Subject: Showing each other our cards - will it ruin the expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris K.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I and my gaming group just played through Asylum, and we thoroughly enjoyed it... with a caveat. We started out playing according to the rules, paraphrasing what we found on the cards. But my friends found it really cumbersome, to the point where people with shorter attention spans kept skipping over the essential story text and jumped straight to the instructions.

In the end, it didn't seem like it adversely affected the gameplay, and we agreed that it was nice to all see the artwork on the backs of the cards.

We want to play the expansions, but I'm wondering if "breaking" the rules in this way will cause us to run into trouble. I checked the existing threads as much as I could and couldn't find any hard answers. People seemed to propose "what if there is a traitor scenario" but I couldn't find out if this was actually the case.

A simple "yes you will run into trouble" or "no, you may continue" will suffice. Oh, and if you could specify which expansions you are talking about that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems that I am aware of or could imagine.

I loved the paraphrasing part because it felt we were working together as opposed to just a card reading activity but it isn't technically required in any of the expansions that are generally available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes it easier to solve things if everyone sees the cards. It probably slows things down. It mitigates the "weakest link" in your team -- the short attention span person(s). But the game is still challenging and not "ruined". I've had to do similar, because some in our group don't have the discipline/imagination to internalize the scene and paraphrase back to the group. I've learned to live with it, and if that is what it takes for some to enjoy it, so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dopple wrote:
A simple "yes you will run into trouble" or "no, you may continue" will suffice. Oh, and if you could specify which expansions you are talking about that would be awesome.

If you want a simple answer, everyone will have to say "no problem". There's not even a possible way it will "run you into trouble" (as it's like hitting a "hint button"), but it can diminish the fun.

Without a spoiler, we were playing Asylum and one player got to have an "ah-ha" moment and tell us about something on a card he saw that he didn't think was important. Being able to contribute something to the team is what a co-op game is about. In addition to a more immersive and role-play like experience that comes with playing by the rules, sharing all the cards can lead you to a problem that many co-op (e.g. Pandemic, Forbidden Island, etc) games have-- one player drags other players through the game so that at the end of it they feel they weren't actually "playing".

You are at an impasse-- the story text solves a mystery, these games are about mysteries, yet your group is bored by the story text. I personally can't imagine (based off of this game and its price) that this game is a fit for your game group. However, if you guys have fun playing it sharing cards, then you've solved your problem. I'd personally look for a way to engage your friends more (or at least get them to pay for the expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that some people do summarize wrong (due to numerous reasons) is part of the game.

Our group had that problem several times and none of us has a short attention span, we just dropped some parts doe to summarizing it - as it turned out later they were important.
We had a great time though!

If we thought something is important we send another person (or maybe two) in the next run.

In the game you each take over a receptacle and while going in different directions communicate telepathic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sharing the cards will definitely ruin one of the most fun riddles we ever had in the game. There definitely is information on cards that is not supposed to be shared explicitly (unless you're the kind of person who likes to solve Sudokus by copying the numbers from the solutions page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my team and me, the shared story-telling of TIME Stories is a major part of the experience and showing each others' cards is definitely not for us, if we want to confirm what someone is saying or seeing then we'll spend a TU and move to the space to see for ourselves.

However no one is going to stop you from playing the game how you want, so go ahead with sharing the cards.

Running into trouble: A Prophecy of Dragons has one card that specifically forbids the agent/s reading it from sharing the information on it, but even that can be ignored if you wish, Tom Vasel did so during the Dice Tower's run through and they rate the scenario as their current favourite expansion. I would say that my team had more fun with that situation with trying to figure out what was going on with our colleagues rather than seeing the card and saying "oh, so that's what's happening, and that's how we resolve it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pachner
Germany
Aßlar
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you will run into trouble. In one scenario it will break some of the mechanisms since
Spoiler (click to reveal)
instructions on cards may affect the agents or players, not the receptacles.

Of course, it depends on what exactly makes the game fun for you.

Let me make up an example:
A card instructs you (the player) to put on a hat. Now do you
a) put on a hat or
b) just announce "hey everyone, I'm supposed to wear a hat now"

If your answer is b) then you'll probably be fine showing around all the cards and just miss out on a few puzzles. If your answer is a) then stop showing around the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuazzel wrote:
Yes you will run into trouble. In one scenario it will break some of the mechanisms since

For those curious, he's talking about Under the Mask IIRC

Edit: apparently I didn't remember correctly. It's actually Prophecy of Dragons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
cuazzel wrote:

For those curious, he's talking about Under the Mask IIRC

I thought he meant A Prophecy of Dragons (at least there is something like this there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
I thought he meant A Prophecy of Dragons (at least there is something like this there)

Ahh you're right. Knew it was one of those two, but thought it was UtM. Will edit other post to clarify

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think for that specific card Jeff is mentioning you can just handle it differently and things aren't broken.

Quote:
cuazzel wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
These responses have all been amazingly helpful.

Basically, it seems continuing as we've been playing won't make for a bad experience, but it's best to go back to playing by the rules if I can convince my group to do so.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck Chris, but, overall, have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be worth mentioning that the game itself mentions the possibility of future missions having a traitor element, so in that one it would probably be a very bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
We never said that! blush

Well, even if there are no traitors in the T.I.M.E Agency, you should stick to the rules in this case.

You never know, some items and special cards could "order" you to keep the contents secrets from the other players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried to put in a traitor element in a scenario - the mechanic was quite nice, the problem is that it's rather frustrating for a player to be a traitor.

I've seen a nice twist in a fan-made scenario though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that showing other players the cards would make it easier for someone to start taking over the game as sometimes happens in co-op games.

For my particular experience we certainly would've solved our scenario much earlier if we could've revealed a particular card to everyone. Possibly an entire run sooner if we could've all seen 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.