Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: RIP_12_24_2016 [+] [View All]
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, has passed. A novel accessible to the young which does not speak down to them on the important matters of life.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/arts/richard-adams-author-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Wonderful author.

"Silflay hraka, u embleer rah!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Watership Down was one of those books I was 'forced' to read in junior high. And then really APPRECIATED being force to read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Watership Down was one of those books I was 'forced' to read in junior high. And then really APPRECIATED being force to read it.

My friend, Eddie, who introduced me to it when we were 13, gave it the highest compliment: "I didn't want it to end."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

Watership Down also made the rounds in my middle school; however I never had a teacher who made this required reading. I will have to pick up a copy and give it a read. I will probably appreciate it more now in my old age anyway.

Mr. Adams had another book I wanted to read but never did. It was called Traveller. A story of the American Civil War told from the perspective of Robert E. Lee's horse, Traveller. Has anyone read this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seemed to Hazel that he would not be needing his body any more, so he left it lying on the edge of the ditch, but he stopped for a moment to watch his rabbits and to try to get used to the extraordinary feeling that strength and speed were flowing inexhaustibly out of him into their sleek young bodies and healthy senses.

"You neednt worry about them," said his companion. "They'll be all right--and thousands more like them. If you'll come along, I'll show you what I mean."

He reached the top of the bank in a single, powerful leap. Hazel followed; and together they slipped away, running easily down through the wood, where the first primroses were beginning to bloom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Watership Down also made the rounds in my middle school; however I never had a teacher who made this required reading. I will have to pick up a copy and give it a read. I will probably appreciate it more now in my old age anyway.

Mr. Adams had another book I wanted to read but never did. It was called Traveller. A story of the American Civil War told from the perspective of Robert E. Lee's horse, Traveller. Has anyone read this?

I read ages ago, before I knew much about the US Civil War. As a result, the specifics haven't stayed with me, but I recall admiring how Adams could make the story really feel like it was from a horse's point of view, much as he succeeded with creating a believable rabbit society. I need to read it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.