Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a handful of games of this masterpiece and enjoyed every game. But recently I got to thinking about Canada. This country is represented upon the map and is appropriately stable, but not once in our games has it ever been a factor.

Even the most obscure of countries has had a visit or two from "Mr Influence Chit" but not Canada, so I ask you fellow BGGers:

In your games, has Canada ever been used? Further, has it ever been critical? Were Canada not to exist, would it make any difference?

Please share your Canadian experiences!

Edit: Promoted Canada from a County to a Country - sorry guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh...we're still thought of as a mere county. One day, maybe we'll achieve country status!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen anyone place influence in Canada. The fact that it is adjacent to the USA makes it vaguely interesting, more so for the Soviets than the Americans. But it's very hard for the Soviets to reach, and very expensive for either player to take over. So it's really hard to think of a situation where someone's best move would be to go after Canada.

It might have been better for game play if they'd left Canada out and just had the UK adjacent to the USA instead. Kind of disrespectful to our friendly Canadian neighbors, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the USSR could get control of Canada it would be worth a VP, being adjacent to the USA.

But the only way I can see that happening is via De-Stalinisation, since the USSR never puts influence in the UK. And any Canadian prescence would be vulnerable to realignement.

Now, if there was a connection between Canada and France (aka Quebec), then I could see it getting some action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen it used but I could see it come into play if the battle for Europe becomes particularly fierce. It seems to me like when that happens, the USA preses its advantage in the region by bolstering their influence in the majority of BG states, while the soviet player simply grabs control of the myriad of non-BG's in eastern Europe.

It sorta seems like the soviets can negate the west's easy access to france and italy by simply controling more states overall. in that case I can see Canada being sorta valuable as simple another state...increasing the US chances that they will gain more overall countries.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can remember going into Canada as the USSR once. I used de-Stalinization, IIRC. Its been a long time ago, and in a similar situation today I might think it was a suboptimal move...but at the time it seemed reasonable and did net me a couple VPs since it held up for the duration of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Canada gets no attention in any of my games either. Its stability is just too high to make it worthwhile, so other European nations get more attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Never once seen influence there in my 40ish games. Actually kinda forgot about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Soviet player is actually better placed taking non-battlegrounds in Western Europe if he can manage it. West European countries don't suffer from Independent Reds or East European Unrest. Of course, East European countries are rather easier to acquire from the USSR!

edit: What about Somalia? Anyone ever seen any influence turn up there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regrettably, for our noble neighbors to the north, they really do get short shrift here. However, I did once get into a contest for Europe so tight, that we filled every country. In retrospect it was probably a waste of resources, but as with everything in TS, if you are both in the contest, it is worth it. In any case, I did control Canada in that instance to prevent a Soviet Domination of Europe.

As I have said in other contexts, if I had it to do all over again, I would have a NORAD card that would give control of Canada to the US.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of my first games, I was playing the US and ended up puting influence in Canada. That was when, by mistake, we were playing so that defcon did not prevent realignment rolls in different regions. Just like Jason has mentioned, me and my opponent began a race for Europe and I ended up controlling Canada. It was actually a horrible game. My realignment rolls did not work at all and ,eventually I got kicked out of Europe and therefore, lost the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You made an interesting comment there Jason. I got me curious; if you had it to do all over again, are there other changes you'd make? Or is this something you want to keep close to the chest for future editions of TS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.