Hide
4 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Card/Theme Idea: Haunted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Marshall
msg tools
The idea of Haunted cards is that they are powerful (because they're haunted) and/or cheap (because they're haunted), but you "pay" for them in other ways (because they're haunted).

This is the card that inspired the idea:

Haunted Market
$2
Action
+1 Card; +1 Action; +1 Buy; +$1
You gain a Curse.

Haunted Mine
$5
Action
Trash a Treasure card from your hand. Gain a Treasure card costing up to $6 more.
Gain a curse.

Ghost Muse
$3
+2 Cards; +1 Action
Trash a card from your hand
Discard a card from your hand

Haunted Estate
$2
Curse/Victory
-1 VP
For each Ghost Hunter in your deck, a single Haunted Estate gives +2 VP instead.

Ghost Hunter
$4
Action - Reaction
+1 Action; +$2
Any time you would gain a Curse, you may reveal and discard Ghost Hunter from your hand to gain a Silver instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice ideas. Not completely broken.

You might want to consider the strength of the Haunted Market and Haunted Mine once the Curse pile is empty. I'm not saying they're wrongly priced, but it's important to consider how cards will function once you cannot carry out all the action text.

Also, having cards that depend on having each other in the layout, like Ghost Hunter / Haunted Estate are not a good idea. Unless your plan was to put them in a 5+5 pile (like the Empires cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haunting is already a theme in Dominion--scaring cards back on to the top of your opponents' decks. Ghost Ship, Haunted Woods, Haunted Castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mine is already a pretty weak card, I'd almost never buy one (even an improved one) if it meant that I have to gain a Curse as well. And once the Curses are out, the game is probably far enough along that even a souped-up a Mine isn't going to help that much. So I'm not sure how strong Haunted Mine will be.

Haunted Estate shouldn't have the Curse type, because otherwise a Witch won't know whether to distribute Haunted Estate or Curse. And it should be somehow linked to Ghost Hunter, because otherwise the likelihood of any two Kingdom cards being in the same Kingdom is pretty rare.

You could, for example, have Haunted Estate not be in the Supply and have Ghost Hunter gain Haunted Estates from the Haunted Estates pile (like Hermit and Madman).

Finally, Ghost Hunter should cost $5 (even if you have to buff it a bit). Donald X has explained why 'Silver with a Bonus'-type cards (either Treasures that give $2 or cards with +Action that give $2) need to cost $5.

But I think you're off to a good start, and these are a lot better that a lot of the fan cards I see proposed here. Haunted Market is actually pretty well done.

One thing that you might consider: a lot of these cards would work similarly if you have them gain Coppers instead of Curses, and then there's not the problem of the Curses running out and the card becoming overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.