Xtronaut: The Game of Solar System Exploration» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mission cancelled card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Thomas
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
When a player gets the Mission Cancelled action card and they are forced to draw a new mission, do they:
1) draw three mission cards and pick (as at the end of a successful launch)
2) return their cards from the board to their hand?

We got this as a family gift for Christmas and my girls loved playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Chase
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we decided that it was a simple "draw one and use it" situation, but we never found a definitive answer in the rules.
I guess I look at drawing three and choosing one like a reward for successfully launching a rocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Smith
msg tools
I've only played it once, but my 'friend' dropped a card on me to cancel my mission.

- The Mission Cancelled action card said that only the mission was cancelled, it didn't say anything about losing any rocket components that you had built, so we kept the rocket.

- We did, however, decide to use the same 'draw three and choose one' mechanic that's used when a mission is successfully launched. Our reasoning was that, in reality, NASA would evaluate potential missions and choose a new one whether they'd just successfully launched something, or whether Congress cancelled their current mission.

Edited to add that I should've looked at some of the other forum entries. Dante, the game designer, clarified that you draw three mission cards, read the backs, and select one whether the prior mission was cancelled or successfully launched. Here's the forum entry where he answered: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1627908/couple-more-que...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Thomas
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey, thanks for answering. We also decided that the "draw three" mechanic seemed right.

The other part of the question is whether the cards need to be returned to the hand. It only occurred to us after we had played a few times that we are only supposed to place the cards on the board in Phase 4 (Build). We were moving cards to and from the hand whenever we wanted but this can be used to game the five card hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.