BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: does anyone remember the name of this "game" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick UTMEM
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was in the army (Armored Cav), we would conduct sandbox operations to train on communication, movement to contact and actions on contact with vehicles. The "game" consisted of this huge plastic terrain and small models of our vehicles (M113, M-3 Bradley, M-1 tank etc) we had little periscopes that we used to view the terrain as if we were in the vehicles. The whole thing came in a giant box that looked like a game box. Did anyone else in the service ever train with these? If so, does anyone else remember what it was called? Was it an actual game?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea, but you would do better asking this in the wargame forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There were "miniatures gamers" of whom 'moi' seen/read about using their own 'fashioned viewers' in a similar demeanor. In fact, some 'photographers' even employed them as such and provided the "playing level views" with these. You should have several assortment of them, so that you have Man-level, Horsed-level, etc.-level means of seeing anything from those differing 'perspectives' in such a demeanor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Recommendations

(This makes it easier for the detectives to find your case)

Wargame forum - may be worth asking these folk if you don't get the answer here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't use periscopes but when my dad was stationed in Wildflecken, FRG, when I was a kid (late 70s) we used 1/285 scale miniatures to play Dunn-Kempf Battle Guide to Simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the Army from 96-99, I was a Bradley Mechanic and saw a lot of the training and stuff the grunts did. Never saw what you are talking about, did see them play with silhouette flash cards to recognize armor both NATO and Russian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe knowing what years you were in could help people identify the game

was the periscope like this?

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=297999

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb

Like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.