Stuart Beeson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello all,
I am looking for your suggestions, please, for good card games to play with a six year old and a seven year old. We started with Uno, which the six year old loves and routinely wins, and have since got into Kigi and Sushi Go,both of which they both really like. I am considering 7 Wonders but it seems too similar in mechanic to Sushi Go - is it worth owning both? I am also thinking of Arboretum but it might resemble Kigi too closely.
I'd be grateful for your ideas please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Davenport
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My 7.5 year old loves Sushi Go, she's been playing it a year now.

Other card games she loves -

Adventure Time Love Letter
Sleeping Queens
Rat-a-Tat Cat

Loot arrived on Xmas Eve, but not played it yet.

'Board' games that use cards she also loves, include -

Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Jamaica
Colt Express
Ticket to Ride

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old loves Dragonwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacked chimney sweep wrote:
...I am considering 7 Wonders but it seems too similar in mechanic to Sushi Go - is it worth owning both?...

As I'm sure you noticed, 7 Wonders is more complicated than Sushi Go!. Heck, _I_ have a hard time keeping track of everything going on in a game of 7W, so I'm not sure it's good for 6 and 7 year-olds. Your mileage may vary. Also, in my experience, 7 Wonders really comes into its own with four or more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Otterjets wrote:
My 8 year old loves Dragonwood

I second this suggestion, although I wouldn't strictly call it a card game with the dice mechanic.

I'd also second:
Love Letter
Sleeping Queens

and I add my own suggestion:
Phase 10

and if we're including dice:
Roll for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rian van der Merwe
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I second the suggestions for Jamaica. My 7yo loves that one.

For a straight card game I recommend Jaipur. It's a quick one but it teaches a lot of fundamental game mechanics and strategy.

We also really like Lotus. It's a beautiful game, and it's also quite peaceful. Not cutthroat like most other games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Sleeping Queens. In fact most of the Gamewright games are pretty spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen L
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Jaipur, Sleeping Queens & Love Letter (whichever flavour they would prefer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Beeson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all very much. I was already considering Jaipur actually, and I really like the look of Lotus and Sleeping Queens. Ticket to Ride is on the long finger as my six year old is a train-mad little boy but I'm not sure he's quite ready yet.

We had our first game of Carcassonne this evening. I think they understood how to play ok, but I'm not sure it really grabbed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
msg tools
badge
It's so FLUFFY!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Ticket to Ride First Journey.

My 10yr old likes - Fabled Fruit and Port Royal for card games. She also enjoys TTR Europe but still struggles sometimes with routes. If we played more so she was more familiar with the map, it would probably be easier. Her top 2 games are Stone Age and Takenoko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
dghughes wrote:
Another vote for Sleeping Queens. In fact most of the Gamewright games are pretty spot on.

I agree. Gamewright is very popular with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My nieces are 6 and 9 and they love 3 Wishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Jaipur.

Also There's a Moose in the House by Gamewright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeus on the Loose might work well for you. Also, check out www.Pagat.com for lots of possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Beeson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your help. Sleeping Queens, Moose in the House and Zeus on the Loose all ordered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you've bought your games, but for others reading this thread for ideas, I'll add +1s to:
Adventure Time (or Batman) Love Letter
Sleeping Queens
Rat-a-Tat Cat
Sushi Go (Party)

and add
Kombat Kittens
Drecksau
and I know plenty of people hate Munchkin, but Munchkin Adventure Time has been so much fun for the kid (he's 5 1/2). I never mind playing with him.

We've just started playing No Thanks!, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it might be a bit late in the day but my six year old's favourite card games are Dead Man's Draw (we have captain carcass version), Birds of a Feather, Diamant, GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck, Cockroach Poker, Saboteur (compilation editions) and Timeline: Inventions

I thought I'd mention these as often not suggested but are all quite good games - dead man's draw is by far the favourite.

more board gamish but primarily card games that she likes are Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise, Celestia, The Siblings Trouble,Get Bit! and Dream Home.

How are they getting on with carcassonne now, my little one has been playing Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale since five with no problems understanding the rules - I think the theme and slight changes to this one make it far more accessible and attractive for younger ones even though not much simpler so it might be worth a try if they haven't quite got it as this one comes out regularly :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Beeson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you again for your suggestions. Sleeping Queens is an instant winner.They are just getting a feel for Zeus on the Loose but they seem to like it so far. I would agree wih comments elsewhere on this site that here is little strategy or excitement until Mount Olympus totals 90 or more, but they haven't seemed to notice so far...

Interestingly they both asked for Carcassonne over the weekend. One thing didn't lead to another, and we didn't get round to it, but hope to try it tonight before bedtime / work respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.