Subject: Which Martin Wallace Train game should I grab? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I made a deal that in 2017 I will buy only 5 games. As a collector I want to have the best games of each designer. I think I will like "Struggle of Empires" and I want 1 more title from Wallace. I'm considering:

"Steam"
"Age Of Steam"
"Railways of the World"

Which one will you recommend ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harding
United States
Mount Pleasant
South Carolina
flag msg tools
merely a dingbat pushing little wooden bits around a game board
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Age of Steam yet, but I definitely prefer Steam over Railways of the World.

Steam just seems like a cleaner, more distilled version of the game. Railways is much bigger in scale, both physically and in terms of game options. Railways is more sandbox. Railways is prettier. Railways has nice components. Railways also suffers from a big problem with color matching (board colors don't match cube colors, etc), which was a big headache throughout the game. Railways also took MUCH longer than a game of Steam. I'm selling my copy of Railways. With Steam in my game group, we'll never play Railways again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam: because it is "easier" to teach, plays relatively quick and has plenty of strategy goodness.

I found that Age of Steam while "potentially" more strategic was too unwieldy for new players. The game presentation of Steam is also better, if that matters to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His best game is Age of Steam (2nd edition) (some people would also argue for Brass, which I put second). Steam (advanced rules) is practically the same game, though I'm not crazy about the separate points track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NoDicePlease wrote:
Steam: because it is "easier" to teach, plays relatively quick and has plenty of strategy goodness.

I found that Age of Steam while "potentially" more strategic was too unwieldy for new players. The game presentation of Steam is also better, if that matters to you.

I have the first edition Age of Steam, and prefer that over his other train games. However, the money is very tight in that game, and it can be unforgiving; it's the kind of game that you tend to either love or hate. So, I'm recommend Steam, which got rid of the auction and streamlined a few things. Also, you can expand it with Steam Barons, which converts Steam into an 18xx-lite kind of RR game with stock ownership and stock market play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have to be a train game?

Maybe you want to grab Discworld: Ankh-Morpork before it goes totally extinct. (The license expired, thus no reprint is expected.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KusHniR
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Does it have to be a train game?

Maybe you want to grab Discworld: Ankh-Morpork before it goes totally extinct. (The license expired, thus no reprint is expected.)

On my wishlist, its impossible to get it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam would be my choice as well. I've played them all, and it hits the perfect balance between tension and stategic play. Railways adds too much randomness in the objective cards. AoS is also great, but as other said, it can be crippling to one or more players early in the game, making it not fun for the remaining 1.5 to 2 hours for them. Also in AoS, there's gaminess in the vp/income track with opponents pushing you up in order for you to fall back down via taxes.

Steam has two versions, both of which are good. One uses auction for turn order and only one chance each turn in which to take a loan (for the hardcore players), whereas the other version makes turn order dependent on action tile selected. Steam offers the same depth of decision-making and tension as AoS without such a high chance that one player falls completely on his face while other player(s) run away with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World is better than Age of Steam to me personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.