1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Given the large gaps between Shipment Waves (Kickstarter)... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
How long do you see yourself playing this game? Do you see yourself playing it in the next 2-3 years?

I'm in the process of deciding what I want (I'm new to KD). I'm for sure going to grab all expansions necessary for the Inverted Mountain, but those won't be out 'til 2019 (if all goes well). Will I last long enough with the Core Game (and Gambler's Chest—hopefully has a nemesis and monsters), or should I also grab some old expansions (DK, DBK, FK, LK, Gorm)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion to any new KDM players would be to get the core game and only old expansions. Forget about the new ones for now. I'm pretty sure Adam will allow us to keep adding money to our pledges so we can get a good deal on the new expansions before they are released in 2019.
Regarding the Gambler's Chest, it's a huge bargain and everybody should buy it, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mourounas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know... I'm a new player, and I'm currently in for Gambler's 2nd Face - so core + new stuff. My mentality is: either i) the pledge manager will allow adding additional funds, in which case I can cherry pick a few old expacs before wave 2, or ii) the pledge manager won't allow that, in which case the old stuff will probably be much more widely available than the new stuff (and sooner).

For option (i), it makes no difference. For (ii), locking down the new expacs will be vital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelling
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:
My suggestion to any new KDM players would be to get the core game and only old expansions. Forget about the new ones for now. I'm pretty sure Adam will allow us to keep adding money to our pledges so we can get a good deal on the new expansions before they are released in 2019.
Regarding the Gambler's Chest, it's a huge bargain and everybody should buy it, in my opinion.

I've seen several veterans guess that Poots will let us up our pledges to buy the new expansions before they ship. I'm curious what's leading you to think this? I'm a new backer myself, so I'm not able to make an educated guess on this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He opened the pledge manager a few times during the previous KS, though eventually it was opened at increasing prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I've been kept busy and I've had fun from the last Kickstarter. This game has a lot of replay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
JohnTheMigrant wrote:
How long do you see yourself playing this game? Do you see yourself playing it in the next 2-3 years?

I'm in the process of deciding what I want (I'm new to KD). I'm for sure going to grab all expansions necessary for the Inverted Mountain, but those won't be out 'til 2019 (if all goes well). Will I last long enough with the Core Game (and Gambler's Chest—hopefully has a nemesis and monsters), or should I also grab some old expansions (DK, DBK, FK, LK, Gorm)?

I'm a completion-ist when it comes to board games. I was only ever going to back at the Satan/Frogdog level or pull my pledge completely. Still 75/25 whether or not I'm going to stay when it funds.

All I can really say is that I've been playing Eldritch Horror for years. And expansions are still coming out, and I'm still paying for them as they come out. This is kind of like that situation except I'm paying for all the expansions and other content upfront. It sounds like the value is there, but who really knows?

edit: I also don't play that often. Some people have a core group of people who get together every weekend, and have done so for years. I wish I had that. So I may not get as burnt out on games, as fast as others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Consuming all the existing content takes quite a long time. You don't just throw it all together and play!

You should play core alone at least once, then maybe add an expansion for another campaign, then maybe one or two more (perhaps removing the first), then maybe one of the alternate campaigns, then maybe back to core with a different mix of expansions, etc. Unless you play continuously, it's a couple years to get through it, by which time more stuff will be rolling out.

While you *can* mix everything together, the game isn't designed for that and it doesn't work particularly well; you just don't have enough time to hunt everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
Yah, I don't think I'll be able to play 'all the time', so the Core Game with the Gambler's Chest may be enough to ride me out until the New Expansions come out (which, with the coherent theme of the Inverted Mountain, interests me more overall than the mixed themes of the original, though I think most of them seem great). Hopefully the GC will come with a new monster(s) and nemesis—that should be enough content (though I may add DK, if anything from the Old).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
YouveBeenNamed wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

I've seen several veterans guess that Poots will let us up our pledges to buy the new expansions before they ship. I'm curious what's leading you to think this? I'm a new backer myself, so I'm not able to make an educated guess on this topic.

Because why wouldn't you? It'd be crazy to leave money on the table.

On the other hand, it'd be crazy to announce that you will do that now because then there's no incentive to add on now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelling
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
YouveBeenNamed wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

Because why wouldn't you? It'd be crazy to leave money on the table.

On the other hand, it'd be crazy to announce that you will do that now because then there's no incentive to add on now.

