Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Outbreak/Riot query (February spoiler in screenshot) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I was playing pandemic legacy with my partner earlier tonight and we ended up with an outbreak/riot issue that involved multiple stickers and we weren't 100% sure on. It was quite an unlucky first turn of the game after the initial setup. We recorded the board and deck states and packed up.

Would someone mind checking whether I have interpreted the situation correctly?

The board state is 3 yellow cubes on Khartoum, 2 cubes on Kinshasa and 1 cube on Johannesburg.

- Khartoum is drawn from the infection deck.
- There is an outbreak at Khartoum which increases the riot level to 1. Additional cubes are added to Lagos, Kinshasa, Johannesburg and Cairo
- Kinshasa is drawn from the infection deck.
- There is an outbreak as Kinshasa which increases the riot level to 1. Additional cubes are added to Lagos and Johannesburg.
- There is a chain reaction at Khartoum which increases the riot level to 2. Additional cubes are added to Lagos and Cairo.
- There is a chain reaction at Johannesburg which increases the riot level to 1. Additional cube is added to Buenos Aires.
- As the infection originated from Kinshasa and chain reacted to Khartoum, no further chain reactions from Johannesburg occurs.

The final board state is 2 cubes on Cairo, 3 on Khartoum, 3 on Kinshasa, 3 on Johannesburg, 3 on Lagos and 1 on Buenos Aires. Khartoum is on riot level 2, Kinshasa and Johannesburg are on riot level 1. The outbreak marker is on 4 (no previous outbreaks).

Have I got that correct?

Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konzy wrote:
Hi all,

I was playing pandemic legacy with my partner earlier tonight and we ended up with an outbreak/riot issue that involved multiple stickers and we weren't 100% sure on. It was quite an unlucky first turn of the game after the initial setup. We recorded the board and deck states and packed up.

Would someone mind checking whether I have interpreted the situation correctly?

The board state is 3 yellow cubes on Khartoum, 2 cubes on Kinshasa and 1 cube on Johannesburg.

- Khartoum is drawn from the infection deck.
- There is an outbreak at Khartoum which increases the riot level to 1. Additional cubes are added to Lagos, Kinshasa, Johannesburg and Cairo
- Kinshasa is drawn from the infection deck.
- There is an outbreak as Kinshasa which increases the riot level to 1. Additional cubes are added to Lagos and Johannesburg.
- There is a chain reaction at Khartoum which increases the riot level to 2. Additional cubes are added to Lagos and Cairo.
- There is a chain reaction at Johannesburg which increases the riot level to 1. Additional cube is added to Buenos Aires.
- As the infection originated from Kinshasa and chain reacted to Khartoum, no further chain reactions from Johannesburg occurs.

The final board state is 2 cubes on Cairo, 3 on Khartoum, 3 on Kinshasa, 3 on Johannesburg, 3 on Lagos and 1 on Buenos Aires. Khartoum is on riot level 2, Kinshasa and Johannesburg are on riot level 1. The outbreak marker is on 4 (no previous outbreaks).

Have I got that correct?

Many thanks

Spot on. Painful turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I've only glanced, but it looks like you've got the consequences of drawing those two cards correct under the circumstances.

But... how did the circumstances arise on the first turn of a game? Either you drew an Epidemic immediately, followed by an unlucky intensification, or you got something wrong in how you handled the initial infection and the infection deck more generally.

At a strategic level, if you get high cube counts in adjacent cities as a result of the initial infection, dropping everything and doing something about it immediately is worth serious consideration. Even if the Epidemic isn't instant, it's going to happen in at most five turns.

If you had an Epidemic on your first turn and the city off the bottom of the deck was adjacent to a two-cube city and those two cities came out in the pessimal order from the top of the deck after intensification, congratulations: you've just suffered a one-in-a-thousand mishap. You are allowed to hide in the corner and whimper. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation will escalate very quickly when 3 cities are connected in a triangle fashion and you draw infection cards from 2 of them.

We also learned it the hard way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
clivej wrote:

But... how did the circumstances arise on the first turn of a game? Either you drew an Epidemic immediately, followed by an unlucky intensification, or you got something wrong in how you handled the initial infection and the infection deck more generally.

Exactly that. Epidemic card was the second card drawn from the player deck on the first turn followed by an unlucky intensification and infect cities.

Just got to suck it up I guess!

Thanks all,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sai
msg tools
A first turn epidemic can actually be beneficial since you most likely have a bit of time to sort out the board state before the next one shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.