Ollie Woodall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Picked this up from eBay a while back, on a nostalgia trip to playing this in the late 80s with friends.

Managed a game last night with my 10 and 11 yr old, and other-half. Very enjoyable and one of the first times the kids have applied attention for a full game that was more complex than Uno!

Some Rule queries came up though and I know the designer frequents these boards.

1) "When a Dolphin is moved onto a sea space occupied by a swimmer (or vice versa) a player may use his move of three spaces to resuce his Atlantean with the Dolphin"

Wait? For a Dolphin to 'move onto a sea space occupied by a swimmer', we must be on the spinner part of the turn, so there won't be any moves left to complete the move this turn right?

And if it's Vice Versa, then the Swimmer must've used a move already, to share the space with the Dolphin (whether by jumping off the island, or swimming to the Dolphin), so that 'ain't happening till next turn either right?

2) Any Atlanteans on a sinking Island peice are removed and placed on ANY OTHER ISLAND PIECE (Green, Yellow or Grey). If, when sinking an Island Piece, there are no spaces left on the Island, then any Atlanteans on the sinking island piece hace to dive into the sea and become swimmers on any sea space ADJACENT to the sinking Island Piece.

Ok...who moves the displaced Atlanteans? The person who removed the Island piece? If so, do they also control where in the sea the poor chumps have to go if there are no more spaces on the Island? What if at least one of the Adjacent sea spaces has a shark or sea monster in it? Can the Atlanteans all huddle on the same 'safe' space? Or is it one chump per space? Can the person moving the Atlanteans deliveratly move them into sea monster squares (even if a safe space is available) and thus have them eaten (muhhahhhahhha!) and what if ALL available spaces have Sharks or Sea Monsters in? I guess it's curtains for the swimmers?

3) Boarding Boats

I assume you can swim to a boat and board it? And I assume it's one move to move into the boat space AND board it. That's all a swimmer can do, as they have one move only. HOwever, once they are in the boat, they aren't a swimmer any more. So can you swim to an adjacent boat space with one move, then move the boat on 2 more spaces to complete your move turn? What if you move a boat to a swimmer space, is it one move for the swimmer to board (I say yes).

This is a fab game for younger players, and 4 works much better than 2 players. The ability to stitch each other up is a great way to develop a ruthless streak in your children who are otherwise conditioned to be 'fair' in every other aspect of their life ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually many versions of this game with slightly different rules. From your mention of spinner and Atlantean, I'm guessing you have the 1986 Waddington version. There's actually a separate game entry for it:
Escape from Atlantis

1. Yes, it's talking about the swimmer's next turn, as you're right the dolphin moves at the end of the turn.

2. I would say each player moves their own pieces... might depend on how cutthroat you want to play. The original and newest Survive versions of the game have the "Atlanteans" falling into the water in the same space as the removed land piece. If a shark or sea serpent appears there then they are instantly killed.

3. It takes one move to move into the space with the boat and a second move to board the boat. You could then move another space in the boat (for your third movement) as you are no longer a swimmer.

Hope that helps! This game is a true classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Woodall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks George. Really appreciate the reply! I've reposted in the other forum. I didn't realise there were varying rulesets and even other versions! Very interesting. Do the later versions improve the game do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:

3. It takes one move to move into the space with the boat and a second move to board the boat. You could then move another space in the boat (for your third movement) as you are no longer a swimmer.

Not possible, actually,

From Page 4 of the current 30th edition rules (which I believe was also in the previous rulebooks in the US):

Quote:
You may not move a Swimmer from a sea space into a Boat in an
adjacent sea space (since this would be considered 2 movements, and
a Swimmer may move only one sea space in a turn). You can only
move a Swimmer onto a Ship when they occupy the same sea space

Edit: Fixed quote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you are right about swimmers. I'm pretty sure it was only clarified in the very latest edition though. All the other rulesets were a little vague, so I've played it incorrectly for a very long time.

But "Swimmers get one action per turn" is indeed the original intent. Good of Stronghold to finally get it clarified!:
Re: Swimmer movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odgeuk wrote:
Thanks George. Really appreciate the reply! I've reposted in the other forum. I didn't realise there were varying rulesets and even other versions! Very interesting. Do the later versions improve the game do you think?

I can't recall all the differences as I've mostly played the original 82 version which I think the newest version is pretty faithful to. Here is a cool geeklist that compares versions:

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27517/how-should-i-escape...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Courtland-Smith
United Kingdom
HASTINGS
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Ollie,

Interesting post which I think George and Matt addressed convincingly. Plus George's link covers most of any other questions you or anyone else may have.

I'm glad your kids have moved on from Uno. :-) The world is full of brilliant board games for children to play. I'm pleased they enjoyed playing Escape from Atlantis.

