GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,679 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official FAQ for The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire
Frequently Asked Questions

Created: 12/27/16. Last Updated 2/16/17

Using Workers and Energy

Can I use energy alone on the gameboard?
No. You must place a worker on the gameboard.

Can I skip playing on the gameboard and just use the cards in my tableau?
No. You must place a worker on the main board before you can use any cards in your tableau.

Which cards can I use in my tableau, and how many can I use?
You may use any of your structure cards that match the region of the board on which you played. If you played in Government on the gameboard, you can use only your Government Structures. There is no limit to the number of structures, only the type you may use, assuming you have sufficient workers and/or energy to activate them. In addition, on any work turn, if it is available for use, you may use your Nation card.

If a board location is occupied, can I use it by stacking workers?
No. To use the occupied location, you must build a stack taller than any stack in that location, but it may only include one worker. The rest of the stack must be energy tokens.

Pollution

If we don't pollute when we generate, doesn't the game go on forever?

Answer:
Each time you generate, one pollution token will come off the Global Impact Track. This is described on page 10 of the rulebook, and is indicated on the Player Reference (the back of each nation card).

Quote:
If you did not roll any dice, or if the highest die is a green Solar-wind or a blue Hydro-geo die, your Environment does not get polluted. Take 1 Pollution token from the leftmost spot on the Global Impact track that still has any, and discard it into the general supply.

In other words,if you do not pollute, REMOVE ONE POLLUTION TOKEN FROM THE GLOBAL IMPACT TRACK and place it in the general supply.

Also, make sure that pollution gained by any means is always taken from the Global Impact Track unless an effect (such as from a Global Impact card) says otherwise.

Buying and Selling Oil

What is the Price of Oil?
Is it the price for one barrel or three?
How much can I buy on one turn?

Answers:
The price of oil is indicated beneath the leftmost stack of pollution tokens on the Global Impact Track. As the game proceeds, the price of oil rises each time after the first that a stack of pollution tokens is depleted. This price is for THREE barrels of oil. This is correctly described on page 16 of the rulebook. Note: you make only a single exchange.

Quote:
BUY/SELL OIL (from p. 16 of the Rulebook)
Make only a single exchange. Choose one:
• Spend money equal to the current price of Oil
to gain 3 Oil barrels.
• Return 3 Oil barrels to the supply to gain
money equal to the current price of Oil.

For example, when used at the beginning of the game, a player may pay $1 to buy THREE barrels of Oil. Near the end of the game, a player could sell THREE barrels of oil and receive $5.

Mistake in the rulebook:
Unfortunately, we slipped up on page 12 of the rulebook in the first printing of the game:
Quote:
OIL PRICES
e price of Oil is always the value showing beneath the leftmost spot on the Global Impact track that still has any tokens in it. at value equals the price of 1 barrel of Oil.
At the beginning of the game, the price of Oil is therefore $1 per barrel.

It states that the price of oil is for 1 barrel of oil. That's not the case. It should say this is the price for THREE barrels of oil.

Global Impact Cards

Pandemic

How does the Pandemic Card work? Where can I take the worker from? How long does the worker stay there? When can I pay the Science to get the worker back?

Answers:
You may choose any one of the workers currently in your possession to place on the Pandemic card. This could be a worker from your player mat, but could be a worker on the board, on a structure, or even on your nation card. Do not remove any energy that was with that worker.

It is possible that this could result in stacks of energy without a worker on the board. Continue to play normally. The energy remains on the board in a stack, and a player must consider that stack when using that location. For example, if a stack of two energy was on the board, a player using that same location would need to place two energy tokens with their worker to make a stack of three to use that location.

It is also possible that a structure or nation card could be vacated as a result of the Pandemic. That's fine. It's available to be used again.

Workers on the Pandemic card can remain there until the end of the game unless "healed" by spending 1 science. This can be done at any time.

Automation

Where can I take the worker from?

Answer: Same as for Pandemic, above.

Chemical Spill

If there are no rows in my environment that have two spaces, do I still gain pollution as a result of the Chemical Spill?

Answer: No. If you don't have a row with "sufficient space," you do not gain the pollution. By the way, your environment is in terrible shape!

Structure Cards

Engineering Firm

Does the "Engineering Firm" allow me to avoid the affect of the "Market Crash" Global Impact Card?

Answer: No, you still must pay $1 extra.

Claiming Achievements

How do you claim achievements? Can I claim one if I have two unused workers on my player mat?

Answer:
The first step of a turn in which you generate is when you may claim an achievement.

Quote:
1. Claim Achievement
If you have unused Workers + Energy totaling 2 or more remaining on your player mat, you may claim one Achievement. Choose one of the available Achievements on the main board, and place it face down on your player mat. Draw a new Achievement from the supply and place it face up on the main board to replace the one you took.

You may claim an achievement if ANY of the following are true:

You have 2 or more workers on your player mat.
OR
You have at least 1 worker and 1 energy on your player mat.
OR
You have 2 or more energy tokens on your player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So am I right in thinking that if pandemic takes a guy and I use the guy on my UN building, on my turn I can use that ability again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - that's correct. A player who uses scientific research or other methods to peek at the Global Impact cards can plan ahead for such a maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome FAQ. Been having a few of these question in our game plays. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you so much for that Luke. Answered most of my questions. I'm just curious if you ever considered giving end of game bonus' and penalties for having a completely clean environment or vice versa a totally polluted environment at the end of the game. My play group was thinking of instituting a +3 VP for zero pollution. And a -3 VP for a completely polluted home board.

Loving the game and thanks again!

-Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chad!

