Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm filming a playthrough of the game and came upon a situation where I need help with the rules.

The rules state that after a first round of airstrikes: "[t]he attacker may conduct a second round of airstrikes if the attacking TF-C still has one or more carriers." Thus, the rules clearly imply that the second round is optional, through the use of the word "may".

In my game, an American TF-C in the South Pacific Ocean declared an airstrike against what turned out to be a Japanese TF-C in n the Eastern Solomons.

The American carriers only scored one hit. The defending Japanese TF-C also scored one hit.

The Americans applied the hit against the cruiser Myoko. The Japanese applied the hit against the aircraft carrier Saratoga.

In the Sunk table rolls, the Americans rolled a 5, sinking the Myoko. Meanwhile, the Japanese (needing a '6'), rolled a 2. Thus, the Enterprise was simply damaged, and placed in the turn record track for next turn.

Now, the defending Japanese, who still have two fleet carriers, decide to stay for a second round. But the Americans, having now only one carrier left in the task force (the Saratoga is damaged and in the Turn Record Track), decline executing a second round of airstrikes.

The Forced Return rule forces the Japanese to return to base, since they were the defending task force and received one hit.

The Americans were the attackers, but never conducted a second round of combat. Thus, do they have to return to base?

As to when the attacker must return to base, the rules state that this happens "(1) after the second round of combat, or (2) after the first round of combat if there are no targets for a second round."

In this situation, there was no second round. There was a target available for a second round, but the attackers declined. So, what happens with the attackers. My common sense would leave me to believe that they would have to return to base, because there are no targets for a second round because the attackers declined attacking them. Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

My gut feeling is that the attacker must. The defending TF-C, having received only one hit, definitely has to return based on the second paragraph of the Forced Return Rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Attacker always returns to base after combat. One round or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmiller1093 wrote:
Attacker always returns to base after combat. One round or two.
Thank you, Roger. I shall continue with the action. Cheers. Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.