Subject: Python Computerized AI for Labyrinth: The Awakening rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of you will be aware of Mike Houser's excellent Python script for running the jihadist Bot in the original game. I have been talking to Mike about developing an expanded script to do the processing of the two new Bots in the Awakening and he is happy to leave that to me to do.

This will take the original code and add new functionality for the new AI.

I have begun work on this (it will probably be a 6 month job, there is a lot of coding to do) and the first task was to port the original script to Python 3.5.

This I have now completed, but it needs to be tested.

If anyone would like to volunteer to give it a go, please let me know.

The original script and instructions can be found here...

http://robotgamesquad.com/lwotai/

cheers
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Weaver
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great, is there a way to be notified when you're done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Graham,

Thanks for your interest.

All I can say is keep checking this thread. I will post updates of progress from time to time, and as soon as I have something playable, no matter how rudimentary, I will be asking for alpha testers to help out.

Also once we have a stable code base I will push the app onto GitHub and people can have a look to see how things are progressing.

This week I am coding up the new concepts such as awakening, reaction, militias, civil war, caliphate etc.

The real time-consuming stuff is working through the new card deck as each and every one of the 120 cards has to be coded individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Following with interest, Mike. Just started playing Labyrinth and discovered Mike's script last night. Awesome stuff, it will make playing the game solitaire a breeze. I own The Awakening but I am waiting until I've grokked the base game better before I touch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. M.
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mb
I'll also be following this thread Mike. Thank you so much for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. miriku
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this and pre-volunteering as an alpha tester.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
miriku wrote:
Thanks for doing this and pre-volunteering as an alpha tester.

I should have mentioned the same. I own The Awakening and would be happy to do testing if needed. I'm also a capable programmer which could maybe help if issues beyond rules implementation are found. I'm not a python guy, but I can figure my way around most things with a little research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the messages of support. It is a big task and there may well come a time when I could use some help with testing/debugging/enhancements etc.

At this moment I dont (initially) plan to retrofit the script back to cover the original game, but it would be great if we could do that at some point further down the line. Help will certainly be required.

cheers
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Development work is progressing well. I have found it is actually easier to develop both Bots concurrently so that should mean I am able to get them both done together by my target deadline of June.

The Development shop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently purchased this and the original Labyrinth. Have yet to play but I will start without the expansion. Hopefully by the time you have gotten your awesome work done I can also volunteer as a tester

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Aaron.

That's how I learned to play. Using the original game/script you can complete a game really quickly once you understand the rules.

I am quite excited by this script. I find the ideas of AI Bots in games a great idea but personally I find the amount of work that goes into working through the flowcharts a bit of a hassle. I am sure I will play the game more as a result of having a script to do the hard work for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
gasha1 wrote:
I am sure I will play the game more as a result of having a script to do the hard work for me.

Usually I really don't care for mixing my board games with digital aids but for the reason above this is a great thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardson
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Work is progressing on the script.

I think it's fair to say I underestimated what a big programming task this is, not least because I am doing both BOTS simultaneously, which makes sense from a development perspective.

I am currently working my way through the various flowcharts. It's gonna be awesome when it's done, bear with me.

ETA: summer I hope.

cheers
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Fletcher
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing the legwork! I only recently figured out how to DL and install python on my PC to check out the AI Bot for the base game. I really liked it, but was flummoxed by the problem of my PC being in one location and my board set up on another floor. I don't own a laptop, but my daughter does have a Chromebook. Finally stumbled upon Remote Access for Chrome and it looks like I've found my solution! Very excited to try it out and I look forward to being able to try the new Awakening AI bot as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this could be turned into a web based app then it could be accessed from a tablet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aly D
Scotland
Edinburgh
EH17 8LA. Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have dl'd Python thinking I could get it working on my iPad Pro....sadly not been able to work it out to make it happen cry....I would definitely buy an App if there was one on the App Store meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Strader
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daykz69 wrote:
I have dl'd Python thinking I could get it working on my iPad Pro....sadly not been able to work it out to make it happen cry....I would definitely buy an App if there was one on the App Store meeple

I'd suggest searching for 'Pythonista'. That's a python environment for the iPad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aly D
Scotland
Edinburgh
EH17 8LA. Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
resinaus wrote:
daykz69 wrote:

I'd suggest searching for 'Pythonista'. That's a python environment for the iPad.

That's what I have but I guess it's not a straight forward activity such as copy and paste from the existing code on LWOT.AI - I don't have the knowledge to get it to work.....any help at all will be gratefully appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get Pythonista to work on my iPad, but it's not an ideal solution. Getting the code onto the system required saving to cloud, then open the file on ipad, copy/paste into Pythonista. Think I used the MS version but may have been iCloud.

1. The code is long so loading takes a while.
2. There was an issue with saving - don't remember the exact code section but it generates an error when saving which may or may not be a roadblock.

Laptop worked best for me, doesn't have to be a good one and it still handles python better than iOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Meucci
Italy
Guasticce
Livorno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on developement?
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Meucci
Italy
Guasticce
Livorno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Java implementation that covers the base game and the expansion. It is well supported by the developer, i suggest to use it instead of the python one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Meucci
Italy
Guasticce
Livorno
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am aware of this, but I had some troubles in using it (due to my technical gaps )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hall
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
There is a Java implementation that covers the base game and the expansion. It is well supported by the developer, i suggest to use it instead of the python one.

Mind pointing me to the direction of the java implementation?

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.