Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Recommendation: Wargames set in Brittany or Normandy from antiquity to 1800? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
Bleu, Blanc, Rouge: Liberté, Égalité et Fraternité.
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I’m looking to tap into your collective gaming experiences for some wargame recommendations that are set in Brittany (Bretagne) and Normandy (Normandie), France from antiquity to about 1800. While the time period is rather extensive, it’s the region I’m most interested in and I’m hoping that will temper the wealth of history that covers the period.

When not working I spend most of my time in Normandy and Brittany to a lesser extent. I’m interested in getting to know the military history of the two regions and visiting the particular sites with accompanying historical reading on the battles fought there. And why not WWII? Well, I have that covered pretty well with a few systems and I’m after something different.

So far I have Avec Infini Regret, Avec Infini Regret II and a few titles from the Au Fil de l'Epée (By The Edge of the Sword) series which I enjoy. I also have a few from the À la Charge series, but they are a little too basic for what I’m after.

I’m primarily looking for hex-and-counter but pretty much open to anything meaty which is actually obtainable (at least one person is going to leave a Case Blue link regardless of the above – I just know it).

Happy with anything in English or French.

Thanks very much in advance! I look forward to whatever recommendations you might have.

Sean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recommendation: Wargames set in Brittany or Normandy from antiquity to 1800.
Well, a lot of the action in Warriors of God is in Brittany and Normandy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Recommendation: Wargames set in Brittany or Normandy from antiquity to 1800.
wifwendell wrote:
Well, a lot of the action in Warriors of God is in Brittany and Normandy!

Thanks, that does look like such a cool game and you're right, much of the action did take place there. I'm just after something more specific. For example, in the 100 Years War if there was a game covering the Battle of Cocherel, I could play a few sessions and then visit the sites and even the monument for Bertrand du Guesclin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remembered something from Vae Victis and after some rummaging, I found the name again: Les Deux Bretagnes, and there's an extension as well: Les Deux Bretagnes: Expansion et nouvelles cartes. I haven't tried it, mind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
AlfyB wrote:
I remembered something from Vae Victis and after some rummaging, I found the name again: Les Deux Bretagnes, and there's an extension as well: Les Deux Bretagnes: Expansion et nouvelles cartes. I haven't tried it, mind you.

Thanks for taking the time to look the title up for me. I'll have to try and track it down as it looks quite interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chauvel
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Degemer mat :-)

With "Les deux Bretagne" published by Vae Victis, i know only two games which one IS a boardgame named "Roue Breizh" and "Le combat des Trente" published by Coop Breizh.

Kenavo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald EMCA LADD
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not 100% sure if this fits the 'region' criteria, but, it is a simple hex and counter game; We Happy Few: The Battle of Agincourt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
David35 wrote:
Degemer mat :-)

With "Les deux Bretagne" published by Vae Victis, i know only two games which one IS a boardgame named "Roue Breizh" and "Le combat des Trente" published by Coop Breizh.

Kenavo

Salud,

Trugarez vras!

Nedeleg laouen ha bloavezh mat.

Devezh vat deoc'h.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard I the Lionheart was almost a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:
I'm not 100% sure if this fits the 'region' criteria, but, it is a simple hex and counter game; We Happy Few: The Battle of Agincourt.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll certainly check the game out but I think it's a little too far for me to just pop over and visit. Azincourt is on my list for the future though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
House of Normandy covers the Battle of Tinchebray, 1106. The rest of the battles in the box happen in Britain, but it's a really fun, easy game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chauvel
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my "native language" is very limitated due to my localization in gallo country....

There isn't a lot of wargames with Britanny in background with the exception upon the France liberation in 1944 with the ports as objectives (Brest, Lorient,...).

Bonne année 2017 !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A part un débarquement de 'ricains, il se passe jamais rien dans ce coin là de toute façon. Et c'est pas comme si Rennes était compétitif en ligue 1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joan of Arc's Victory 1429 AD

Scale may be too large for you though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris et Normandie
Australian nationality
flag msg tools
badge
Ravens.
mbmbmbmbmb
wernervoss wrote:
House of Normandy covers the Battle of Tinchebray, 1106. The rest of the battles in the box happen in Britain, but it's a really fun, easy game to play.

That looks interesting thanks. Tinchebray is about 10km down the road from me so worth looking into! It's actually a very nice little town with a still medieval centre.

Thanks for the other recommendations everyone, I'll be sure to check them out also. There are some good leads there.

And yes, Rennes doesn't have the best record haha. Still, there must be many happenings in this 'little corner' over 1800 years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chauvel
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2016 est une année de transition comme en 2015, et comme en 2014...bis repetita. Je suis patient
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.