Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Remodel a Gold card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Cison
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Without a clear rule against doing this, I used a Remodel card on a Gold to get a Province to win the game. The questionable part is a gold card worth 6 or 3? Since all of the other Action cards are worth what you paid for them, I took that same consideration that I had to pay 6 to get a gold card, and so its worth is 6. Did I win?

Thanks,
Tc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tcison wrote:
Without a clear rule against doing this, I used a Remodel card on a Gold to get a Province to win the game. The questionable part is a gold card worth 6 or 3? Since all of the other Action cards are worth what you paid for them, I took that same consideration that I had to pay 6 to get a gold card, and so its worth is 6. Did I win?

Yes!

Not only that, you live in a province which is basically made of gold. You don't just have a gold toilet; your toilet paper is gold leaf. Not so absorbent, but that's what servants are for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife introduced me to this trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
It is obviously a good thing to do when there are one or two provinces left, ...but is it always a good move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salva wrote:
It is obviously a good thing to do when there are one or two provinces left, ...but is it always a good move?

No one thing is always a good move, but Remodeling Gold into Province is generally a strong play, yes. Without that capability, Remodel would be far weaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cison
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
YES!!!!

Thank you to everyone who replied. I couldn't wait to check my messages this morning.

Thanks again everyone, and have a great NEW YEAR!

Tc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
E.g., don't do it to your one gold card but if you have enough do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG Thomas!

Depending on where you live, you might have a lot of Dominion fans nearby. For example, both LastFootnote and I are both in Saint Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
On when to do it, my thought is, is this gold likely to get me more than one province before the game ends? Then don't do it. Otherwise, do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Swantner
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's even right there in the third sentence.
It can be used on cheap cards, such as Remodeling Estates into Silvers or cheap engine pieces, or on expensive cards, such as Remodeling Golds into Provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cison
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info. I've heard that there are groups around the cities that play all kinds of board games. One was mentioned around Roseville. Not ready for that sort of commitment yet. Thanks again, and have a great New Year!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP
This indeed does work. Good find! cool

LastFootnote wrote:
salva wrote:

No one thing is always a good move, but Remodeling Gold into Province is generally a strong play, yes. Without that capability, Remodel would be far weaker.
You're turning something what otherwise generates $3 into an $8 item that's worth 6 VP. Good stuff indeed! And you do it towards the end since your engine will take a hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tcison wrote:

Thanks,
Tc

Just a helpful note on terminology, Remodel talks about the "Cost" of a card, it doesn't mention anything about "Worth". Gold costs $6, so that's what Remodel cares about. You can think of a Gold as "Worth" 3 when you play it, but that really just is a way of saying "It produces 3 money when played."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.