Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bet Shemesh Board Gaming Club's second meeting drew 3 guests (up from 1 the week before). If these trends continue... ayyyy .

Attendees: Avri, Lorien, Richie, Hdar, Yehuda

This was Hdar's first time attending, and was expecting social party games like Cranium. Now while Cranium is a great game when you have a lot of people, not all of whom may be gamers, or are just in a silly mood, we intended to introduce her to the wonderful world of Euro Games.

It was quickly decided that Settlers of Catan was the right game to start with especially since Hdar had never played any Euros before.
Yehuda had evidently never played basic settlers and had only been intoduced to Cities and Knights directly, so this was going to be the first time for him playing basic.

Since we had 5 players, and I _NEVER_ play Settlers with more than 4 (I don't even own the 5-6 expansions), Hdar and Lorien teamed up.

The board was set up and it looked to be an interesting game. The wood came out to be officially As Bad As It Can Ever Be. Wood was on 2,12,11,11. Brutal.

Richie got the advantage of placing last and he placed very well. He started with a 3:1 port and access to all 5 resources (taking one of the 11 woods). His strong placement and excellent luck skills quickly let him build a city. I picked up the brick port and Hdar/Lorien built to a 3:1. Richie built another settlement, picked up longest road, and built another city, putting him ridiculously in the lead. Yehuda built to a 3:1, and accidently revealed a victory point card he had bought since he was used to the C&K rules. Hdar/Lorien and I then were able to build cities of our own, and Richie get yet another settlement.

Richie's lead was insurmountable, but he rolled a 7 on his turn to make it last one round longer. Hdar/Lorien built a last settlement on the wood port (for all the good that would do), and I took a meaningless sheep port. Then Richie picked up 8 resources in 2 rolls and a 7 wasn't rolled this time, and that was that. He had 18 cards on his turn and just threw them down on the table.

Final Scores:
Yehuda - 5, Hdar/Lorien - 5, Avri - 5, Richie - 10+++

Even with the thrashing we all received, Hdar enjoyed it and requested a second game.
We decided to shake it up a bit and add in Seafarers, which is not a huge rules jump.

(Continued in Seafarers of Catan session reports...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Key
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
The board was set up and it looked to be an interesting game. The wood came out to be officially As Bad As It Can Ever Be. Wood was on 2,12,11,11. Brutal.

Naah... just play a wheat/ore strategy and watch them suffer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
Attendees: Avri, Lorien, Richie, Hdar, Yehuda

Since we had 5 players, and I _NEVER_ play Settlers with more than 4 (I don't even own the 5-6 expansions), Hdar and Lorien teamed up.
This has happened to me as well, and it works well if you sit out and instruct, while the newer players play the 4.

It has many benefits:
1) gives you more attention to teach each player
2) You can see their secret info and advise, if they want, with no conflicts of interest.
3) It lets newer people play, as opposed to someone who has played plenty.
4) It's more likely the game will be close between all (new) players.
5) It removes the potential resentment people may feel of the owner/teacher of the game possibly winning (especially in a rout).

Just a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was willing to sit out, but Lorien volunteered to team up. Hdar was the only new player there, so there wasn't really a need to do a full teaching game. It worked out really well with a tutor team.

I do agree with your assessment for teaching an entirely new game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:

Richie's lead was insurmountable, but he rolled a 7 on his turn to make it last one round longer. Hdar/Lorien built a last settlement on the wood port (for all the good that would do), and I took a meaningless sheep port. Then Richie picked up 8 resources in 2 rolls and a 7 wasn't rolled this time, and that was that. He had 18 cards on his turn and just threw them down on the table.

Deja Vu?

RIMMER: Anyway, to cut a long story short I threw a five and a four which beat his three and a two, another double six followed by a double four and a double five. After he'd thrown a three and a two I threw a six and a three.......etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You saying it's a little dry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm spoilt for quotes now, but how about;

'I'm in a state of non-grippedness'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.