Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Tiny Epic Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do you *have* to adventure during night phase if you are not first player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Cochran
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone through the rules and am a bit confused about the night phase. According to the rules, it seems you can only choose to rest once it is your turn to choose. If you are the last person in clockwise order, it seems like you would have to adventure up to 3 times before you even have the opportunity to opt-out of adventuring by resting. I can see this as one of the benefits of being the first player, but at the same time, it kinda breaks the game thematically for me.
For instance (and I don't know if this is even possible, but throwing it out there as an example), let's say that all 3 of my adventurers are on castle spaces during the night phase, so they are not doing any kind of adventuring at all. If I'm last in the turn order, I can still get attacked by goblins up to 3 times before I can take a rest? That just doesn't seem right to me. It would seem better to me to allow an opportunity for anyone to rest immediately when the night phase begins and before the first die are cast. Once you opt-in to adventuring, then you are stuck until it's your turn at which point you can choose to press your luck or rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules I believe you have to.

But if you're last in line, chances are you won't be getting attacked on the first two rolls. They'd need to roll 4/3 goblins in order for you to be hit, which is unlikely. So chances are you're safe. Also, it's almost worst for the first player, because he'll have no reason to rest on the first roll, so he'll need to risk his first roll, and then go through three more until he has a choice to rest.

You can start the night phase with all of your adventurers on castles (or grottos) and have no reason to adventure. This may happen if you're going to certain positional day phase quests. But, the goblins are roaming the countryside and can still attack you no matter where you are! (I assume thats the thematic reasoning behind it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShadoweDarkfyre wrote:
I've gone through the rules and am a bit confused about the night phase. According to the rules, it seems you can only choose to rest once it is your turn to choose. If you are the last person in clockwise order, it seems like you would have to adventure up to 3 times before you even have the opportunity to opt-out of adventuring by resting. I can see this as one of the benefits of being the first player, but at the same time, it kinda breaks the game thematically for me.
For instance (and I don't know if this is even possible, but throwing it out there as an example), let's say that all 3 of my adventurers are on castle spaces during the night phase, so they are not doing any kind of adventuring at all. If I'm last in the turn order, I can still get attacked by goblins up to 3 times before I can take a rest? That just doesn't seem right to me. It would seem better to me to allow an opportunity for anyone to rest immediately when the night phase begins and before the first die are cast. Once you opt-in to adventuring, then you are stuck until it's your turn at which point you can choose to press your luck or rest.
It may not seem "right" to you, but that's RAW and one of the disadvantages of being last player that turn.

If you have to possibly endure 3 goblin attacks, that means there are 4 players. So on the first player's roll, there have to be at least 4 damage results, which is extremely unlikely (26/7776, or 0.33%). On the second player's roll, there have to be at least 3, which is slightly more likely (276/7776, or 3.55%). And the third player's roll, there have to be at least two (1526/7776, or 19.62%). (And this doesn't even take into account the ability to use Power to nullify attacks.) The probability of having all three players before you roll enough Damage results to affect you is then the product of those three probabilities, or a staggering 0.00233%.

In any event, this simply means you have to adapt your strategy to accommodate the fact that you have to survive three rolls before you get control over the dice. And take solace in the fact that you'll be first player next turn. (Except for the poor sod who is last player on the last turn of the game, but hey, it has to be someone.)

I can see what you're proposing as a house rule, but I think it would be more of a crutch to offset bad play than correcting a perceived problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cochran
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You both make valid points as to the probability of being attacked on the first two rolls, and that's something that didn't occur to me. I appreciate your responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.