Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Marshall Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
~Deranged Review~

Hello! Welcome to this Deranged Review.

I encountered The Utrecht Businessgame at random about fifteen years ago. I played it at least once - although I'm not certain we even finished that game.

I do own a copy. Partially because it's about Utrecht, partially because it was about €1,50, and partially because I didn't wish anybody else to make the mistake of thinking it'd be a nice gift.

I'll be giving grades on several aspects of the game, such as discussed here.
For ART, I look at the big picture, and how that picture looks. EASE covers ease of play and learning curve, FLEXIBILITY covers the amount of free will you have and is therefore linked to replayability. FUN might be deceptive, as it's a gut thang, but I'll try and specify in the text, and COMPONENTS should be self-explanatory. I'll not say a lot about rules and specifics - you can find those out for yourself.

The Game Itself: Cthulhu Monopoly
Walk around, start business, first to four wins (or something).

ART
-The board features an outdated map of one of the most beautful cities in the world, but you could substitute Utrecht for Gouda, Rotterdam or Amsterdam, and those are only the ones I've actually seen.

The map is at least 20 years old, which is rather hilarious as there's about half a city missing ^^. There's post offices and museums, but the map is neither as detailed or integrated into the game as the one from Scotland Yard.

Everything else is either plastic or cardboard, and is on the wrong side of fine insofar as looks are concerned.

EASE
-The game's rules are easy to comprehend. The rulebook starts with details on the 20 companies unfortunate enough to get dragged into joining this farce - with a maximum of one per industry. After this obviously also outdated information/eulogy, the actual rules take up no more than one page. Two if you add the german rules.

And it still manages to raise more questions than answers - although most questions are along the lines of "why?".

FLEXIBILITY
-It's dice o'clock for as long as the game lasts. You do get some small bit of deciding sometimes, as you can turn around businesses or pick a space at random if you're lucky.

FUN
-No. Just no.

COMPONENTS
-Between the plastic pawns and the fact that the game is just horrible, the components deserve no credit whatsoever.

Pro's
It comes in several different flavours.

Con's
None of which are worth it.

End result:
This... "game" was added to a lot of christmas boni, as many large companies tied their name to it as a form of advertisement, so probably not for free - no doubt snagging a pile of games for their business partners and worker ants in the bargain. That's 20 companies per city, with at least four different cities available...

SOMEONE ended up filthy rich over the backs of innocent would-be gamers, and possibly turned a significant percentage of the Dutch off of gaming forever in the process. I hope the money was worth it.

The game could be given as an extra to someone, and it's one of the cheapest ways to get your hand on an outdated map for on the wall. That's about all that can be said about it.

As usual, please give your opinion in the comments .

Pics are from Catawiki.nl, seeing as there are none on BGG.

Oh, by the way, I am Deranged. I like to have fun with (and around) boardgames, and have played many of them over the years. I've been furniture in my FLGS for years ^^. I tend to like old games; well, I tend to like good games, most of which have been around for bit ^^. I've written 93 reviews as of yet, which you can access here, and a handful of random topics discussed here. If you want me to write a review for you or recommend me a game, there's this neat little envelop near my avatar!

googoo

The game is so horrible, it doesn't even have any footnotes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of those that got this "game" from my employer.
I threw it away not long after.
I kept the smiley dice though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Marshall Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dice are nice, true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Irene Lunan
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the review, I swear; I still want a copy of this. Not as a game but for kitsch value? You can't stop me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Marshall Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rachelthfirst wrote:
I read the review, I swear; I still want a copy of this. Not as a game but for kitsch value? You can't stop me!

I can try*!

*to supply you with whichever version you'd like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.