Can't say for certain which version of the game you have, but it sounds like the Hasbro edition. I remember their Development Dept introducing the rule....
2) Any Atlanteans on a sinking Island piece are removed and placed on ANY OTHER ISLAND PIECE (Green, Yellow or Grey). If, when sinking an Island Piece, there are no spaces left on the Island, then any Atlanteans on the sinking island piece have to dive into the sea and become swimmers on any sea space ADJACENT to the sinking Island Piece.

Back then, games inventors had no artistic control over how the game was 'developed' after it was submitted and accepted by a manufacturer, hence all the different versions of Survive(EfA). I argued with Hasbro about this change in the rules but they had their way. I was of the opinion this rule change neither improved the game's play nor added to it therefore was an unnecessary encumbrance.

I prefer my original rule which was when an island tile is removed from play (sunk) any Atlanteans on that land-piece fall into the water directly below with the following consequences. i.e. If a shark is revealed it eats the swimmers, etc..

The reason why I didn't include Hasbro's 'jumping off' rule is because that would constitute a move by those Atlanteans on the land tile and simply complicate matters, hence your queries following Hasbro's rule.

As you kindly say, this is a fab game for younger players giving them the ability to stitch each other up, etc. They want to see their opponents Atlanteans (especially Dads) devoured by sharks, not escape their fate by jumping onto a nearby land tile! From my experience kids think they've been robbed!

On another quick point. Players talk about 4 versions of EfA, but many games were sub-licensed and each of those may have a different set of rules therefore making the total number of true variants unknown. If you're good at languages Ollie, you could look 'em all up! ;-)

Yours playfully,

Jules
Hastings, UK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see you around, Julian!

I had the old Hasbro edition back when it was still kind of new (before it got destroyed in an unfortunate soda related flood....) and I would have been confused by that rule change as well. I love how you have to manage your limited moves, so the extra movement from sinking a piece with an Atlantean on it (which I can totally see being abused by clever folks) and swimming to a boat and getting on on the same turn would both feel wrong.

Thank you for making such a fun and cut throat game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Woodall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TheManFromAtlantis wrote:
Hi Ollie,

I prefer my original rule which was when an island tile is removed from play (sunk) any Atlanteans on that land-piece fall into the water directly below with the following consequences. i.e. If a shark is revealed it eats the swimmers, etc..

The reason why I didn't include Hasbro's 'jumping off' rule is because that would constitute a move by those Atlanteans on the land tile and simply complicate matters, hence your queries following Hasbro's rule.

As you kindly say, this is a fab game for younger players giving them the ability to stitch each other up, etc. They want to see their opponents Atlanteans (especially Dads) devoured by sharks, not escape their fate by jumping onto a nearby land tile! From my experience kids think they've been robbed!

Yours playfully,

Jules :D
Hastings, UK

I think we'll adopt this one at home! I'm going to suggest that if all the Atlanteans have to fall into the sea space left behind by the removed island piece, then if it's a boat, they will have to wait a turn before they can board it from the water (by which time no doubt another player will have moved the boat :) )

Do you think Atlanteans thrust into the ocean should be able to climb back on the island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Courtland-Smith
United Kingdom
HASTINGS
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Ollie,

You ask; "Do you think Atlanteans thrust into the ocean should be able to climb back on the island?"

Don't see why not, if all players were in favour?

Logically, if a swimmer can climb into a boat, then perhaps a swimmer could also climb onto a land-tile providing there's available space.

One would think if your Atlantean swimmer was in the sea next to a shark, he/she would be highly motivated to get out of the water!

Jules
Hastings, UK
PS Thinking it through, it raises the obvious...swimmers climb onto the surrounding coral isles so why not climb back onto Atlantis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Courtland-Smith
United Kingdom
HASTINGS
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Matt,

Soda related flood? That's a new one on me!

Thank you for your kind compliment.

Have a Happy New Year!

Jules
Hastings, UK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
...Atlanteans have to fall into the sea space left behind by the removed island piece, then if it's a boat, they will have to wait a turn before they can board it from the water...

The rules of my edition of the game (Parker 1996, Dutch) do not specify this nor even how to board ships while swimming in general. When this arose during the first game my children and I played, they solved this intuitively by adopting the immediate effect of the other rules about encounters. So, sinking an island piece means immediate boarding if a boat is placed and swimming (for 1MP) towards a boat means directly boarding it.

I'm sure Jules, you are happy to hear this. Rules should stay logical and uncomplicated if exceptions add nothing more to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play a tile at the beginning of your turn, is that a bonus and you then you do your 3 actions? Or is the playing of the tile instead of taking your 3 actions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard
Sweden
Växjö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You always start a round by playing 1 tile (if possible) before doing your 3 actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.