrase). So I'm asking how we play that rule into the concept of coming out of the tunnel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the rulebook, page 7:

"For 1 movement point, a worker can either move through an empty space or cross an entire pheremone tile."

This does not imply that everything you own is one tile.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
But the rulebook states that everything controlled by a given player is considered one tile (somewhat of a paraphrase).


That's a pretty significant paraphrase, no?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Per the rulebook, page 7:

"For 1 movement point, a worker can either move through an empty space or cross an entire pheremone tile."

This does not imply that everything you own is one tile.


TO further add to that sentence, it doesn't say 'cross an entire pheromone tile'. It says, "...cross an entire tile (pheromone, tunnel or special tile, which is considered a single empty space)".

So, in this regard, it would be very easy to read that the argument here is that any of those things, when touching, are considered an entire single space, and would be rightly defined as an entire tile (as the parenthetical qualifies what an entire tile is).

As it first says one can pay a movement to move through an empty space, and then further identifies that all of these are considered an empty space, I think it's understandable that one would read that all of those things are considered a single empty space.

Follow up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
TO further add to that sentence, it doesn't say 'cross an entire pheromone tile'. It says, "...cross an entire tile (pheromone, tunnel or special tile, which is considered a single empty space)".

So, in this regard, it would be very easy to read that the argument here is that any of those things, when touching, are considered an entire single space, and would be rightly defined as an entire tile (as the parenthetical qualifies what an entire tile is).


No, its not "easy" to do that. One tile is one tile. Two tiles are two tiles. The word "pheremone" in the parenthesis is there to clarify the different kind of tiles in the game. There is nothing in that sentence that implies you can treat two tiles as one. The word "touching" does appear anywhere in that paragraph in the manual. You have made it up. Furthermore, the word "or" in that sentence tends to indicate exclusivity. If you could combine tiles into a single space, they would probably use the word "and" instead.

That said, there is a licenced implementation of Myrmes you can play on boiteajeux.net. I've not played myself, but someone who has can likely chime in and clarify how they handle the movement rule.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, David. While I disagree with your application of discourse analysis here, you may well be right!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.