Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
Game name : Stack4

Material :
Square board 8*8
2 sets of 32 stackable pawns (red and blue)

Goal : to win you must be the last player to make a legal move

Phase placement :
The board is empty at the set up.
Choose who play first
Blue start the game
On his turn the player drop a stack of 4 pawns on an empty cell inside the square (C3,F6)
Players alternate until all the 16 stacks of 4 pawns are placed inside the square (C3,F6).
I assume that the board columns are labeled A,B,C,...,G,H and the rows 1,2,3,....,7,8
8 turns by player are needed to finish this phase

Phase move

Rules :
On his turn a player must pick a pawn on the top of one his stacks and drop it on an empty cell.
Player can move any pawn of one of his stacks in all directions ( orthogonal diagonal up and down) with some restrictions :
- player can jump over his friendly stacks or single pawns to land on an empty cell. So no restriction when jumping over a friendly stack.
- player can not jump over an opponent stack as long as the height of his stack is < to the opponent stack.

Example :
-a stack of 3 red pawns in placed on the row 5 column 1
-row 5 columns 2 and 3 are occupied by respectively 1 blue pawn and 1 red pawn
-row 5 column 4 is occupied by a stack of 4 blue pawns
-row 5 column 5,6,7,8 are empty
-hence a red player can not jump over the column 4 because his stack is height 3 and his opponent is height 4
-so red player can not use the row 5 to place his pawn. He must try another direction (vertically or diagonally).

Keep in mind that the height of the stacks is changing so what is not possible at the instant t could be possible at the instant t+1 or 2 etc...

Players alternate.
The game ends when one the player is not able to place a pawn.
The winner is the player who made the last legal move.

My comment : This game will give you a headache
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For a finite and maybe more nuanced game, I think I would have added a rule that stones must end their moves at a lower level than they started while allowing to move onto other stacks. (There are probably a few different options regarding how to deal with moving onto or from enemy stacks.)

Anyway, it seems an interesting mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
The same mechanism could be used in a variant of Clobber and Hex.
You need just to adapt it.
Anyway landing on an empty cell is sufficient.
I did not want to make the game more sophisticated by allowing a player to land on his friendly stack or pawn. So he could move in more steps and so on to "flatten" his stacks.
At the end of the game almost all cells will contain 1 pawn.
Il y a a manger et a boire dans ce jeu.
There are many directions which could be taken to make the game better.
Good luck with this mechanism.
You are free to do whatever you want as long as you say : I was inspired by an idea of Hazen.
I have no problem with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I guess it's implied that stacks of height 1 can't be moved (or aren't considered stacks). Otherwise the game will never end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
luigi87 wrote:
Oh, I guess it's implied that stacks of height 1 can't be moved (or aren't considered stacks). Otherwise the game will never end.

It will be absurd to move a stack of height 1 to an empty cell because you will empty another cell.
The mechanism of this game imply mainly the use of stacks as blocking opponent move. The order of moving or not is important.
Once a stack is reduced to height 1 it will not be moved then.
At the inception I ruled that players could drop their stacks anywhere on the board. Big flaw! Then I changed the rule : only inside the square (C3,F6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hu man bin wrote:
At the inception I ruled that players could drop their stacks anywhere on the board. Big flaw!

What was the problem? More freedom is usually better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
luigi87 wrote:
hu man bin wrote:
At the inception I ruled that players could drop their stacks anywhere on the board. Big flaw!

Easy to see what is the problem if you are game designer. It is so obvious that it jump on your face.
Take some minutes of thinking softly and you will see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
hu man bin wrote:
luigi87 wrote:
hu man bin wrote:

Easy to see what is the problem if you are game designer. It is so obvious that it jump on your face.

Did you come here to talk about games or to act superior to others?

If it helps, I'll just say now: you're better than me. You're awesome.

Feel better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
NJames wrote:
hu man bin wrote:
luigi87 wrote:
hu man bin wrote:

Did you come here to talk about games or to act superior to others?

If it helps, I'll just say now: you're better than me. You're awesome.

Feel better?

As long as you want people to applaud to thumb up and shut up this forum will go nowhere.
If you want to make suggestion think twice or more before opening your mouth.
It is obvious that if you allow players to drop freely their stacks what this game will if if the 2 players chose to drop their on the columns A and H (for example). There many other positions where the game will not be a game at all. That rule will create a big flaw.
You do not need to be genius to see it.
If you do not see it as game designer go sale peanuts or shut up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If you're going to continue to be so dreadfully antagonistic I'm going to stop conversing with you and start flagging your insults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Alicea
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NJames wrote:
If you're going to continue to be so dreadfully antagonistic I'm going to stop conversing with you and start flagging your insults.

Just stop feeding the Troll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Akenson
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Needless insults are driven by an obvious psychological flaw but i am not going to insult your very obvious intelligence by pointing out what that flaw is. A moments reflection should do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.