Feel free to houserule if you like. The way the environment scoring is designed, players are motivated to keep things clean - but it's definitely not the only valid strategy. If players reviewed additional bonuses for a clean environment, I'd be afraid it would tip the scales, so that a dominant strategy would emerge. We've worked very hard to ensure that there are many paths to victory, and many effective strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
We've worked very hard to ensure that there are many paths to victory, and many effective strategies.

This. I actually love the fact that in some games, I can dump toxic waste everywhere and still win. This isn't exactly as easy as it seems because you lose a lot of points from Global Impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Séb V.
France
flag msg tools
mb
LL Games wrote:

How does the Pandemic Card work? Where can I take the worker from? How long does the worker stay there? When can I pay the Science to get the worker back?
(...)Workers on the Pandemic card can remain there until the end of the game unless "healed" by spending 1 science. This can be done at any time.(...)

Can I pay a science token as soon as the card is revealed to save my worker ?
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It goes onto the card. Then you can pay to get the worker back immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Séb V.
France
flag msg tools
mb
That's how we played, just wanted to be sure !
Thanks for the confirmation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to add an entry for Diplomatic Crisis global impact card. The wording and picture do not match, imo.

"players must use one additional Energy to place a worker on any board location that is occupied by one or more workers belonging to other players."

Given that it is a "diplomatic crisis" and it says "additional" energy, we interpreted this as an added requirement only when other player workers are present, and does not replace any of the standard placement requirements.

The illustration does not support this interpretation, as you would need to place a worker and an energy to occupy the same location with a single worker of another player, but it only shows your worker being placed on the left of the illustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rose
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have one question that I thought was in the rules but I cannot find it. Knowing scores of game rules I am suspecting I am recalling this another game...but is one limited to 10 energy or can you go beyond that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninthlaird wrote:
I have one question that I thought was in the rules but I cannot find it. Knowing scores of game rules I am suspecting I am recalling this another game...but is one limited to 10 energy or can you go beyond that?

You are limited to ten energy. The resources are considered unlimited, but everything else, such as workers, energy, dice, are limited to the supply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rose
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying my over crammed Brain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Baker
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be helpful to add a a reminder under the Achievement question about the 5 achievement limit (with the option to discard and replace).
It's easy to forget. It is printed on the player board but it does get covered up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derin White
msg tools
Publishing House
Is the "Publishing House" Commerce Structure Card correct? If I'm reading it right, once activated (by a single worker/energy) you gain either $2 or 2 VPs. This seems like an overpowered card regarding the ability to gain 2 VPs so easily. Compare to the "Amusement Park", another Commerce Structure Card the requires 2 workers/energy to active and requires spending $3 to gain 2 VPs. Also compare to the "Lunar Lander", a Government Structure Card that is essentially the same card but offers science instead of $2 (which is equivalent when trading) or 1 VP. Should the "Publishing House" also offer only 1 VP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally, the publishing house was going to be one VP. I'm not 100% sure when it got changed to 2 VP, which makes it really good, but I haven't seen it be significantly out of balance with other cards. The cards, of course vary in their utility and depend upon your strategy and other factors. With the case of the publishing house - you'd really want to go for the VP almost every time, not for money unless you desperately needed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew kitchens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, so quick question, when I am in the generate phase and I have no dice do I get any energy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kylek5565 wrote:
Hey, so quick question, when I am in the generate phase and I have no dice do I get any energy?

- Nope, but you still remove a pollution token from the Global Impact track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew kitchens
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
Come to the dark side we got cookies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the FAQ and the great game. Our gaming group had one question today. While activating cards in my tableau can I use freshly produced resources on other cards. Lets say I have 0 steel, with my first energy I generated 1 steel, I took that steel and used it on the next building to turn it into 2 plastics.

From what we understand you have to have the resources beforehand in order to activate the buildings.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zebani200 wrote:
Thanks for the FAQ and the great game. Our gaming group had one question today. While activating cards in my tableau can I use freshly produced resources on other cards. Lets say I have 0 steel, with my first energy I generated 1 steel, I took that steel and used it on the next building to turn it into 2 plastics.

From what we understand you have to have the resources beforehand in order to activate the buildings.

Thank you!

Each time you activate a card, you immediately gain the resources, so yes, you may then use them activate another building, and so on. That's what the game is all about, building those awesome engines!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
zebani200 wrote:

Thank you!

Each time you activate a card, you immediately gain the resources, so yes, you may then use them activate another building, and so on. That's what the game is all about, building those awesome engines!

That somehow massed up our games. A player who went all government with 4-5 buildings could just play 1 worker get a new government building, activate all the workers. Next turn pull everything in, do the same thing next turn and keep doing it till the end game. Usually you don't have to spend more than 1 worker and at one of the games we just gave up on the game. This happened 3 times (2x government 1x industry) so we thought we must be playing something wrong.

One of our friends pointed out we might wanna try not using newly gathered resources from cards. After that the game took a better pace. Now you couldn't just finish all your cards in 1 move.

I am wondering if we are missing something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say what you might be missing. I would recommend watching one of the many video playthroughs. Taking the sane action over and over again isn't competitive play and usually isn't possible the way you're describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ege Tunca
Turkey
istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LL Games wrote:
It's hard to say what you might be missing. I would recommend watching one of the many video playthroughs. Taking the sane action over and over again isn't competitive play and usually isn't possible the way you're describing.

Just watched a couple videos and I guess we didn't play anything wrong. And JonGetsGames https://youtu.be/9Mh8rB525Ys?t=1780 had the same trouble we had (by the way please don't get me wrong I am not trying to be a jerk or anything...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.