Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nowak
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great Christmas!

At long last, my total conversion of “Star Trek: Attack Wing” into “Star Trek: Fleet Admiral” has reached public beta readiness! (in my humble opinion...)

Some highlights of “Fleet Admiral” …

COMPLETE rewrite of Attack Wing, taking inspiration from Star Fleet Battles, Star Trek Armada (the PC games), and various canon and beta-canon Star Trek sources.

Current ship count: 98 ships/variants!

Up to 8 weapon systems per ship (4 primary/4 secondary - each ship typically has 4-7 weapons total)

A great variety of weapon types that are modeled after their canon and/or SFB/STA appearances (i.e. no more completely foolish "every ship has a 90 degree forward arc and that's it" nonsense)

Direct fire vs seeking vs BSR standoff weapons

4 shield arcs, secondary shield, armor, and underlying hull

Full suite of Critical Damage effects tailored to the new game system

Streamlined defensive fire (i.e. point defense phasers against missiles/plasma)

A powerful, yet simple to use engineering system that completely replaces the action/card system (divert power to systems to strengthen some aspect of your ship's warfighting capabilities - Electronic Warfare, Engines, Weapons, Shields, Cloaking, and more)

Simple but important Electronic Warfare (ECM/ECCM/Full Lock/Full Jamming)

Elimination of nearly all tokens on the board to speed up play

Simultaneous play for most round phases and simplified turn order/initiative

Greatly altered movement system, courtesy of the new engineering system

Tactical Warp (with stress)

High-Energy Turns (with stress)

Reaction Movement

Total rework of cloaking

Lots of ship variants - including support ships that offer: theater-wide EWOPS, special ops, Shield augmentation, forced movement of enemy ships, movement inhibition, point-defense picket ships, and more

Lots of new "space terrain."

All ship information is contained on a single sheet for streamlined play

Fast and streamlined play for the depth offered (the typical 6-8 ship engagement takes ~90 minutes once everyone is experienced with the new system)

Everything is available to download @

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1kEh0vhhxt5aXU0S2pQ...

This will also be hosted on BGG under the Attack Wing starter game entry.

18 months of development in my free time, including 6 months of closed beta have refined the game to its current state. There is of course still work to be done, as follows:

Continue to balance ship FP values through further beta testing.
Continue to create more ship variants and implement a few STAW ship models that are not yet implemented.
Continue to balance the Borg.
Finalize and publish rules for variants.
Continue to ensure that the game remains faithful to Star Trek canon while staying FUN to play.
The “Unknown unknowns” that are sure to crop up.

I’d love to hear your feedback on any aspect of Fleet Admiral. Please note, however, that this is just a hobby of mine and my RL career keeps my busy, so I likely cannot respond to every message, but I do try to read most everything. Updates will be as needed and time permitting.

Thank you for taking a look, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not having luck with the google link so please let us know when it posts to BGG.

THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nowak
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please try the link now, it should be fixed. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work Andrew. I was hoping someone would come up with something with more meat on the bones that are the ST:AW rules.

I hope to give it a run in the new year. As for requests, well... my favorite aspect of ST:AW vis-a-vis X-Wing was the inclusion of scenarios. So my question is, have you considered how applicable your ruleset is to the published scenarios as written?

I intend to play them as-is and see how your rules handle them. But if you already know it won't work, let us know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nowak
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My advice with using STAW scenarios in STFA:

As is? The scenarios may play OK, but STFA is such an extensive rework that you'll probably run into at least some quirks as you try this. It could still be rather fun, though. Your biggest problems will come during scenarios with very dissimilar ships, in particular "1 super-ship vs. many weaker ships" type of missions.

Conversion with just a little bit of work and testing, on the other hand? Absolutely this is possible!

There will be two challenges to overcome, balance and conversion of custom mechanics. And an eye should be kept on offensive/defensive scaling.

The first should be somewhat simple to do, at least to a decent degree: Look at the FP ratio for the two sides in the scenario in STAW, and then look at the same ratio using the STFA ships. Adjust the STFA fleets until the ratio is close to the original STAW ratio, and then playtest.

The second is custom mechanics, which will require a touch of creativity, but it's absolutely doable. I've designed the STFA round sequence with the flexibility to adapt to custom scenario actions at multiple steps in the turn, primarily during Upkeep and during Movement. For example, a scenario involving beaming aboard a resource from a planet could allow the transport to occur once per turn during a ship's Movement Step (4e and 4f) if the original STAW scenario allowed to to occur "as an action." Effects that happen at the beginning of a round simply occur during Sector Upkeep (1a) and end of a round effects would occur during Cleanup (7a). You'll need to use some intuition when it comes to special upgrades or modifications to ships.

Finally, pay attention to scaling. Most ships tend to be a bit more durable in STFA (lower offense:defense ratio), so you may need to adjust the difficulty or duration of some missions to account for this, for example the Kobayashi Maru scenario, directly translated per the above, is likely easier in STFA vs in STAW.

So, yes, it requires some work, but they can be done.

You've actually hit on how I plan to support STFA after I've finalized everything in STFA/WK stops releasing new ships/etc., by writing custom missions built for STFA, and converting some of my favorites from STAW. Some of the planned game modes are also very mission-like in nature.

The best thing of all though, is that anyone can write a custom scenario for the STFA rules and ships. I look forward to seeing what STFA players come up with.

I hope you enjoy STFA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nowak
United States
De Pere
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is up on BGG now.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/141401/star-trek-fleet-ad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.