Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Sonsalla
United States
Rollingstone
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been working through all the scenarios since purchasing Memoir ’44 a few weeks ago. This time it was Scenario #12: Montélimar - Campaign for Southern France. She took the role of the Allied player and I was the Axis.

I focused my first efforts on the left flank as I saw a good chance of overtaking the city of Grane. With the impassable hills north of the Condillac Pass, I knew I would only be facing the enemy directly in front of me.

She had the strategic placement of her infantry in the hills in the center of the battlefield and made sure to keep my Axis infantry wary of her volleys. Unfortunately, I was backed up against the Rhone River and also needed to offer some resistance to avoid the Allies storming to the river for an easy victory medal. I maintained my positions but the Allied infantry were on target, weakening two infantry units down to a single figure. With regular infantry units consisting of only three figures for this battle a couple of accurate shots had quickly turned the center into an unpleasant situation.

I was fortunate to overpower the Allied infantry from Grane, forcing a retreat and taking the city. As luck would have it, the Axis hold on the Grane was temporary and the Allied infantry re-took the city. A weakened Panzer Grenadier unit remained at the outskirts of the city along with an armor unit down one figure.

Meanwhile, I had moved my armor units aggressively towards Bonlieu. The Allies were just as deadly with their artillery unit and taking it out was essential. After the Axis had taken an early lead with two victory medals, the Allies began finishing off the weakened Axis units. They had soon taken four medals and were poised to complete the victory.

The decisive moment for the Axis had arrived. A General Advance was called for. Victory would either be had with this maneuver or most certainly the exposed attacking units would be taken out to give the Allied forces the triumph.

The right flank moved in on Bonlieu, the center maintained their positions, and in the left flank the Panzer Grenadier unit now consisting of a single figure attempted to re-enter Grane with the assistance of an armor unit. Both Bonlieu and Grane were held by an infantry unit down to their last man. Eliminating these units and taking the cities would give the Axis four victory medals and the win.

Bonlieu fell to the battle-hardened Axis infantry with the destruction of the Allied infantry. Could the same result happen in Grane? The Axis armor unit had moved to the other side of Grane, essentially surrounding the town to prevent the Allied infantry’s attempts to safely retreat from battle. The elite Panzer Grenadier infantry unit battled first. And it was a rout! The Allied infantry was eliminated and the Axis claimed Grane and the game, six medals to four.

This was a tense scenario; we both had our moments, and the battle certainly could have gone either way. The next battle will be at Arnhem Bridge and the Allied forces will be looking to even the score. This war isn’t over yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.