Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps a weird question, but maybe not for other fans of C&C that also played BL+Epic. Once I got Epic for BL I never looked back and never played another session without it. To date I only own & have only played CCN with the Austrian exp. I'm planning on purchasing GM&T next week, as my son and I have always enjoyed the unpredictability that full-on Lore rules+deck adds to BL - thinking new Tacticians & Command cards could do something in that direction for CCN.

Having only played CCN for the last year, from my reading of the details for this expansion I'm still not sure if it's going to deliver something along the lines of BL+Epic. Would it be possible for someone who's played both to comment on that? As well, will I even be able to use Epic with just owning CCN, Austrian Exp and GM&T?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something of a speculative answer here, since my CCN Epic experience has been on VASSAL, or with fan-made EPIC rules following the C&C Ancients model.

What is known is that CCN Epic has rules for 2,4,6 & 8 players
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/the-game/game-b...

I'd say the 2 player CCN Epic plays pretty closely to BL Epic (which I've played multiple times).

4,6 & 8 player mode seems to follow the C&C Ancients model rather than the BL Reluctant allies model, which I think is a better model, giving more consistent flow to the game.

The GM&T is a must have pre-requisite for Epic, and it adds a level of unpredictability to CCN which can be a boon or a curse, depending on your situation. The method of drawing Tactics cards is different to BL, since it depends on Command Card play.
http://www.commandsandcolors.net/napoleonics/the-game/game-b...

I think it would be possible to play Epic with just the Base and Austrian Expansion, though some unit substitution may be required. I think 8 of the EPIC scenarios require just British/Portuguese or Austrian units. 1 Requires a few Spanish LN, which Austrians could substitute. I have doubts that British could effectively substitute for Russians for the Austerlitz scenario, but I guess you could try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.