Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Newbie question: Town locations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We gifted ourselves with SoB this Christmas and had a first play yesterday.

After reaching the town, not knowing what to expect, we split up evenly (4 characters) on various locations and then realized that we all have to sell our dark stones first. We could not find rules about it being not allowed that all 4 chars spend the day at the frontier outpost... but: if it's allowed, how to you roll for location events?

1. Just one roll with one event for all four characters
2. Each character rolls his own event and then interacts with the outpost
3. All 4 characters roll for events and all four are in effect simultaneously for all players, before anyone interacts with the location

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Willy's Taxidermy
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Stuffing Beavers for Over Thirty Years
mbmbmbmbmb

- John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to note, you can freely move around dark stone/money etc. between the Heroes (if they want to that is), so technically only one person needs to visit the Frontier Outpost. But #3 is correct as above, each Hero at a locations rolls for an event and they are all affected by it at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks l lot for your help, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:
Just to note, you can freely move around dark stone/money etc. between the Heroes (if they want to that is), so technically only one person needs to visit the Frontier Outpost. But #3 is correct as above, each Hero at a locations rolls for an event and they are all affected by it at the same time.

If you wanna be 100% legit about this, you have to make sure that any Heroes that wish to trade with each other - mid-town-stay - are always at the same location when such trades occur.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Green Angel wrote:

We make them trade money & dark stone before they split up and go to their locations. We consider all location events to be resolved simultaneously. It doesn't make sense that a hero can suddenly get an infusion of cash after discovering there's a surprise sale on artifacts.

For us, that means you can still send just one hero to sell all the darkstone, but the other heroes won't get their money from that sale until the end of the day, after they've resolved the location they went to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. We played today that the gold from sales is immediately available to the other heroes, and that felt just wrong. Unfortunately, it seems not to be well explained in detail in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did mean to imply that you could only do it when the Heroes are together at the beginning of the day (ie at the Hotal or Camp) before they split up (or end of the day), and not at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Lieberoth
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Jee wrote:
Green Angel wrote:

If you wanna be 100% legit about this, you have to make sure that any Heroes that wish to trade with each other - mid-town-stay - are always at the same location when such trades occur.

- Jee

The hotel is a location too. If everyone stays there at night, at least that's a good opportunity to shift stuff around and plan trades for the next day. cool

We play it more loose, though: "Hey, can you grab me the xxx hat, while you're there?" "Can anyone lend me two dark stone?"

One thing that greatly enhanced our play experience, and sped things up a bit, was following a suggested house rule that showed up here or on the FB fan page: You can only look at locations/cards when you're in the actual location. That way, we save ten minutes of "lemme just see the Sheriff's office again before I decide..." going into each town day - and each choice feels a bit more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScottL
United States
Weare
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that house-rule and will certainly try it soon. Totally agree that it kinda spoils the fun when you take the time to pre-think the location visits.

Your way is more thematic, and I can imagine the old shop-keep at the General Store. "No, if you don't see it on my shelves then I don't sell none, and thats that! Now go on over to the street market or mutant quarter... maybe they got what yer after."

For my own games, I've been using options #1 (original post) when several posse members are at the same location. Maybe it's wrong, but in my mind it makes more sense to have only a single event per location visit regardless of the number of people who show up. Don't some of the events conflict with each other anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.