Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 of us got together to play our first game of Dune (the person who brought it had played before) Two of us had read the rules 6 months ago, but didn't remember all the details and the person who brought it hadn't played in what seemed like years. Our group tends to like learning by playing instead of reading rules out-loud, so we jumped into it after a very brief rundown. As we found out, this was a very bad mistake as you need at least one person to know the rules well for this to work:

On the first turn, the Harokonnen player moved six troops out to pick up some spice that appeared nearby. I was playing Atredies and decided that since we were blood enemies, I would make the attack. I moved 8 people into his sietch and killed his leader with my lasegun (which I bought for 7 spice) and committed 7 men. During the next round, a worm appeared and ate all of his troops in the desert. Harkonnen Troops on Dune = 0, Atredies Troops = 3.

After the worm appeared, the emperor and the spacing guild teamed up. As they were the only players with spice, we were all in for a beating. The emperor was flush with spice and the spacing guild only charged him 1/2 price, so he dropped 16 men on my main sietch. The spacing guild decided to go for the win by taking Carthag against my now 3 guys. Unfortunately for him and the Emperor's plans, my lasegun went right into his shield killing everyone.

I won't go into the rest of the details of the game, but basically the Harkonnen and I were on charity with no troops for the rest of the game. The Fremen were wandering around the desert pointlessly, the Bene Gesserit had landed a person in pretty much every location without much of a force. The Guild remarkably kept fumbling the Emperor's plans so he ditched that alliance and joined with the Harkonnen for an easy win on turn 4.

This was a pretty pathetic game session. I just read over the rules and realized where we made several mistakes on the rules. Anyway, we definitely want to play again now that we have a better understanding. Stupid newbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious what rules you got wrong. It may help others when they are learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of the ones I didn't get. I may have missed the explanation and other people in the group may have understood some of these:

Imperial Basin is safe from the storm

Another card is turned over after the worm.

The first person in the bidding round changes for each card.

The storm destroys everything it passes over, not just the territory. (This was probably just me not thinking.)

You can ship people to Dune AND move tokens already on the board on the same turn.

Just owning either Arrakeen or Carthag lets any of your people use an Ornithopter.

Ties goto the aggressor

A token can collect two spice or three if you own Carthag or Arrakeen. (We played one spice per person.)

Tuek's sietch also collects a spice with the increased spice flow rule.

There should have been two spice blow decks with two territories receiving spice.

There was probably other stuff specific to each faction that we mis-played. We also did a lot of newb mistakes abuot over bidding for cards, commiting too many troops to battle, etc...

Also we weren't really haggling and plotting much. There wasn't a lot of dealing going on. Since I had no spice income, I should have been offering people to know what the cards they were bidding on for cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was one wacky game. Notice how even though I lost everything on turn 1 I didn't say, "This game is broken, there's no way I can win!"? See, I played my reverse-reverse psychology. I like how I added absolutely nothing to that alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Imperial Basin is safe from the storm
We had this one right, but it didn't matter as the storm never got that far.

2) Another card is turned over after the worm.
Yeah, we figured that out on the last turn. That's why we were all so poor. Prolly would've really helped the Fremen.

3)The first person in the bidding round changes for each card.
Hmmmm....that's more interesting. Good bluff chance for Atreides each turn.

4)The storm destroys everything it passes over, not just the territory. (This was probably just me not thinking.)
I remember this from the rules, but it didn't come up as the storm only moved once (stupid variant), and only passed over safe tokens.

5)You can ship people to Dune AND move tokens already on the board on the same turn.
That's a big one. That would have helped Atreides and Harkhonnen immensely in re-establishing themselves.

6)Just owning either Arrakeen or Carthag lets any of your people use an Ornithopter.
That's cool, but I don't think that it would have changed anything. With the exception of turn 1, no one who controlled those spaces made any on board moves (cuz we missed #5 above). The first turn, we did use the ornithopters.

7)Ties goto the aggressor
The only tie was on my suicide attack on the Emperor in Carthag to prevent the win. That would have resolved the same way (though if we'd gotten #5 right, I might've just flat out won).

8)A token can collect two spice or three if you own Carthag or Arrakeen. (We played one spice per person.)
This would have made a HUGE difference to me (I would have been able to leave 8 on Carthag on turn 1).

9)Tuek's sietch also collects a spice with the increased spice flow rule.
Tuek's DID collect 1 per turn. Is that wrong?

10)There should have been two spice blow decks with two territories receiving spice.
No wonder we were so poor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were pretty much a piece of wet ham, but at least you weren't sandbagging like the Guild or lost in the desert like the Fremen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving those Fremen to the Polar sink...shake
We don't need dice in any game that involves Willy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
discoking7 wrote:

We don't need dice in any game that involves Willy.

That is a great point. I need to play more Euros with him. Maybe they would feel more Ameritrashy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I moved 8 people into his sietch and killed his leader with my lasegun (which I bought for 7 spice)

That brings up a question, when you bid on cards are they face down or face up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They were hidden, but as the Atredies when I took interest in the card, the Emperor started bidding against me since he guessed it was good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
discoking7 wrote:
4)The storm destroys everything it passes over, not just the territory. (This was probably just me not thinking.)
I remember this from the rules, but it didn't come up as the storm only moved once (stupid variant), and only passed over safe tokens.

