15 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: On the Lam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, quick question - if I include 2x On the Lam in my Skids deck do neither of them count against the deck-size limit? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only include one copy of the investigator specific cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I see. It threw me as the others have the Unique symbol but On the Law doesn't. Thanks

Edit: can you point me in the direction of that rule, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Check the backsides of the Investigator cards, it'll tell you to include 1 of the Investigator special - they are specifically mentioned, not part of your 30 card limit (to which the various rules like "2 copies" apply).

Also, "Unique" has nothing to do with deckbuilding (you can still include 2 of regular Unique cards), it's about being at most one in play (across all players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to be obtuse but the back of the card just says On the Lam is a requirement, it doesn't say you can't opt to include 2 or that only 1 doesn't count against deck size.

Oh and thanks re: unique, I used to know that - it's late here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a misprint on the 5 signature cards, and that misprint is that those cards are shown as level 0. They are supposed to show up as being without level (like story assets). This has been corrected for the 5 upcoming Dunwich Legacy cards and was said to be updated in subsequent printings of the base set.

You can look at Zoey's Cross, to see what the cost/level area should look like: https://arkhamdb.com/card/02006
And compare it to the mistake from On the Lam: https://arkhamdb.com/card/01010
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeetSC2 wrote:
I don't mean to be obtuse but the back of the card just says On the Lam is a requirement, it doesn't say you can't opt to include 2 or that only 1 doesn't count against deck size.

They aren't player cards in the pool that you get to select and use for deckbuilding your deck, they are the unique cards that come as a requirement for for using a particular investigator and are only added when you're instructed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
DeetSC2 wrote:

They aren't player cards in the pool that you get to select and use for deckbuilding your deck, they are the unique cards that come as a requirement for for using a particular investigator and are only added when you're instructed to.

If you look at the card though, it is printed as a level 0 neutral card, but has the text on it that says "Skids deck only". Since Skids can use level 0 neutral cards, there appears to be no reason this card couldn't be used twice by Skids (once as one of his thirty card deck and a second time as his mandatory added card).

This is why it has to be stated that the cards are misprinted, which they are. So despite the fact it looks like you can, the designers of the game have said you cannot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just explaining the difference to Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is explicitly stated in the rulebook in deckbuilding section. It is hard to find (and don't have the rulebook to fire exact page). Modifying the art so they don't look like neutrals is extra help but not needed. They are not neutral cards, so you cannot add them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nushura wrote:
It is explicitly stated in the rulebook in deckbuilding section. It is hard to find (and don't have the rulebook to fire exact page). Modifying the art so they don't look like neutrals is extra help but not needed. They are not neutral cards, so you cannot add them

Signature cards ARE neutral cards, and there is nothing in the rulebook that explicitly says you cannot add 2x to your deck. It is hard to find because it's not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:
Nushura wrote:

Signature cards ARE neutral cards, and there is nothing in the rulebook that explicitly says you cannot add 2x to your deck. It is hard to find because it's not there.

Is the fact that it isn't explicitly stated over-ruled by the designers' clarification on the misprint which Bobby mentions?

And just so I cover everything and can then go and lie down in a dark room somewhere - if OtL is Neutral and I can have 2 in my deck, do either of them count against my 30 card limit?

It seems strange that the other 4 investigator-specific cards in the core set have Unique symbols which wouldn't be necessary if you were only allowed 1 per deck whereas On the Lam doesn't. If it was intended you could only ever have 1 of any of these I'd have thought the use of the Unique symbol would be consistent across all 5 (either there because it's technically Unique anyway or not there because it's academic whether it's Unique or not). That is unless there'll be Unique encounter cards down the road that could mean you'll lose your Unique Investigator-specific card if you draw it (Cursed Tote Bag!!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The designer said that you cannot add a second copy of your signature card to your deck, and this will be clearly stated in the official FAQ. This is what matters.

Each investigator card says on the back side that deckbuilding requirements do not count towards the 30-card deck.

Events cannot be unique by definition, because they do not ever stay in play... Well, that's not really true, some events in AGOT and ANR enter play as attachments, and could in theory be unique, but On the Lam is clearly not one of these.

As to why signature assets need to be Unique if they're restricted to 1-per-deck anyway - there might be effects that refer to unique cards (plenty of these in AGOT). It is not a purely deckbuilding mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shame they have to FAQ something like this.

Just removing the level won't make it clear; it will just provoke questions from new players. The signature cards should include "Limit 1..." on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.