Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Potentially offensive miniatures? Getting the expansion? Looking for advice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas has come and went and now I am left with a big pile of amazing board games that I want to play. My wife bought two for me, Blood Rage and Scythe.

As a history teacher, I love to study the Vikings and Nord culture, so I have been heavily anticipating Blood Rage for some time now. For whatever reason, every review and video I saw of the game seemed to gloss over a tiny detail that I should have noticed but didn't.

The Serpent Clan.

The quality of the miniatures in this game is fantastic. They have incredible detail. The staves and spears are not wilty. Cool Mini or Not lives up to its name. However, this great detail also shows a lot of skin on the female characters. Upon further inspection of the rulebook, game box, player mats and miniatures, all of the female characters have some form of underboob exposed.

This has created a conundrum for me. The female figures in this game will offend my wife, and may possibly make some of the members of my gaming group uncomfortable. I have reached out to many members of my church and have gotten them solidly addicted to the gaming hobby, attending our get-togethers weekly. I fear that the exposed breasts of the figures will be a problem for sake of modesty and purity (this is especially the case for my high school youth group teenage boys.)

I want to love this game. I want to play at the full complement of players. I want to have glorious deaths, control mighty monsters and fight until the world is consumed by Ragnarok. But with the Serpent clan, I fear that I might not be able to enjoy this game to the fullest.

I recognize that my family and friends might not share a morality set with everyone here on BGG. There are likely many players who wouldn't care if the figures were fully nude (looking at you Conan), but it definitely is a pitfall for me and those who I will be playing with. Even so, I have found that the people here are some of the most helpful, kind people around. So I'm looking for an answer to the following:

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, how have you handled it? I had considered painting the miniatures in such a way that it would disguise any offensive sculpts, but I've never painted minis before and that would still leave the player board.

I could get the 5th player expansion to replace my Serpent Clan, but that still leaves me in the same predicament if we choose to play with 5. I understand that there was an additional clan through the Kickstarter that I could pursue to add a fifth clan if needed. At this point, I will have spent an awful lot of money just to avoid boobs.

What are your suggestions?
My wife bought me this game and their might even be a chance she might play it some time. I want to make sure she feels respected. If you have painted minis, please share them below to give me ideas.

Thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simplest answer is to paint clothes on them. Otherwise, if you are okay with killing people but not female human anatomy then I'd suggest playing a different game. There are plenty of other viking themed games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan S
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played a game recently where I chose the Serpent clan. I own the game and had no idea the figures had underboob revealed. If they aren't painted, your co-players may not even notice. I didn't. Whenever I play this game, I focus on the gameplay, not the minis. As many have said before, the game would work equally well without the minis, so you could even swap out some kind of token as a substitute for the minis to lay claim to the various territories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax, God won't punish you for playing Blood Rage with a youth group. Worst case scenario is you get judged by some church members. If so, who cares? The serpent clan minis will not corrupt your youth group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
If you are this concerned (basing it on how much you wrote) about the issue then another game will fit much better.

As mentioned above if you are more concerned with the under boob showing compared to violence, then you would also find that both additional clans (ram and boar) have fully exposed chests, along with the bear clan in the base game. Valkyrie and the frost giant also have exposed areas, the giant in particular.

You could always proxy the minis, but I do find it strange violence is less of an issue to slightly questionable clothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killing them for the glory of the Viking gods is ok, but heaven forbid they show any underboob. That's me having fun at your expense. shake

But more to your question: My first suggestion is to ask your wife. I find open dialogue with my SO is important, as I've learned a lot about her preferences, and things I thought she'd care about turned out to be unfounded assumptions on my part.

Second, why don't you ask a couple of trusted individuals from your group? If people truly can't stand it, then paint over the figures.

Honestly I played as the Serpent clan and never inspected so closely as to see what you did. I'm sure you know your group better than I do, but you might also be worrying about nothing. Has this come up before?

