Battleground» Forums » General

Subject: faction for starter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heng Wang
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a miniatures gamer, but I want a lighter game for lunch breaks, and times when playing an entire round of miniatures is unfeasible

Battleground looks like my answer; I'm pretty much already sold on the game after trying a demo and teh card art is very cool.

I totally want to play Lizardmen when they come out (c'mon...a T-Rex charging at medieval troops devil), but since they are coming out in august (in time for GenCon?), what is a good faction to start out with now? I'm leaning toward orcs currently...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

The factions really come down to personal preference. You can see more about them on the individual army pages at www.yourmovegames.com, but basically:

Men of Hawkshold -- based on medieval England, no monsters but nice variety of troops, rewards superior strategic planning.

Orcs -- strong and aggressive, Orcs, Goblins and Trolls.

Undead -- lots of monsters, most of your army doesn't rout.

Elves of Ravenwood -- wood elves, high-skill, low toughness with a lot of forest allies (Treants, Centaurs, animals)

Dwarves of Runegard -- very tough, hard to break, mostly infantry.

Umenzi Tribesmen -- lots of cheap units, spellcasting units, the biggest monster in the game (at least until T-Rex)...probably the most complicated faction to play.

I like them all...but then, I would.

Regards,
Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still relatively new - I did what I usually do, however, and bought all of it. (Except for the Umenzi, who aren't in-stock at my FLGS, yet).

The Men and Orcs are the most well-rounded.

The Undead are very fragile, the Dwarves are slow. The elves are relatively fragile, but have allies (such as bears) that compensate.

If you were getting started, I'd suggest 1 Men of Hawkshold starter and one Orc starter, so you can get a feel for the game. Be sure to download the rules from here, however, as there have been some significant improvements since these two factions were printed.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
I'm still relatively new - I did what I usually do, however, and bought all of it. (Except for the Umenzi, who aren't in-stock at my FLGS, yet).

They just shipped; you should get them soon! (Meanwhile, thanks for buying!)

Quote:
The Undead are very fragile, the Dwarves are slow. The elves are relatively fragile, but have allies (such as bears) that compensate.

My only disagreement is on the Undead being fragile. Skeletons and Ghouls, sure...but Abominations? Zombies (for their point cost)? Giant Catapult? Between non-routing and high toughness, I'd say the Undead were the second-hardest army to break (behind the Dwarves, and close with an all-Orc army).

Quote:
If you were getting started, I'd suggest 1 Men of Hawkshold starter and one Orc starter, so you can get a feel for the game. Be sure to download the rules from here, however, as there have been some significant improvements since these two factions were printed.

The current rules on our website are also a lot easier to read than the booklet form.

[/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Gamethyme wrote:

They just shipped; you should get them soon! (Meanwhile, thanks for buying!)
Thanks for creating!

Quote:
Quote:

My only disagreement is on the Undead being fragile. Skeletons and Ghouls, sure...but Abominations? Zombies (for their point cost)? Giant Catapult? Between non-routing and high toughness, I'd say the Undead were the second-hardest army to break (behind the Dwarves, and close with an all-Orc army).

I've not had too much trouble - the Undead are remarkably easy to soften up at range. Especially if you focus the range on their Skeleton Archers first - I usually kill Archers in two volleys, and spend a good portion of the game maneuvering so that their units engage mine within short range of my archers (or equivalent).

I'm not an expert - I'm the first to admit that. Zombies are, indeed, tough for their cost. But their low skill and speed more than balances that.

Giant Catapults aren't in the starters - they're a Reinforcement Pack unit. I realize that a great deal of the game (and army-building) factors in the Reinforcement Pack units, but my first few games were Undead vs. Orcs using the basic armies suggested in the starter. Obviously, it's colored my opinion of several of the armies.

Quote:
Quote:

The current rules on our website are also a lot easier to read than the booklet form.

[/q]I absolutely agree.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heng Wang
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
me and my friend just got a deck each (i got orc, he got human)...all i can say is..YMG, you just got a fan for life!

never have I played a 2D "light" game with enough tactical depth like Battleground!

I can't wait for Lizardmen now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.