Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Jyn's quick draw with Perpetual Reinforcements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rene Serna
msg tools
I'm running through potential complications for my game. This came to mind.
Scenario 1:If I activate stormtrooper 1, Jyn quickdraws and kills it,agenda card Perpetual Reinforcements resolves and redeploys ST1. stormtrooper 2 and 3 proceed with activations. The redeployed ST should be able to have another activation, correct? I was going to say yes.

Scenario 2: ST1 and ST2 resolve activations. ST3 activates, Jyn quickdraws and kills it. That would normally end the turn. Will resolving Perpetual Reinforcements allow ST3 to resolve another activation though? Or will it have to wait until next round?

Perpetual Reinforcements says: Play after a TROOPER with a reinforcement cost of 3 or less is defeated. You may immediately deploy the defeated figure to any active deployment point.
I think the redeployed trooper should get another activation but I can see there being an argument discussion at the table.

Thanks in advance for anything you got!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you activate a group, you activate each figure in that group in your preferred order.

Perpetual Reinforcement deploys a figure after a Trooper figure has been defeated. Because the figure is defeated and deployed, it is a different figure, it has not activated yet, so it must activate during its group activation.

Defeating a figure during its activation ends that figure's activation, but Perpetual Reinforcement interrupts with the same timing and is resolved before the group activation has a chance to end. There is then still an unactivated figure in the group, and it must activate.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Serna
msg tools
Thank you, that's what I thought and I'm glad I understood it correctly!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
a1bert wrote:
Perpetual Reinforcement deploys a figure after a Trooper figure has been defeated. Because the figure is defeated and deployed, it is a different figure, it has not activated yet, so it must activate during its group activation.


Interesting. I had never thought about this previously and this answer sounds right to me. If I were making the call during a session I probably would have gone the other way with it only because it says to "deploy the defeated figure" (according to the original post, I don't have the card in front of me).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uninvited Guest wrote:
because it says to "deploy the defeated figure" (according to the original post, I don't have the card in front of me).

It is the same physical figure, which was removed from the map when being defeated, but figures and cards enter the game ready when deployed. This is analogous to a figure using Strategic Redeployment (Imperial Black Ops) to deploy a figure of its own group.

Unless, of course, FFG decides to rule this otherwise.

If Perpetual Reinforcement would be "instead of being defeated, ...", then it would be the same figure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachi C
msg tools
mb
a1bert wrote:
When you activate a group, you activate each figure in that group in your preferred order.

Perpetual Reinforcement deploys a figure after a Trooper figure has been defeated. Because the figure is defeated and deployed, it is a different figure, it has not activated yet, so it must activate during its group activation.

Defeating a figure during its activation ends that figure's activation, but Perpetual Reinforcement interrupts with the same timing and is resolved before the group activation has a chance to end. There is then still an unactivated figure in the group, and it must activate.

So, "New" Stormtrooper 3 (the last one) can activate.

But is it because the card says "Immediately"?

Is it possible a scenario where, since it was the last Stormtrooper, the group activation ends before the new stormtrooper enter in play with "Perpetual Reinforcement"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because the deployment happens during that group's activation. Thus, the new figure is a member of the group that hasn't activated and a group activation cannot end until each figure in the group has activated.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The deployment group activation cannot end before the the last figure ends its activation, and although they might seem to be ending at the same time, the figure always ends activation first, so effects triggering off it are performed first. In addition, being defeated must happen before the figure's activation ends, so effects triggering off of that need to be resolved before the figure's activation ends.

So,
1. The figure suffers damage equal to its Health -> becomes defeated
2. Becomes defeated and is removed from the map -> Perpetual Reinforcements
3. Perpetual Reinforcements deploys the figure just removed
4. The activation of the defeated figure ends
5. Group activation checks for any non-activated figures belonging to the group -> the new figure must be selected to activate
6. ...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachi C
msg tools
mb
thank you very much
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.