The counter-argument to leaving "money on the table" by not allowing a continuation of Kickstarter pricing, would be that Poots could make more money if he simply shifts the prices to MSRP. People would be buying things at full price rather than at the steep discount we could get them at now. Of course this goes into supply and demand, for which we can only speculate.

I think that Nick Wirtz's comment about Poots gradually increasing the prices makes sense. Poots continues to increase his sales, while increasing his profits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
JohnTheMigrant wrote:

After every campaign, I'll usually take a break for a week or 2 to catch up on my painting. It's not that it's remotely boring, just a bit emotionally draining. I definitely see myself playing it in 10yrs time. I've owned KD and all the expansions for about 8 months. I'd say I've put in 400hrs of gameplay and yet to experience 70% of what KD has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Greysbull mentioned, I'm pledging for the core game and all existing expansions. This will mean spending more in 2019 for the MSRP prices of the new content, but it also prevents my pledge from being absolutely insane in 2016.

I'm actually more okay paying $750 now and $750 in 3 years than about $1100 now (seems like most of the new packs are 50% off if you order during the KS).

Time-Value of money (I can make the extra $750 work for me in the mean time) plus by the time I have to make the second purchase I'll have forgotten about any impact the first purchase had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
hwknight wrote:
JohnTheMigrant wrote:

After every campaign, I'll usually take a break for a week or 2 to catch up on my painting. It's not that it's remotely boring, just a bit emotionally draining. I definitely see myself playing it in 10yrs time. I've owned KD and all the expansions for about 8 months. I'd say I've put in 400hrs of gameplay and yet to experience 70% of what KD has to offer.

400 hours, damn! That definitely inspires confidence in the long-term value, ha hah. So you've played around 10 campaigns, then?

boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Like Greysbull mentioned, I'm pledging for the core game and all existing expansions. This will mean spending more in 2019 for the MSRP prices of the new content, but it also prevents my pledge from being absolutely insane in 2016.

I'm actually more okay paying $750 now and $750 in 3 years than about $1100 now (seems like most of the new packs are 50% off if you order during the KS).

Time-Value of money (I can make the extra $750 work for me in the mean time) plus by the time I have to make the second purchase I'll have forgotten about any impact the first purchase had.

All New Expansions, minus CoD, is $830. Even if everything was 50% off MSRP, that's still an extra $415. If you plan to get everything eventually, now is probably best

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YouveBeenNamed wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

I think it's a bad assumption to think that this will happen. Could it happen? Sure. He did something like that for the first campaign, but it also sounds like it may have caused problems for him. He's mentioned several times already to not assume anything about the pledge manager, he may end up only allowing you to add once if any at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdobby wrote:
YouveBeenNamed wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

I think it's a bad assumption to think that this will happen. Could it happen? Sure. He did something like that for the first campaign, but it also sounds like it may have caused problems for him. He's mentioned several times already to not assume anything about the pledge manager, he may end up only allowing you to add once if any at all.

The issue wasn't so much that he allowed people to buy more stuff (Which is pretty much standard at this point and would surprise me quite a bit if he didn't make some allowance for it), but that he reopened the pledge manager over and over again so some people started piling on more and more add-ons, doubling, tripling or quadrupling up and blowing up all of the production plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Dean
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second what Dobby said above. Given the fact that the multiple rounds of pledge manager openings from the first KS added a lot of new purchases at huge discounts and all the attendant administrative headaches, I think that was a major contributor to the first KS not breaking even.

This time around Adam has materials, a tried-and-tested process for finalizing playtest, proofs, and production, and a supply chain and distribution network already in place. Any variance he can eliminate will go a long way towards securing him the best pricing and production timelines. If he keeps the pledge manager open for a long time, or keeps opening and closing it multiple times, he won't know how much of any given expansion to order, won't be able to secure his production schedule, and runs the risk of getting screwed on fluctuations in currency exchange and shipping costs. There are major, known business pressures for him to keep a tight rein on production numbers, and I expect he will.

My personal guess is that we're likely only going to get one opportunity to add to our pledges, and that will probably be sometime in Q3 or early Q4 in 2017. That will hopefully let folks have the core game from the first shipping wave, and still give him time to collect the funds, finalize his numbers, and put in the production orders for the 2018 materials before year-end (so he avoids the tax liability of having a ton of funds in the bank).

