United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Game on
badge
Game Time
mbmbmbmbmb
Question please. I know you can assign two people to a mission, and one can leave the leader pool to block it. But, can more than one character be used to block it? Or would the most you have is 2v1? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, that's right, but if you know a big deal mission is coming, you could send other leaders to that system, either by sending them on missions, moving them in with units, or even just 'Activating' the system and just placing a leader there.

Don't forget everyone present in the system will participate, and even captured leaders can oppose if they are the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
The leaders who oppose a mission are

(The number of friendly, uncaptured leaders in the system) + the leader you choose to send to the system if you choose to send one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
The leaders who oppose a mission are

(The number of friendly, uncaptured leaders in the system) + the leader you choose to send to the system if you choose to send one.

And, only if the mission targets 'a captured leader', then the targeted captured leader also opposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
Basically, that's right, but if you know a big deal mission is coming, you could send other leaders to that system, either by sending them on missions, moving them in with units, or even just 'Activating' the system and just placing a leader there.

Don't forget everyone present in the system will participate, and even captured leaders can oppose if they are the target.

Just what I was looking to clarify - so if I activate a system with a Leader and move units in there, I could activate that same system again and just put the Leader in there, then subsequently put in the Leaders attached to or opposing, as approp, a mission, and everyone would add their skill points (if they have the corresponding one) to my mission dice pool (max 10)?

Also, on this subject, but if I don't have any Leaders in the system, I can still assign one to oppose a mission even if he/she doesn't have any of the corresponding skill - in this case they just provide the token resistance of requiring my opponent to roll at least one success? Fairly pointless, I know, but if things are getting desperate....

On last thing: you said "moving them in with units" - did you mean as part of a Retreat action? Or is there another way Leaders can move - I know that Units can't move out of a system that has one of your Leaders in there?

On a tactics point: I take it that putting a juicy mission in a highly populated enemy system can be a good tactic - does your opponent send a Leader to oppose it, but then lock their troops into that system, or do they let the mission complete, unchallenged....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your analysis is correct Mad Halfling.

By moving them in with units, I think poshniallo meant typical System Activation. Yes, Actuvation was mentioned later, but specifically in the case of activating without moving anyone except the leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachi C
msg tools
mb
Clipper wrote:

By moving them in with units, I think poshniallo meant typical System Activation. Yes, Actuvation was mentioned later, but specifically in the case of activating without moving anyone except the leader.

So Is it legal to activate a System with a leader, without moving any units in it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunottina wrote:
Clipper wrote:

So Is it legal to activate a System with a leader, without moving any units in it?

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pekka V
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay I'm a bit confused.

Where does it say that you can use existing leaders in the system to oppose? In the rulebook doesn't it say you can oppose by sending a leader from the leader pool to the system?

How does it work then, if you have 2 leaders in a system already and the other player attempts a mission there. You can oppose that mission with your 2 leaders in that system without sending anyone from the leader pool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rauhwelt wrote:
Okay I'm a bit confused.

Where does it say that you can use existing leaders in the system to oppose? In the rulebook doesn't it say you can oppose by sending a leader from the leader pool to the system?

How does it work then, if you have 2 leaders in a system already and the other player attempts a mission there. You can oppose that mission with your 2 leaders in that system without sending anyone from the leader pool?

Yes, and if you chose to send a leader from the pool to oppose you'd be opposing with 3.

All uncaptured leaders participate in all missions in their system. Captured leaders only participate in missions that target them specifically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rules Reference Guide is quite clear on this point too (bolding is mine):

RRG - Mission Cards wrote:
If there are at least one Imperial and one Rebel leader in the
system, the mission is opposed, and players must roll dice to
determine whether the mission succeeds. Each player rolls a
number of dice equal to the combined number of skill icons
on all of his leaders in the system whose skill icons match the
mission card’s skill.
The current player rolls dice first, followed
by his opponent.

On that point, the Learn to Play Guide also has the same information (in this case, the bolding is actually theirs):

LtP - p8 wrote:
If both players have a leader in the system, the mission
is opposed. Both players roll dice to determine whether
the mission succeeds or fails. Each player rolls dice (of any
color) equal to the combined number of skill icons on all
of his leaders in the system
. He rolls dice only for skill
icons that match the mission’s skill requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pekka V
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems that I've completely misinterpret the rule from the LtP.

Thanks, I get it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz
msg tools
You are not alone. It´s difficult sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.