After this game, I recommend introducing Conan to your group. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you believe in God the creator, then he created breasts, it only becomes an issue for us because we sexualised them, largely because women with good breasts in theory would be good mothers, that is able to feed their offspring well, so men look for those qualities in their mates. It of course takes humans to take the whole thing to ridiculous extremes.

it's not the boobs that are offensive it's what our minds turn them into in the closets of our minds. Enjoy the game and stop worrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the game but I never noticed the issue you've raised on the two games I had played. What about using figures from another game in replacement. I would think that herocliks or D&D miniatures would have some type of warrior figure you could sub in. I know many FLGS have inexpensive heroclik figures available in bins if they are the common figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Rodrigues
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have never seen this underboob, just don't mention it and nobody should care or see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get some Zombicide Black Plague figures. They're probably around the same scale, although they'll be a different color.

Also, for the record, there are no fully nude figures in Conan, even with all the KS stuff. Where did you get that idea from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Miguelito wrote:
I have never seen this underboob, just don't mention it and nobody should care or see it.

For some reason, people that have a problem with nudity tend to look for it with extreme scrutiny, so I wouldn't bet on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
Just get some Zombicide Black Plague figures. They're probably around the same scale, although they'll be a different color.

Also, for the record, there are no fully nude figures in Conan, even with all the KS stuff. Where did you get that idea from?

I was being somewhat hyperbolic, as the women in that game are far more exposed than this. Thank you for the BP idea though, that may work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I don't think there's going to be a perfect solution for you. The Wildboar and Ram clans are better (although getting a hold of the KS-exclusive Wildboar clan is quite expensive now).

If painting the Serpent Clan miniatures is enough to satisfy you, maybe you can print an alternative player board for them with different artwork and use that instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krushhhhh wrote:

As mentioned above if you are more concerned with the under boob showing compared to violence, then you would also find that both additional clans (ram and boar) have fully exposed chests, along with the bear clan in the base game. Valkyrie and the frost giant also have exposed areas, the giant in particular.

You could always proxy the minis, but I do find it strange violence is less of an issue to slightly questionable clothing.

Sassycat wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think there's going to be a perfect solution for you. The Wildboar and Ram clans are better (although getting a hold of the KS-exclusive Wildboar clan is quite expensive now).

If painting the Serpent Clan miniatures is enough to satisfy you, maybe you can print an alternative player board for them with different artwork and use that instead?

It might be silly for me to say this, but my quick look over of the Bear, Ram and Wild Boar Miniatures all show the characters to be male. Exposed male chests are not of concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
KristopherHickman wrote:
Krushhhhh wrote:

Sassycat wrote:

It might be silly for me to say this, but my quick look over of the Bear, Ram and Wild Boar Miniatures all show the characters to be male. Exposed male chests are not of concern.

And the act of killing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish i could make some boobs joke here, but i'm out of ideas.
The best thing will be to replace the minis. Just remenber that you will have to have an extra tall one to diferenciate the leader from the rest. The artwork in the players sheet will be harder, maybe print some artwork that you like it and glue on the sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice trolling whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy williams
Australia
Ferntree Gully
victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Buy yourself Valkyrie figures off Reaper Bones range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
tilouboy wrote:
And the act of killing?
Dude... you're not helping.
OP is looking for helpful suggestions, not a cross-examination, nor an inquest into his personal moral beliefs. Let it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
eduguima wrote:
Just remenber that you will have to have an extra tall one to diferenciate the leader from the rest.

And with bigger chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
And the act of killing?
OP is looking for helpful suggestions, not a cross-examination, nor an inquest into his personal moral beliefs. Let it go.

I am genuinely interested in understanding this. I have seen OP's position numerous times here on the geek. Never seen this point addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Schuster
Germany
Bretten
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
And the act of killing?

I am genuinely interested in understanding this. I have seen OP's position numerous times here on the geek. Never seen this point addressed.

We europeans will probably never understand why killing each other is okay as long as you are wearing clothes. Being naked is a problem though. Hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbratus wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
And the act of killing?

We europeans will probably never understand why killing each other is okay as long as you are wearing clothes. Being naked is a problem though. Hilarious.

I must be a European at heart, because I don't get it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank B
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you never take your family to the beach!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since your wife bought you the game perhaps she is trying to tell you something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.