Angelus Morningstar
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally published here, do not replicate without permission or attribution: http://storyboardwebseries.tumblr.com/post/155959252737/voya...

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StoryBoardGames/
twitter: https://twitter.com/StoryBoardWebtv

Synopsis: You are an alien faction vying for dominance over a powerful vessel that has intruded upon your world. This is the ark and is looming large over the world, granting a powerful vantage point for all to lay claim to.

You will win if you are the first to a certain number of paragon. Paragon can be earned in several ways, and most of them require you to roll paragon dice. You will roll either one or two paragon dice whenever you defeat a soldier, and whenever you maintain control of the ark at the end of your turn. You may also steal paragon from other players if you successfully raid another player’s base.

For the most part, this is a king of the hill type game. Most of your efforts go into attempting to take control of the ark and use it as a bastion from which to attack other players. If the ark is occupied by a solider not under your control, you may only attack the ark; otherwise if you do control the ark you have the option of attempting an attack on other players.

The start of each turn allows players to roll a set of dice, using the Yahtzee mechanism. In doing so they will form a dice poll from either economic or military dice, which may either add resources to their pool, or offer the option to instigate an attack. Once resources have been collected, a player is free to spend their resources on buying other soldiers, civilian support, structure support, or bring about an event. It’s also possible to upgrade the base, which provides a minimal and passive amount of income, as well as a better baseline defence for your soldiers.

Commentary: I went into this game with the impression that I was about to play King of Tokyo, but with a steampunk twist and a more nuanced means of combat and control. While this is true, I don’t think it gave the game any favours. The few times that I played this game, the game started with a strong sense of excitement, but petered out as the game wore on.

There is a wealth of lore and theme to this game that brought me into it in the first place. However, I found that this theme was assembled loosely and gently around a king-of-the-hill type game with little gave the kind of pacing that the game promised.

So much of this game was about pushing back and forth over small victories and very little of it seemed to really matter or feel like an achievement. It was two steps forward and one step back. Yes, I’d claim a victory but control over the ark was vital and could never really be sustained for long periods of time. These were wars of grinding attrition, and not in depth strategy. It was simply a case of crunch the numbers and push a cube.

The game promises less than an hour of play, but I found the game wearing on beyond that consistently. In the first hour, I was excited; in the second hour, I was bored; in the third hour, I didn’t care about who won I just wanted the game to end. That is not the result you want for a game, to be so disaffected by the game you don’t care about the outcome.

Verdict:
This game is a big pass for me. As much as I wanted to like the game for its theme and ideas, I couldn’t get into the game play at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 hours?

Playing time says an hour average. Is it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Morningstar
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we played over three hours, I assumed I was doing something wrong. So I poured over the rules and found one small error, which I assumed would speed up the game. It did a bit but not dramatically.

It's possible that I've still failed to grasp something very important about this game, or that I'm just an anomalous outlier. Otherwise the game dragged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
I dunno, I've tried it with 3 and 2 people a few times, each game dragged on. So it's at least not just you

Grinding wars of attrition sums it up quite vividly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.