Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of Scrabble and looking for an alternative to play with non-gamers.

Something a little more unique but not overly complex. And forgiving for those not so great with words.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can say paperback is a great pick, but I have high hopes for the Word Domination Kickstarter fulfillment happening in the new year. Might want to wait until you see reviews of that before getting your definitive word-generation game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

That is a great game, in fact I already own in. I should clarify that I mean word creation game, similar to that of scrabble or the other games in my title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback is a great hit with my game group. Even my wife who dislikes boardgames in general, likes this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typo has been very successful in such situations for me. The original Cwali is better, the second edition changed rules and letter distribution.

Dexikon is another one to look at although I have not played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The newly kickstarted C.O.G. will release next year; though maybe more heavy on the worker placement aspect than the word aspect (what words you need to make are dictated on cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Paperback can drag a bit and overstay it's welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I find Paperback can drag a bit and overstay it's welcome.

I like the Paperback app on Android (I just wish it had more game modes, challenges or some type of cumulative score), but the tabletop version is not really all that fun.

I think the reason is that its largely a solo experience, regardless of whether you play in-person or on your tablet. If I recall correctly, there are a few "attack" type cards in the tabletop version, but to me, they weren't all that interesting, and didn't really raise the level or player to player interaction much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Rissel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both actually. My family, who are light gamers, really enjoy Letter Tycoon because you can mitigate for a lack of word building prowess to some extent. The stock and patent aspect can be enjoyable even if you are only making five letter words.

Paperback provides an opportunity to make bigger words, and that can lead to some delight. However there is a greater possibility for in-game repitition from paperback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letter Tycoon has been a big hit with both my mother and mother-in-law. My mom has introduced it to some of her friends that she plays bridge with and said they enjoyed it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
I'm a big fan of Letter Tycoon, as it really hits the sweet spot of Deeper than Boggle but less grueling that srs Scrabble for me. It is exactly what you are looking for in terms of complexity level.

However, it doesn't meet your second criteria. It is not at all forgiving for those not great with words -- the key mechanism of patenting letters results in higher first-turn or two scoring snowballing to widening advantage in the lategame, as the better patents get taken sooner. This is by design, and games between players of relatively close skill and vocabulary will usually be balanced out by randomness of the draw and minor kingmaking in choosing which opponent's patents you activate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it that you like about word games? Finding a game that doesn't require game experience OR knowledge of words is a tough order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if theme is an issue, but what about Unspeakable Words: Deluxe Edition?

It has a mechanism in which players score a word but must pass a sanity check by rolling a result higher than the score of their word. If they fail, they lose a little Cthulhu token.

If one loses all of their tokens, they are out of the game.

This mechanism makes it riskier for people who spell huge words to score them, because the risk of losing a token is greater, which gives people who are not as good with coming up with huge words a chance to compete.

Might be worth a look if you don't mind a cutesy H.P. Lovecraft theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
What is it that you like about word games? Finding a game that doesn't require game experience OR knowledge of words is a tough order.

Heh not a lot to be honest.

I've played Scrabble (not seriously) a lot with my own mom over the years but mentally I'm done with it. I'm really interested in teaching her new games.

My girlfriend's mom enjoys Scrabble too. I've played with her too but really I'm mentally done with the game. I'm pretty bad at spelling which doesn't help.

She may be coming for a visit next year and I wondered if there was a different word game that might be more enjoyable for all to play. If my girlfriends nephew comes too, he is 8 and I thought something more forgiving he could enjoy with the adults could be good to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexx9811 wrote:
I don't know if theme is an issue, but what about Unspeakable Words: Deluxe Edition?

It has a mechanism in which players score a word but must pass a sanity check by rolling a result higher than the score of their word. If they fail, they lose a little Cthulhu token.

If one loses all of their tokens, they are out of the game.

This mechanism makes it riskier for people who spell huge words to score them, because the risk of losing a token is greater, which gives people who are not as good with coming up with huge words a chance to compete.

Might be worth a look if you don't mind a cutesy H.P. Lovecraft theme.

You know I've actually played this when a friend brought it over. Aside from the theme, which they might not get, this might work well.

Do you know the specific differences between the delexue and regular editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
I have tried Word Domination on PnP, and I think that might be right up your alley. The biggest problem with scrabble is that it is supposed to be a word and tactic game. It is in fact just a tactic game. My brother would get so frustrated spelling out great words that would net him all of 13 points, but because he had opened up the triple word box, I would end up scoring 46 on a dumb three letter word. Word domination has really simple mechanics, but it has a much better balance towards spelling words, with a bit of calculation.
The ONLY game my wife has enjoyed playing with me and my son.

Bananagrams is more of a party game, and has worked with my in laws who are not gamers in any way. Great evening with three generations playing at the table, and many laughs. The game is pretty flawed in how it ends though, and is not very deep. Galaxy trucker meets scrabble (ok that actually sounds much more fun than bananagrams)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.