BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New gamer, plays solo games, 10 in collection....next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Murray
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hi guys, kind of new to board gaming. I generally play solo and have 10 solid games in the collection so far. I'd like to hear what should be my next group of 5 or so games to keep my collection 'respectable' moving forward..my current owned games are listed below:
Robinson Crusoe
A Touch of Evil
Freedom
Zombicide
Eldritch Horror
Apex: theo game
Time Stories
Mice and Mystics
The Gallerist
Scythe

*note* I already plan on getting: Nations, Ghost Stories, Madge Knight

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Uwe Rosenberg is a favorite of mine for solo play, and he develops a solo version for nearly all of his games. Here are some really good ones:

Fields of Arle
A Feast for Odin
At the Gates of Loyang

Also, La Granja has an excellent solo variant, and so does Terraforming Mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you, A Feast for Odin has been on my radar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest One Deck Dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Wings for the Baron (second edition)
Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45
D-Day at Omaha Beach (if you're brave!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I do need me a 'military' game..thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm is great! Get the Quest deck and more characters as you need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van Overberghe
United States
South Bend
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the GMT COIN series... They all allow solo play. I like Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection because of the subject matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty to choose from here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Steele

Gallipolis
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Onirim and Friday for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cruel Necessity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David murray wrote:
I do need me a 'military' game..thanks

I play lots of solo games, and I think war games are generally the best genre in the solo-game space. Euros generally gravitate to the score-the-most-points objective and that eventually bores me. Some Ameritrash games work great solo as well since those are closer at heart to a war game. Example non-wargames that have win or die objectives are Space Hulk: Death Angel, Gears of War, the D&D adventure games, or even Pandemic. Another reason those games work well solo is because they are hard to consistently win; war and combat is unpredictable and all of those games are unforgiving. But overall, I play more solo war games than solo Euro's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Koehnlein
United States
Rosedale
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
You might like The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, very challenging solo/cooperative game.

Lighter solo/co-op games are Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert

I love Viticulture Essential Edition and it has a pretty decent solo variant using an automa deck (like the one your copy of Scythe has).

I second Onirim (second edition) also!

Hope these help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It really boils down to what you're looking for. There are a ton of games that play solo!

My personal favourites are
Onirim (second edition) because there are a lot of different configurations and the modular expansions let you decide the complexity and lenghth of your game
Sentinels of the Multiverse and Aeon's End, which I put together because they both let you play with multiple hands (you're actually playing a normal game where you are all the players at once), and have a ton of replay value thanks to the Choose a villain, Choose an environment/market, Choose X heroes, and FIGHT till death! system. Aeon's End can be played with only one character but it's tough!
Star Realms/Hero Realms (but you "need" the solo cards) because the set up is minimal, the game is quick, and you can easily chain 5 games. Now these are not the best solo games ever, but they're my go to games when I want something fast and not too brainy.

If you want something free, you could try (Your Name Here) and the Argonauts. The game plays fast, and there is a lot of decisions for you to make. Win a lot in the first game and you'll make subsequent sessions harder! Very interesting game.

I'm also expecting a lot from Hostage Negotiator, but since I kickstarted it I must wait until March to get it

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders M
Norway
flag msg tools
Pandemic is a good solo-game. Right now I am playing A feast for Odin solo. Very good so far. It is basically made as a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go over to the 1 player guild there is an ongoing Solo Gmaes On Yiur Table geeklist that has tons of games listed on it and most have small reviews. Also, they have a 2016 Top 100 People's Choice Solo Games list that was just finished up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the designer's excellent previous game Navajo Wars, I'd highly recommend Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire for a war game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My favorite solo games are Hostage Negotiator and Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. Legendary has regular and advanced solo rules, both of which are excellent.

Any co-op games out there can be played solo by simply covering several roles. Pandemic is one example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, the Solitaire Games on Your Table monthly geeklist is a great resource for solo gamers. You subscribe to the monthly list here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24363640#24363640

The December list is about the end, but there will be a January one added soon.

I noticed some minis games in your collection. Fireteam Zero is a very good game, with some expansions coming out soon. I also like Z War One: Damnation, but it appears to have gotten lost among all the zombie games that came out around it. Speaking of which, Dark Darker Darkest is now selling for the very low price of $16 via Amazon Prime. An excellent, but very difficult, solo experience, and one of my favorite zombie-themed games. I've had a lot of fun with MERCS: Recon – Assassination Protocol; part of it is that the cyberpunkish theme really appeals to me.

As far as wargames, D-Day at Omaha Beach seems to have become a modern solo classic. If you can bear some extra complexity and dollars, then Enemy Action: Ardennes (by the same designer) is also a classic, an absolutely brilliant piece of game design and development. It can be played solo as the Germans or Allies, or with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Zutic
Serbia
Belgrade
New Belgrade
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XCOM: The Board Game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two favourites soloable games are:
Snowdonia
Lewis & Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game: great solo, soon out of print!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Gates of Loyang is my go to recommendation for a solo game from Rosenberg.

I see you don't have any by him and I think this is his best solo offering (haven't played Feast for Odin yet). The mechanics are card-driven, but the solo game has more than a "just play by yourself" system. You lay the cards out in a grid and have to purchase them, instead of just getting them. But every round (after you buy up to two cards) the second row disappears (the cards in the bottom row are free, second 1, etc.), causing some movement in the grid. It really adds an interesting decision layer to the solo game, on top of what is already a pretty interesting exercise in efficiency.

Caverna is a great game, but not a good solo game (there is no variability in the setup, or play, so the game is an exercise in figuring out the one best path to victory). Agricola is also very good, but I prefer Loyang for solo.

I also recommend the COIN games, but they can be a but frustrating to learn at first because you have to learn 4 different sides (there is some overlap in rules, but not much in decision space between them). I don't play with the bot flow-charts either (just play all 4 sides to the best of my abilities).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I would recommend:

D-Day at Omaha Beach

Kingdom Death: Monster

Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's currently difficult to get, but Terraforming Mars is excellent both as a solo and a multiplayer game. Fortunately, a reprint should be released next month afaik.

One of the perks of TM as a solo game is that unlike the Uwe Rosenberg games mentioned above (which are excellent solo experiences), TM can be set up / torn down in about 2 minutes, with the most arduous part of setup being shuffling the massive deck of cards. TM is also slightly less of a table hog than most Uwe offerings, although it isn't exactly 'small'. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.