Goal counts as 20 points

multiply the value of the result by its position on the card
7 = 6x
6 or 8 = 5x
5 or 9 = 4x
4 or 10 = 3x
3 or 11 = 2x
2 or 12 = 1x

so a player with a Goal 1-17 on 2 and a Goalie Rating on 6 has a shot rating of (1x17)+(5x6)=17+30=47

use these values to compare players' shots

What constitutes high defense?
a 4 or 5 is ideal
3 is acceptable

What constitutes low penalty rating?
D is ideal (or E if you're playing with that option)
C or B is acceptable

What is a good Faceoff rating?
+2 or better
this mostly applies to Centers.

What is a good pass rating?
someone who succeeds on all of J/K/L
anyone else really has to make the grade in other areas to be played

Other Tips

the rules say the player with the highest offense values must alternate shots, so if you play your best Offense 4 shooter with players who have 3 Offense, you can shoot repeatedly with him.

Play a player who lists C/LW or C/LW/RW at Left Wing then most of his passes end up going to the RW (which typically have the best shot)

When given a choice of players to bring the puck up ice, give it to perfect passers, players opposite high penalty rating or players opposite low defense rating or to your defensemen (defensemen take penalties easier than forwards)

When selecting players
Left Wing scorers are rarer (choose them before other forwards)

Defenseman scoring is not essential (choose passing, penalty, defense as priorities) (actually in Strato it's harder for D-men to realize their statistical values as their shot values are lower but they frequently shoot from the outside)

If a player just has enough PP goals to get PP+ values they are usually worse than those without the plusses. example a 40 goal scorer with 12 PPG has no plusses just a straight shot of about 100, the same 40 goal scorer with 15 PPG gets PP+ results and has a shot of 85 normal 100 on PP. This makes the first player preferable. The PP+ values ,however, do become worthwhile on players who score 45%+ of their goals on the PP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I do agree with you on a lot of points, you are missing a few very important things, especially intimidation. While it may not be great to put a higher penalty rating against one of your skill players, if he has a high intimidation, it is definatly worth the risk of a penalty to be able to bump your player off the puck.

Even higher penalty ratings aren't always bad. If I have a AA penalty rating, say Shawn Avery against your skilled Jarome Iginla, then there is a decent possibility that I'll be able to take him to the box with me, possibly even with a fighting major, thereby keeping iginla off the ice for 8 cards, while I only lose Avery.

As for the defensemen and +s on their cards, they certainly get enough shots in my games that it is worth putting them on the powerplay, as they shoot often enough inside and out to make it worth while.

Are you playing with the basic rules, or the super advanced? I haven't played basic in about 20 years, but if you are, you really should try the super advanced game. It adds a LOT of options that you don't have in the basic game.

Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Buchler
United States
Escanaba
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:

Even higher penalty ratings aren't always bad. If I have a AA penalty rating, say Shawn Avery against your skilled Jarome Iginla, then there is a decent possibility that I'll be able to take him to the box with me, possibly even with a fighting major, thereby keeping iginla off the ice for 8 cards, while I only lose Avery.

Chad

I hope you'll also have Avery give Iginla a few stitches for me while you're at it! I wish he was still with the Red Wings...

Not that I'm condoning fighting in the NHL. Nope, not me. shake

--Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Bussey
Canada
flag msg tools
yes we play with the Super Advanced Rules plus several home rules.

Like, on Goal 1-? and Goal results the Goalie makes a 2d6 roll
if it's doubles he makes a marvelous save and it's a faceoff.

We found that with defense they never scored as much as they should.

Typically defense score half as much as forwards.
Highest by a forward Gretzky 92
Highest by a defenseman Orr/Coffey 49

typical season leader (forward) 50-60
typical season leader (defense) 25-30

is it because defense have a worse shot? partly
but it has more to do with the fact that they are shooting from further out than any other single factor.

what irritated me was that Leetch or MacInnis would get a shot about equivalent to an equivalently rated forward with 25-30 goals.

now if I take Leetch's card and play him at RW we can reasonably expect him to score 25-30 goals like the forward would but on defense more of his shots are Outside (J/K passing results don't go to D-men) which gives him less chance of scoring and achieving the desired results.

