Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a 3P game, and the players moved our corps slowly toward Rhine, to protect the occupied cities against the counter-attack.

However, after the first Supply Check Interphase, we had only 2 Axis flag token left....and the game was ended.

I felt that it was "ended" too soon, before we accomplished any.

Did we play anything wrong?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen a player reach the Rhine before the game ends. But I've never experienced a game ending after the first supply check interphase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above, crossing the Rhine is rare. (I've seen it twice). But the first supply check? What were people doing? How were they moving supplies?

I think if you play again it will likely go differently. Patton in particular needs to push ahead quickly. (He is the only general we've had cross the Rhine).

The other two players generally try to slow Patton down with Germans, and that gives him enemies to fight (and remove, prolonging the game). Bradley has the least chance of crossing, so he often makes a run for the cities and tries to get medals by fighting Germans.

Once the supply of German tokens gets low, people start counting points and removing them instead of adding more at the end of their turn if they need to prolong the game (or cut off someone's supplies).

Just a couple questions for you:
- Did anyone remove German markers instead of placing them?
- Did you return German markers to the pool? (Ones removed or defeated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the appropriate number of Axis markers (25 with 3 players)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did use all 25 Axis markers correctly.

In the game, as all players moved slowly and all the controlled cities were well protected, we could not take counter-attack action but only placed the new Axis markers.

Let's do the math: 25 Axis markers / 3 players, i.e. after 7 rounds there will be only 4 Axis markers left in the pool and after 8 rounds, one left.

Still, don't really know what went wrong

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Ozon
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you had any fight with Axis counter? If not, this is a reason.
You need to destroy German units, before their defense grows too strong to be able to sustain the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I apologize for finding this thread a little late...

I'd like to help answer the OP's question but I'm a little puzzled by the situation that the OP is trying to describe. It sounds like, from the OP itself, that the first Supply Check Interphase ended the game? Of course that can't be the case, so is why I'm confused as to what the SCI has to do with the game ending.

Or is the OP simply saying that the game had only one SCI before it ended? It sounds like it may be this, as the OP's 2nd post focused more on the length of the game (7-8 rounds without any counter-attacks. See more on this below).

Anyway, here are two thoughts off the top of my head, to help answer the OP's question:
1) As Michał mentioned above, assuming the other players were playing to win, you have to go through at least one or two Axis units in order to just make it to the Rhine. The point being, that when you defeat those Axis units, the Axis Flag Marker is returned to the stack for later use.

So the math that the OP presented above doesn't quite work out. And it never will. The game will ALWAYS be longer than what the math dictates. This is because, for every Counter-Attack, the game is extended beyond the mathematical answer by one more turn because of course an Axis Marker is not consumed. And for every defeat of an Axis marker, the game is extended by one more turn for the reason I mention above.

2) Second, the shortest path to cross the Rhine is 11-12 spaces. So if you moved your corps perfectly, it would cost one of the Corps four barrels of oil from the Corps' card, to move 11 spaces. Then there's at least one SCI, which requires at least one food from the Corps' card. Then at least one Axis unit had to have been encountered, which is at least two Ammo from the Corps' card. This means:
Just to get to the Rhine, a Corps played absolutely perfectly would need to expend:
- 4 Oil
- 1 Food
- 2 Ammo

That's more items than what the Corps could've possibly started its journey with. Where I'm going with this is that to keep that one Corps supplied requires a Transport Supplies action. Also in order to establish the careful protection line that the OP talked about, the other Corps also have to move so they also require oil, some of which also needs to be transported.

So all this transportation is going to require more than the six trucks that each player starts with. This means that in order for just one Corps to just make it to the Rhine while protecting the supply line, at least one Supply Check Interphase MUST occur!

And THEN, the unit must cross the Rhine and do battle with the Axis there! This will require transporting more Ammo, which requires additional Transport Supplies actions, which usually requires taking more trucks, which typically means at least a second SCI.

Though of course it IS very possible to cross the Rhine and defeat the Axis unit across the river by using two or three Airborne units. This is actually in my humble experience, the most effective way to win. But to do this, you need to focus on grabbing three medals along your journey so you can pay for the Airborne forces. And don't forget to use your Air Support a lot, to take advantage of the extra Ammo that that provides.

I hope this helped a little, to get closer to answering the OP's question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.