TL;DR - Don't count on there being multiple opportunities, or long windows, to add to pledges after the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
Thantastic wrote:
I'll second what Dobby said above. Given the fact that the multiple rounds of pledge manager openings from the first KS added a lot of new purchases at huge discounts and all the attendant administrative headaches, I think that was a major contributor to the first KS not breaking even.

This time around Adam has materials, a tried-and-tested process for finalizing playtest, proofs, and production, and a supply chain and distribution network already in place. Any variance he can eliminate will go a long way towards securing him the best pricing and production timelines. If he keeps the pledge manager open for a long time, or keeps opening and closing it multiple times, he won't know how much of any given expansion to order, won't be able to secure his production schedule, and runs the risk of getting screwed on fluctuations in currency exchange and shipping costs. There are major, known business pressures for him to keep a tight rein on production numbers, and I expect he will.

My personal guess is that we're likely only going to get one opportunity to add to our pledges, and that will probably be sometime in Q3 or early Q4 in 2017. That will hopefully let folks have the core game from the first shipping wave, and still give him time to collect the funds, finalize his numbers, and put in the production orders for the 2018 materials before year-end (so he avoids the tax liability of having a ton of funds in the bank).

TL;DR - Don't count on there being multiple opportunities, or long windows, to add to pledges after the campaign.

Sounds logical to me, and hopefully Adam has planned something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Thantastic wrote:

I agree, but with one exception -- I think it'll be Q1/Q2 2017 where we finalize our pledges alongside paying the W1 shipping fee. The reprinted current expansions are scheduled to ship Q4 2017, so there is definitely a limit to how late he can lock up the pledge manager if he is to achieve the things you describe here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of getting some of the old expansion when I get the base game. But there also seems to be that most people think the Gamblers chest is a bargin. But when does that coe out? Is it a 2020 launch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I'm in the mindset of wondering...

In 4 years... will I care? It's a hard gamble.

We have seen games in last 2 years get released with better, tighter, more coherent mechanics, refined in both art and gameplay. Will KDM get replicated and become less... giant dicks and stat paperwork? and more society and dark world survival.

Also, having original and all the expansions. Even without playing all the expansions.

I never played the game and thought, boy, I wish there were at least 20 expansions I could add to this game!

I might drop my pledge down to Upgrade and Gambler after all. Then in 2020 or whatever, on a black friday sale, pick up the rest at KS prices via the shop anyways.(as it happened this year)

Edit:
I agree with the poster that mentioned if you're a new backer, get the original expansion items that interest you OVER anything that will come out in 2019(and anyone that backed the original should know it actually means late 2020) as you will get all of that next year.(Core Summer, Expansions Fall) which is totally reasonable as they are existing product that needs to be manufactured, not created from ground up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Shoo
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tolchock wrote:
I was thinking of getting some of the old expansion when I get the base game. But there also seems to be that most people think the Gamblers chest is a bargin. But when does that coe out? Is it a 2020 launch?

Gambler's Chest is currently slated for shipping in early 2018. Give or take a few months given it's Kickstarter, but quite likely before 2020.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:
JohnTheMigrant wrote:

As a new player I'm genuinely curious now: How much of those 400 hours were spent replaying the 30% you've seen, over and over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chaotick wrote:
Tolchock wrote:

Gambler's Chest is currently slated for shipping in early 2018. Give or take a few months given it's Kickstarter, but quite likely before 2020.

Bear in mind, however, Adam has just added a completely unplanned nemesis to the gamblers chest, the size and components to which he doesn't even know, because its brand new, so seeing the Gamblers Chest on schedule is extremely unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
The Waspman wrote:
Chaotick wrote:
Tolchock wrote:

Bear in mind, however, Adam has just added a completely unplanned nemesis to the gamblers chest, the size and components to which he doesn't even know, because its brand new, so seeing the Gamblers Chest on schedule is extremely unlikely.

I don't think that this new nemesis will see a 16-page rulebook, or a complicated crafting system. It will be a miniature, some AI and HL, a couple of gear cards and maybe disorders/fighting arts, and finally some table roll to "ensure your settlement does not get what it wants". If anything will delay the gambler's chest, it won't be this addition. The expansion itself may be unplanned, but Poots has decided well in advance to give away a twitch reward. No two times these were identical, so it's likely that he gave some thoughts to what he was doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.