If this Leetch card penetrates he should have a chance to score similar to a 40-50 goal scorer not a 25 goal forward.

that's why it's so much better to play the forwards at the point if you can, their outside shot is often as good or better than the defenseman's.

We found that with a choice on an Outside shot of pass, penetrate or shoot it was best by the numbers to attempt the pass to the forwards.

to give more realism statistically and playwise we used the following rule.

If a D-man gets an Outside shot (not outside shot only) they can pass as normal OR shoot with choice of Inside shot or Outside with PP+ OR penetrate and shoot on Inside with PP+ or Reb/Bkwy. However, if they opt to penetrate and fail by more than their defense rating it becomes a lose puck - possible breakaway. (big reward but big risk)

After 6 seasons playing this way we found the D-men scored what they should be expected to.

We improved the advanced pass chart too. any successful J/K/L result the passer can roll d20 and if less than his Assist rating the target receives choice of PP+ on Inside or Reb/Bkwy shot.

we gave Power ratings to forwards from 0-3 which would subtract away from the intimidators rating when intimidating. It's harder to Intimidate Bertuzzi than Turgeon was the rationale.

we added a random event split card to cover odd/rare results with a table of odd results

we would shuffle 2 Advanced Action decks together and draw 30 so that you were never sure how many Possible Breakaways there were. could be 4 could be 0.

we would roll to see who won fights.

we gave every player a chance to score even if it was just Goal 1-3 on a 2 the odds are that with 60 shots over an 82 game season they'd likely not score but they still have the slightest possibility. A player set to score 10 goals could score more or less why can't someone who scored 0?

we came up with a better way to determine who can shoot and who can't when you have a choice. It was too hard to remember whose turn it was next.

we allowed Reb/Bkwy shots on penetrations if the player rolled 10+ less than needed. Bure on PP 1-3 Reb/Bkwy 4-13 Inside 14+ turned over

we changed Opp 7-10 from Takes Away - Outside Shot Only to just Takes Away puck.

when a player intimidated and pulled a 1 they would check to see if they injure the player by rolling under their Int rating.

we re-rated all the goalies as we found Strat stuck too much to save percentage. Honestly if the backup was really better why would he be the backup? He's rested, He's psyched and wants to play his best, he typically gets the easier opposition, his team mates know he only gets the occasional start so they play a bit better for him. Plus all these factors lead to the likelihood he will perform better in the few games he does whereas the Starter gets less rest and is more likely to have an off night and have his numbers drift towards the average.

We rated them based on common sense and wisdom.

in some really broken cards cases we modded the card to make it more in line with the other players with similar stats.

shot tendency really hosed the ***** forwards
they have equivalent Inside shot as a *** or **** but are worse on Outside and Reb/Bkwy.

If I have 3 players with 20 goals who are the same in all things except their shot tendency one is ***, one **** and one *****

there is nothing in the game mechanics to differentiate them except their shot values. Our research showed a trend in shots as follows 40/40/20 OS/IS/Reb
so if I gave each of the players 40 Outside shots 40 Inside shots and 20 Reb/Bkwy shots the player with *** will likely perform best and the ***** player the worst when they all should be expected to score the same number of goals. In reality unless ***** players have some mechanic to get more R/B shots than other tendencies then they should have a awe-inspiring chance to score on R/B shots so that they score the same number of goals as a *** or **** but more from in close and less from further out than a **** or ***

just some more things to ponder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Jefferson
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some other thoughts, actually.

My boardgame club here in NE Georgia, have used many of the modifications you expressed Todd. here are some others that we use.

1) similar to your version forwards and Defenseman who cannot score an even-strength goal on their card, have a harder time scoring one. Outside/Inside/Reb-Bkwy scoring chances are Goal 1 for an Outside shot on a roll of 2 or 12. Inside shot is a Goal 1-2, and Reb-Bkwy is Goal 1-4. Still, it is amazing how often a goal is scored.