Why wasn't the storm moving? If you're using the basic rules, it moves from 2-6 each turn, and if you're using the advanced rules, it moves from 1-6 each turn.

Quote:
10)There should have been two spice blow decks with two territories receiving spice.
No wonder we were so poor...

Only in the advanced rules if you use Spice to pay for armies in combat. Most games I play I don't use those rules, and only have one spice blow/turn.

In general, Spice doesn't leave the game much - it tends to be handed between the Guild and Emperor. You pay the Guild for shipping, you pay the Emperor for the Treachery cards. Only when the Guild ships or the Emperor wins a Treachery card do you lose spice.

When I'm playing the Guild - perhaps my favourite side - I tend to offer free shipping down to key strongholds. (They give me the spice, I give it right back). It's lots of fun doing that.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy who brought the game said that you roll a die and the storm only moves that many turns from now. Since our game was only 4 turns long, the die roll must have been high (Only the Fremen player knew it)

We were playing the advanced rules with all the options. (supposedly) I wasn't a fan of having to support the troops.

Do they Atredies and Harkonnen pretty much only get income from taking spice blows? What about the Bene Gesserit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finnianp wrote:
The guy who brought the game said that you roll a die and the storm only moves that many turns from now. Since our game was only 4 turns long, the die roll must have been high (Only the Fremen player knew it)

The actual rule is that every turn in the Storm phase, the Storm moves the number of regions indicated by the die roll. Well, actually a chit chosen randomly by the Fremen, but the same difference.

It's very amusing once the Shield Wall is destroyed (by Family Atomics) to see everyone scurry in and out of Carthag, Arrakeen and the Imperial Basin, because they're no longer protected from the storm.

Quote:
We were playing the advanced rules with all the options. (supposedly) I wasn't a fan of having to support the troops.

Neither am I. I never play with that rule - I use all the advanced House abilities, but not the support the troops rule. If you use that rule, you need to have two Spice cards per round. Really.

Quote:
Do they Atredies and Harkonnen pretty much only get income from taking spice blows? What about the Bene Gesserit?

Yes, mostly from Spice Blows.

When you win a battle, you also get spice equal to the value of any killed leaders (including your own).

As the Atreides, I sell knowledge of upcoming treachery cards for spice. As the Harkonnen, I use my superior treachery cards to gain spice for killing leaders.

The Bene Gesserit have the ability to claim CHOAM Charity (2 spice) every turn, regardless of how much spice they actually have. In general, the BG tend to stay out of battle, and their "Spiritual Advisors" ship down for free, meaning they don't need spice so much.

Fremen don't need to pay for revivals, and "ship" for free. They really don't need spice for anything but Treachery cards. The Guild *hates* the Fremen because they don't pay them spice!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, we obviously played the storm wrong. Is their a shield wall in the imperial basin?

We also didn't play the gain spice from dead leaders. That is pretty major!

Do the Bene Gesserit tend to win by being part of an alliance? I can see them using their ability to make someone choose cards to good effect, but by themselves, they seem very weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finnianp wrote:
Yep, we obviously played the storm wrong. Is their a shield wall in the imperial basin?

Just clockwise of the two cities and the Imperial Basin is a spur of rock... the Shield Wall. Family Atomics (a treachery card) can get rid of it. The storm proceeds anti-clockwise.

One of the best moments is when you can use Family Atomics followed by Weather Control to move the storm up to 10 sectors...

Quote:
We also didn't play the gain spice from dead leaders. That is pretty major!

Indeed it is!

Quote:
Do the Bene Gesserit tend to win by being part of an alliance? I can see them using their ability to make someone choose cards to good effect, but by themselves, they seem very weak.

The BG have the best leaders in the game, and the ability to eliminate enemy leaders at will (if they have a weapon), or to protect their own leaders. They don't have the troops, but they often don't need them.

Being able to say, "You will NOT use a Poison Defence" is huge... if their opponent can't eliminate the BG leader, that's five extra points.

BG/Atreides alliance is really frustrating to play against. BG says, "You will NOT use a Poison Defence", and the Atreides says, "Show me your weapon..."

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! Also I was imagining the shield wall to be like Star Trek type shields over each of the cities. Didn't click for some reason that it was a region.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Belyakov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
Stop tickling my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
finnianp wrote:
Also I was imagining the shield wall to be like Star Trek type shields over each of the cities. Didn't click for some reason that it was a region.

Have you seen the Dune movie (read the book)? They actually nuked a hole in the Shield Wall mountain for the storm to overcome Arrakeen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Bloom
United States
Latham
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:

The Bene Gesserit have the ability to claim CHOAM Charity (2 spice) every turn, regardless of how much spice they actually have.
Merric

I thought they only got 1 spice for CHOAM Charity.... they get 2? Where can I find this?

Thanks for your help.

I'm new to AH Dune but I'm making my own ASAP since I played it for the first time 3 weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's under section VIII "Bidding Round" Section I, CHOAM Charity.

" At the start of the bidding round, any player who has no spice may collect two spice from the spice bank by calling out "CHOAM Charity""

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Bloom
United States
Latham
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...blush
I read that as 1 and My only time playing I was BeGees and was only getting 1 spice ... OK Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.