Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crixtey
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received this game for Christmas, from my brother. We played our first game yesterday, and its fantastic! I played first as the empire, we plan to play again today this time I'll be the Rebellion. This game is so well crafted... Fantasy Flight strikes again!

The only major issue we ran into, that I couldn't sort out in the rule book, is the appropriate use and timing structure for playing tactics cards.

Can anyone refer me to the answer, or explain to me, the correct usage and timing structure with those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same point in combat where you assign hits to targets. The exception, of course, being blocks, which are played immediately after your opponent has assigned his hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kizer

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly! Let's use an example where the Empire is attacking the Rebels on Naboo. Both sides have both ground and space forces.

Combat Round:
1. Add Leader -- The defending player (rebel in this example) can send a leader from their leader pool to the battle.

----A. After adding a leader, starting with the current player, each player may use "Start of Combat" Action Cards

2. Draw Tactic cards -- Use the highest value for each theater among all leaders belonging to that faction in the system.

3. Space Battle

----A. Empire resolves attack

--------i. Empire rolls dice, max 5 black & 5 red.

--------ii. Combat Actions

------------a. Draw a Space Tactic card -- The empire may spend a die showing crossed lightsabers to draw a card from the space tactic deck.

------------b. Play a Space tactic card -- The empire may play a space tactic card from their hand.

--------iii. Assign Damage -- The empire player chooses which units to assign damage to by placing their dice next to the units. A unit can be assigned more damage than it has health remaining. Players must assign all dice they are able to assign.

--------iv. Block Damage -- the Rebel player may now use space tactics cards from their hand to block damage to their units. For each damage blocked, remove one damage that was assign to one of the rebel units.

--------v. Destroy units -- Each unit with damage assigned to it that equals or exceeds its health is removed from the board and placed on the player's faction sheet. IT will be destroyed at the end of this combat step.

----B. Rebels resolve attack -- Repeat the five steps listed above, this time with the defending player (rebels) rolling the dice, playing tactics cards, and assigning damage. The empire will have an opportunity to block damage during the block damage step.

4. Ground Battle

----A. Empire resolves attack -- same as above, only using Ground battle tactics deck and units.

----B. Rebels resolve attack -- same as above. During the destroy units step of this phase, all destroyed units that are sitting on player's faction sheets will get returned to the supply.

5. Retreat -- Starting with the current player, each player has the option to retreat.

6. Next round -- If both factions still have units in the same theater, then go back to step 3 and work your way down again.

For a more detailed explanation, please see P. 4 of the Rules Reference: Combat. They list the rules in a strange order, first outlining overall combat, then detailing how to resolve an attack.

TL,DR -- whichever side is currently resolving an attack plays any tactics cards they want, then they assign damage to units, then the defending player plays blocking tactics cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 3 part V...¿ rebel destroyed units dont return fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sircrowin wrote:

gilderrules13 wrote:
3. Space Battle
----A. Empire resolves attack
--------v. Destroy units -- Each unit with damage assigned to it that equals or exceeds its health is removed from the board and placed on the player's faction sheet. IT will be destroyed at the end of this combat step.

The units aren't actually destroyed until the end of the combat step. It should probably say "Combat Round" to be a bit clearer.

But they do get to fire back as they're not destroyed yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
sircrowin wrote:

destroyed units do return fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
gilderrules13 wrote:

--------i. Empire rolls dice, max 5 black & 5 red.

--------ii. Combat Actions

------------a. Draw a Space Tactic card -- The empire may spend a die showing crossed lightsabers to draw a card from the space tactic deck.

------------b. Play a Space tactic card -- The empire may play a space tactic card from their hand.

--------iii. Assign Damage -- The empire player chooses which units to assign damage to by placing their dice next to the units. A unit can be assigned more damage than it has health remaining. Players must assign all dice they are able to assign.

--------iv. Block Damage -- the Rebel player may now use space tactics cards from their hand to block damage to their units. For each damage blocked, remove one damage that was assign to one of the rebel units.

Remember parts a and b can be executed at any time during phases ii and iii
So separating those phases into two parts is a bit misleading. Assigning a hit you rolled is as much of a combat action as playing a hit card or drawing a card with a force symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.