2) conversely, goalies with no Goals on their card still will have a 3-spot, die roll of 4 or 10, listed as Goal 1/ Goal 1-2/ Goal 1-4. This gives the illusion that the goalie can give up a goal when on opposing skater shot the puck resulting in a Goalie Rating. The Goal ranges stand for, from left to right, Outside, Inside, and Reb-Bkwy shots respectively.

3) Our gaming group is fond of scoring, the early 80s with the hi-flyin' Oilers, and the Stastny brothers of the Nordiques. So a 2nd modification is made to the Goalie card. The Faceoff * is automatically considered a Goal 1-10. A split number of 11-20 becomes a faceoff.

4) as we like scoring, all goalies with a boxed assist rating of 0, still gets a split chance of 1 in causing a Breakaway saving an Outside shot. All other goalies receive their full amount of breakaway chances irregardless of where the Out: Faceoff, Breakaway split # is located. This means their breakaway chances are higher than what is usually listed. Goalies with a boxed assist rating of 1 or more will have a minmum of breakaway chances of 1-3.

5) the last goalie card change is that all goalie cards with 0 penalty minutes will have a minimum split chance of 1 listed on their line of IN/BKWY: Faceoff, Penalty 1.

6) every 3rd face-off that results in both the visitor and home faceoff men getting kicked out of a faceoff, results in an automatic loose puck situation. Go directly to the action deck and begin play from the loose puck sectionof the card. It is really amazing to experience a faceoff, loose puck, shoots he scores situation. Almost as good as being at the arena and watching the faceoff, shoots he scores in person. If the 3rd faceoff begins the 2nd or 3rd or even the OT period, so be it. a Loose puck occurs.

7) Injuries that occur often times happen to a flagrant penalty of an opponent, Tony Martino, and Shawn Avery to mention 2 such players. Well, maybe not Averym but Martini-butthead for sure, for sure. When an injury happens do the following, figure out who the culprit is, this can be done 1 of 2 ways. use the Goalie retaliation chart or roll a 6-sided die with a roll of 1=highest penalty rating. 2= 2nd highest, etc. Then look up on the super-advanced penalty chart for his rating. Lets say the opponent in question has a penalty rating of C. A split number of 1-12 = no penalty. 13-15 is a 2 minute penalty, PP for the injured players team. 16-18 = 4 minute penalty (double-minor, PP for the injured players team. And 19-20 = 5 minute major penalty, 5 minute PP for the injured player's team.

8) Our gamers also use a 4 line system for forwards and 3 lines for D-men. Forward line #1, #2, and #3 all get 24 cards for a regular length game. The 4th line gets 18 cards. skaters get more ice-time when the are assigned to the various PP and SH teams. D-Men line #1, #2, #3 are all get 30 cards, with more ice time for those defensemen assigned to PP and SH teams.

9) The older sets of SOM Hockey don't list forwards who can play the point on a power play, though we know they did. To account for this, we choose the 3 forwards with the best boxed assist ratings. Each one can play 1 PP one time, with the forward with the highest boxed assist rating having the chance of playing the point 2 times--- provided the 2nd chance comes in the 3rd period. Any forward who plays the point also on Outside shot results of X-REB given the chance of a possible deflection happening.

And about Martino?
A short, squatty, low-life scum-sucking goalie that was never ever good enough to play in the old International or American Hockey Leagues. Much less AA leagues like todays ECHL. much less the QMJHL, OHL, or the WHL. The best he could do was Colonial, United, Central, and WPHL leagues. Martino hacked away at opponent's ankles, knees, and family jewels in the hopes of ending their careers, or causing premature prostrate problems, or frustrating them to taking a retaliatory swing at him. He really wasn't good enough to be in those leagues either, if he played the game of hockey straight up. Credited in ending the careers of 8 promising minor hockey league players who had the ability to go to the next level, IF Martino's goalie stick hadn't got locked up somewhere in his rear-end located brain! Interesting note, all the teams he did play for, usually wound up being penalized in points or forcing players off the rosters for salary cap violations, or improper signing procedures. Nothing but a low-life thug. Went on to become a head coach in the now defunct WPHL and Central hockey leagues. His teams he coached likethose from his playing days were usually forced to give up points for varioius infractions, most notably salary cap issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.