Subject: What Does Stunned Impact? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could not find anything in the rules about how to treat Stunned baddies.

We played that stunned baddies did were (effectively) not part of the game until they became unstunned. I'm eager to learn if this is correct or not, though.

Here are just a few of the situations we ran into when baddies were stunned:
* Monster Activation phase (both the killing/attacking part of the phase and the moving part of the phase)
* Various in-game effects that forced players to move baddies (such as some Event cards and at least one of the Master's abilities)
* Various in-game effects that allowed players to move baddies for their own benefit (such as the Cross)
* Various in-game effects that counted the number of baddies on the board and/or the number of baddies in a particular location (for instance, a few of the Master's Plot cards)

In all of these instances (and possibly a few more) we played as if the stunned baddies were not there. They did not move, they did not attack, etc.

Was this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Stunned baddies do not activate during Monster Activation. See the example on page 18. The probably should have mentioned that in the rules as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt. But are you saying that is the *only* impact to Stunned? See the various other examples I gave (some of which happen before the Monsters Activate phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harbison
msg tools
Stunned monsters don't kill/wound or move during the monster activation phase, and nothing can move a stunned monster. (I'm positive I found both of these answers in the rulebook, but it's a tad difficult to navigate and I don't remember exactly where.) (Sidenote, this makes Buffy's special action super awesome, especially if you can lure a bunch of baddies into one location.)

As far as I understand it, the only instance where you have to treat a stunned baddie as existing is that you can't use a location's ability if there's a stunned baddie there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
See FAQ on page 17 of the rules. Nothing moves stunned baddies. Stunned baddies can be killed by anything that kills baddies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, saw that. Doesn't totally answer the questions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
What questions does it not answer? It seems clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boB S.
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthHarbison wrote:
As far as I understand it, the only instance where you have to treat a stunned baddie as existing is that you can't use a location's ability if there's a stunned baddie there.

Per page 21 of the rulebook: "Use: Activate an Active Location or a Search Location. This action cannot be used in a location containing Enemy Tokens that are not stunned." (Emphasis mine.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boB S.
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
I could not find anything in the rules about how to treat Stunned baddies.

We played that stunned baddies did were (effectively) not part of the game until they became unstunned. I'm eager to learn if this is correct or not, though.

Here are just a few of the situations we ran into when baddies were stunned:
* Monster Activation phase (both the killing/attacking part of the phase and the moving part of the phase)

You played this correctly IMO, keeping in mind that stunned baddies become unstunned again immediately after the monster activation phase. Therefore, you won't be able to rescue a Townie if there is a stunned Baddie in the same space, because that Baddie will be unstunned first.

Quote:
* Various in-game effects that forced players to move baddies (such as some Event cards and at least one of the Master's abilities)
* Various in-game effects that allowed players to move baddies for their own benefit (such as the Cross)

You played these correctly IMO.

Quote:
* Various in-game effects that counted the number of baddies on the board and/or the number of baddies in a particular location (for instance, a few of the Master's Plot cards)

I don't remember this ever coming up during my playthrough, but I see what you mean, and in lieu of an official response by the designers, I think I would play this as "thematically" as possible. For instance:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
From The Master's plot card: "If there are more Vampires than unprotected Townies in a location, kill those Townies." This implies that those Vampires are *actively* teaming up to kill the Townies; therefore, any stunned Vamps would not be able to act, and would be skipped in this calculation.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
From The Master's plot card: "Any time a Townie is killed in a location containing at least 1 Vampire, spawn 1 Vampire in the location." I interpret this to mean that the Vampires are trying to create more Vampires to grow the Master's ranks. If you have a stunned Vampire on a space where a Townie was killed, then that Townie must have been killed by some other enemy. Once again, the Vampire must be able to *act* in order to turn this Townie into a Vampire. Therefore, I would say that this event *doesn't* trigger in this case.

Note that these cards do not specifically say "At the end of each round" on them. If they did (which some of them do), I would refer to page 13 of the rulebook, which states that the stunned enemies become unstunned *before* resolving the Big Bad actions labeled "At the end of each round".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowhere in the rules does it actually say that a stunned baddie doesn't get to activate.

I found it in the end in the "Example of Play" section in the back of the book. Pretty poor that this was missed really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Unfortunately, there is no one place for this information. It took me going through the rulebook a couple of times to figure out Stunned Baddies.

Stunned baddies only affect the game in the following ways:
A. They don't activate. (Prevents them killing, wounding and moving)
B. They don't stop you from using an Action/Search Location.
C. They cannot be moved.

Enemies are not unstunned until End of Round step #1. This End of Round phase doesn’t start until all Enemies have been Activated / Moved.

Having them stunned will prevent them killing, wounding and moving into other areas.

Here are the sources for my answers

(ACTIVATE) Page 18 - In the game play example - paragraph #3

(SEARCH) Page 20 - The text box at the bottom left. "...Locations can not be 'used' when they contain any number of Enemy Tokens that are not Stunned" (Meaning stunned tokens prevent this.)

(MOVEMENT) Page 17 - FAQ #5: Stunned Baddies do not move.

(Page 17 - FAQ #6: Stunned Baddies CAN be killed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.