Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Stoppiello
United States
Port Jefferson Station
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preface

In the grim future of Android, the CEOs of the megacorps that run New Angeles decided that they wanted to collectively take a vacation for an entire fiscal quarter. Perhaps it was ennui that eventually led to an almost suicidal desire for black comedy to see you struggle; perhaps they just hate you. It really doesn't matter. You are alone; truly alone in the fight to keep order in one of the most disorderly and dense cities in the world while a small army of interns are left behind the man the offices of the other megacorps. All of them are eager to please their corporate masters. All of them have no idea what they're doing.

Note: THIS IS NOT THE IDEAL WAY TO PLAY THIS GAME. If you bought the game, you already know this. It's a multiplayer game of negotiation, greed, and subterfuge. That is the spirit of the game and this solo variant goes completely against it, even if it does keep the same rules for the most part.

This is not about negotiation. This isn't even about greed anymore. This is about survival; corporate survival-horror, in fact. It's the worst nightmare of any executive: your colleagues have been replaced by people completely and utterly incompetent at their job. It sounds like the perfect environment to make money and maybe it is, but New Angeles does not run itself.

Rules

Note: You will need a d10 or similar means of randomizing the districts.

The object of the game is simply to survive the entire game without threat reaching 25. You can optionally track your personal capital for score-attacking, but it'll be a miracle if the game doesn't end with government intervention, to be perfectly honest with you.

Game set up is per the rules except for the following:

1. Remove all rival cards. They won't be needed.

2. Use the four-player side of the corp ID.

3. Choose from one to five AI opponents. The more AI, the more chaos.

4. Shuffle the AI's initial three cards and place them face down. Do this every time they draw cards as part of their turn, from an action card, or from an asset. When they are required to discard for any reason, they will always discard from the top.

5. You always go first.

You can optionally take an investment card as well if you're feeling ballsy.

Game flow is per the rules with the following changes:

1. When you are the active player, your actions always pass and you always get the asset on offer. The AI will never block your actions. They will end up discarding just as many cards as they draw, probably robbing you of precious options.

2. When the AI is the active player, they will draw as per normal, then shuffle their hand, then play the top card as their action. You can discard three cards from your own hand to block their action and then optionally play one of your own to take the asset.

3. If the AI's action passes, roll a d10. Their action card will take place in that district, ignoring any illegal moves, but also ignoring any 'if-then' statements. This might mean that Scorched Earth will place an outage on a district that was otherwise completely clean. The interns aren't bright. Prepare to bury your face in your hands on some turns. Actions that place units in a district will force them down the district chain as per the base rules.

4. Assets won by the AI are immediately vaporized and do nothing due to sheer incompetence. Assets won by the player may be completely useless to you, although I will likely revisit this and rewrite some of the assets to be usable for this variant (Caprice, for example, forcing the AI player's action to be performed in the district you want. Would also need to find something useful to replace Thomas Haas' ability.)

5. You can use any corp's emergency card as if it were your own with the same base rules. Doing so, however, flips your own emergency card as per the rules, preventing you from doing so until you can flip it again.

So what is the point of this variant? Well, I thought it was pretty silly and it also helps people become familiar with the board and the cards as well as most of the base mechanics of the game. It also turns from a negotiation game into a game of resource management and blind prayer and sometimes that can mean for fun and tense times. Again, this is NOT to the spirit of the original game at all, but if you're like me and have no friends, but still collect everything Android-related, you might get some fun out of this.

Any feedback on tweaking this to be more playable is absolutely welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stoppiello
United States
Port Jefferson Station
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that you can use this as a 2P or even 3P variant as well with any number of AI players using the same rules for the AI as well as the 'discard three to cancel an action' against other players. In this case, the game goes in typical clockwise order with each player getting a chance to cancel and replace as desired.

In this case, I definitely recommend keeping track of capital, but still not use rival cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baden Ronie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pretty interesting - I'll have to give this a whirl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stoppiello
United States
Port Jefferson Station
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this is a Brainstorming thread I assume it's ok to post an idea I had here:

All normal rules apply with the following exceptions:

1. Use all 6 corporations and you fully control all 6 corporations.

2. Remove the rival cards from the game, as they won't be needed.

3. If threat ever reaches 25+, you immediately lose.

4. The corporations cannot trade (no trading capital or assets).

5. The aim of the game is to get the highest possible score. Your score is calculated as follows:

You score positive points equal to the capital of the corporation with the lowest capital. Your score is then reduced by the final threat level doubled.

Scoring example:

HB, Globalsec, NBN, Weyland, Melange and Jinteki finish with 42, 65, 41, 43, 45 and 47 capital respectively and the final threat is 3. You score 41 positive points, and then your score is reduced by 3 doubled which is 6. Your final score is 41-6=35.

I have no idea what a good score is in this variant, but suspect 50+ is obtainable. I'll try and give it a try at some point and report back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
currently trying this now using all 6 corps. i'm on round 4 turn 1. it still is fun but now feels like im playing an eldritch horror retheme...bottomline, it feels like a tower defense game now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stoppiello
United States
Port Jefferson Station
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is probably the best summary of this variant I've seen. Like I said: corporate survival-horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.