Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Campaign Guide for Android rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
Google Play Store link: Arkham Campaign Guide

As part of learning Android development, I've created an app version of the Campaign Guide. It includes all of the flavour text and setup instructions, and tracks everything that I believe needs to be tracked for each investigator and in the Campaign Log. It also automates all of the effects of each scenario resolution.

The way the app is laid out assumes a small bit of knowledge about the scenarios and the campaign. It therefore probably isn't suitable for a first playthrough, but if you're like me and playing through the campaign again and again, it's a good way to save some time and save all your campaigns.

The two things that aren't currently supported by the app are changes in the players playing and the standalone scenarios (I'm in the UK, so don't have access to them yet). If you have any ideas for anything else which the app should support (or any suggestions for how it should be changed), please do say. I intend to continue to support the app through future releases (a placeholder button for The Dunwich Legacy is already in).

As I'm a very new programmer, the chance of bugs in the app are pretty much 100%, so please do report anything you find. I hope other people find it as useful as I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This confused me for a moment since Android is also a family of FFG Games. You're talking about a Guide for the Arkham Horror Living Card Game available that uses the Android Mobile Operating System, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
This confused me for a moment since Android is also a family of FFG Games. You're talking about a Guide for the Arkham Horror Living Card Game available that uses the Android Mobile Operating System, right?

Haha, yes, sorry about the confusion, I didn't even think about that! Just wanted to make it clear that it's for Android and not iOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bigler
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mb
Found a little bug: if you try to start a Campaign without setting a name to it, the application crashes.

Anyway, it is a VERY necessary app - even more than a Chaos Bag App. But, if could manage to add the chaos bag to your app, it would be GREAT.

Congratz for the well done job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Any way you can port this to iOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
Arkano wrote:
Found a little bug: if you try to start a Campaign without setting a name to it, the application crashes.

Anyway, it is a VERY necessary app - even more than a Chaos Bag App. But, if could manage to add the chaos bag to your app, it would be GREAT.

Congratz for the well done job.

Thanks! And thanks for the bug report, it was very easily fixed and the fix should be up soon.

Adding the Chaos Bag to it is something I'll add as a longer term goal (there's already a tab to select the difficulty, so I'd hope it won't be too difficult); my ultimate aim is for this to do everything someone might want from a companion app.

Nushura wrote:
Great idea! Any way you can port this to iOS?

My understanding is that programming for iOS is quite different, so it would be quite difficult (as it would involve learning a completely new environment). I also unfortunately don't have any iOS devices I could test it on, but depending on how much demand there is for the Android version, it's something I'd probably consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Atredis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is nice. One thing I have been looking for is an easy deck list app, that I can select all the cards in my deck, in case I end up playing multiple camppaigns at one using different decks. That would be great to see, although alot more of a time investment for sure. I know arkhamdb does this, but honestly not a fan of browsing the site on my phone and I rarely get on my home PC, so an app, or if this were included on your app that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hills
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded this today, Pretty cool Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
A little necro for this thread, but just wanted to thank the OP for the app. Constantly updated and the addition of the new Chaos Bag (and the recent update where you can link to ArkhamDB.com decks) makes this a perfect app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app, I have no complaints at all. So much easier than paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Any plans to make it for iphones? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A web based app would be universally usable. I know iPhones are Anathema to many, but this seems like something that would be useful for more than just Android users.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten BN
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we need an IOS one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a web app...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea when the later mythos packs will be in the app? I am on Interlude 2 and the intro tab says "this scenario is not available yet". I really like having campaign logs in my pocket (to the point that I would pay US$5 for the app) so I hope you are still adding new content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
Doppelbock wrote:
Any idea when the later mythos packs will be in the app?

The OP (he's the app's dev) updated the app yesterday and said the following:

Quote:
With many apologies for the long delay (part of which was out of my control), this update adds Undimensioned and Unseen. A further update with Where Doom Awaits will be coming shortly, and I will try not to let another scenario update be as delayed as this one has been.

Much obliged to him. I love this app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the update not long after my post, thank you for your continuing efforts Swiftfooted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.