Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just snagged a copy for 65usd including shipping from a canadian retailer (about 85 canadian including shipping to the USA)

http://www.boardgameshelf.com/junk-art/

I think that's cheaper than normally priced Amazon prime! It seems to be out of stock everywhere now and prices on the secondary market are just ridiculous.

I'm sure they'll reprint eventually, but if you want it now I'd snag one asap.

As of this posting, I think they have only TWO copies left...

good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: Junk Art is selling out everywhere and Prices are high...1 store has it still available for 65usd shipped
robot Well, 'moi' shall PASS although within "Wargames" there's 'GAS' also "ditto"!
gulp~"They shall NOT PASS! 'GAS', before 'moi' 'does'!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Junk Art is selling out everywhere and Prices are high...1 store has it still available for 65usd shipped
Now out of stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Now out of stock.
surprise WON NOW "Espana 20" so, 'GAS' soon shall "emit" then! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny story about that...my FLGS had one copy in the fall. It sat there on the shelf for quite a while. I was in a game buying mood, and asked the owner about it. "We just can't move it," he said. "Our customers just aren't interested in a dexterity game like that. I won't be ordering any more copies." "I will give it a try," I said.

Of course it's great. Glad I bought it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Funny story about that...my FLGS had one copy in the fall. It sat there on the shelf for quite a while. I was in a game buying mood, and asked the owner about it. "We just can't move it," he said. "Our customers just aren't interested in a dexterity game like that. I won't be ordering any more copies." "I will give it a try," I said.

Of course it's great. Glad I bought it!

Glad I just bought this for $44 CAD on boxing day..

Woodforsheep.ca has this in stock for $72.50 CAD
Bring it down 15% using code BYE2016

https://www.woodforsheep.ca/products/junk-art

Take 15% off all regular-priced board games, card games (and a few undefined games). Use code BYE2016 at checkout. Valid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoyed it a lot but our friend who owns it has a table that crowns in the center, if you sit on the sides it's almost like playing on hard mode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this good? I may have a line on one for a reasonable price. is it now OOP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is good, I can recommend it. It apparently is OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
It is good, I can recommend it. It apparently is OOP.

Now, now, it's probably just between print runs. We all know how bad Z-man is with the length of time between print runs (think Stone Age, Marco Polo etc)

I can say it's a fantastic family game. What I love is that there are a dozen mini-games using the same pieces and it scales particularly well from 2-6 people. You can explain the rules for each mini game in just a minute or two so anyone can play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saltone wrote:
So is this good? I may have a line on one for a reasonable price. is it now OOP?

I guess Ill be the voice of dissent here. I had a lousy time playing Junk Art. I am a huge fan of dexterity (and stacking) games, but this was a huge disappointment. There are a lot of interesting game modes, so there was a ton of potential in the box, but the pieces themselves are made 50% of obviously easily stackable pieces, 40% oddball pieces, and 10% What-were-they-thinking pieces. Basically, if you get one of those awful pieces, which can happen randomly or forced on you by another player, you're done stacking. Game over. Repeat next round. Too much take-that and luck involved for a game that should be pure dexterity skill.

Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Stillme
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Had no idea this was becoming a rare game. I picked it up on a whim, mostly because I'm a sucker for a fancy wooden box and liked the packaging. I think I paid $38 or so.

Have yet to bust it out yet, will have to work it into a game day soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game yesterday, had a blast. Yeah there's luck of the draw. But come on, it's a stacking game! The many game modes that come in the box make it a sort of stacking game arcade rather than a single game. We played with 3 different rulesets as the rulebook recommends--piece draft + last person standing, joint effort on a single structure with odd man out as the loser, and race to stack 10 pieces first--which is plenty of variety and is only the tip of the iceberg with double-digit scenarios in the box.

If you don't like any of the scenarios you can come up with your own modes. Don't like luck? There are 4 sets of identical pieces, so 4 players can each take a color, put the cards for the pieces in the same order, and either race or see who can make the tallest structure. I'm sure with some thought one could come up with many more ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
I'm sure with some thought one could come up with many more ideas.

I've already come up with two great ideas. Bausack and Arbos Apfel.

Junk Art has some fantastic components, so I do agree it has the perfect tools for creating your own stacking game. There are just so many overlooked/underrated stacking games on the market that have already created fantastic rulesets.

My two cents has become more than anyone bargained for now. I'll quetly slink away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, one could play Bausack with JunkArt--if you have something to use for currency, and can separate the easy from challenging pieces.

To me, that's the genius of it--you can really play most any other stacking game with JunkArt (except maybe Hamsterolle)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this a while back and found it to be OK at best. It's a game where you stack stuff, there are probably hundreds of variations out there, and I wouldn't think this one was unique enough to make it one that should be hunted down due to a shortage, despite getting a few good online reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Junk Art has been HIGH on my wishlist for a while, due to the multiple "games" in the box, and the high production value.

But the comments here about the pieces being wildly different are a worry. It's making me rethink purchasing it. I already own Villa Palletti, a couple of Animal Upon Animal versions, and the like.

Maybe I should downgrade my wishlink ranking for this. Hmm....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Junk Art has been HIGH on my wishlist for a while, due to the multiple "games" in the box, and the high production value.

But the comments here about the pieces being wildly different are a worry. It's making me rethink purchasing it. I already own Villa Palletti, a couple of Animal Upon Animal versions, and the like.

Maybe I should downgrade my wishlink ranking for this. Hmm....

This has gone right to the top of the games that we can play with non-gaming guests and family members. It's a bonus that we really enjoy it too. I'm not surprised that it's sold out right here at Christmas time because it's perfect for family gatherings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kozlowski
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I, uh, guess I had a lot of geekgold?
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
I guess Ill be the voice of dissent here. I had a lousy time playing Junk Art. I am a huge fan of dexterity (and stacking) games, but this was a huge disappointment. There are a lot of interesting game modes, so there was a ton of potential in the box, but the pieces themselves are made 50% of obviously easily stackable pieces, 40% oddball pieces, and 10% What-were-they-thinking pieces. Basically, if you get one of those awful pieces, which can happen randomly or forced on you by another player, you're done stacking. Game over. Repeat next round.

Disagree. Almost none of the pieces are impossible to stack with. The spheres are challenging, but I've seen people place a sphere as their first piece, and go on to place another half-dozen pieces. And in a lot of game modes, you might strategically knock a single piece off and keep placing with that in your fallen piece pile.

I have a review posted for the game, so won't repeat it, but I think this is a superb dexterity game, even/sespecially for people who normally don't like dexterity games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that I played with the giant sized edition at Essen, and now the "mini version" doesn't seem as much fun.

Will pick it up someday when a lot cheaper -- probably used. Plenty of other games on the shelves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Riverside
California
msg tools
This game was an instant hit with my family and two people wanted to buy a copy for themselves but it was sold out. I was pleasantly surprised at how the game used familiar game mechanics to create a unique experience every time. Great family/party game for all ages - gamers and non-gamers alike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I got it but don't think it is that great of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never meant that its selling out because its the greatest game out there, of course to each their own.

I think its a very good stacking game and worthy of a place on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no need to make a new game out of the components, Junk Art art can already provide a completely rewarding experience out of the box even if you favor skill over luck. My group most definitely does, has played Bausack for years, and Junk Art has been a massive hit with them and every other group I've shared it with thus far.

You only use 3 Cities (Game Modes) out of 12 each game. If you want to curate a custom tailored experience all you have to do is leave out the cities that have the elements you don't like.

Hate time pressure? Leave out the speed modes. Don't like screwage? Leave those cities out. The game is highly customizable to suit whatever flavor of dexterity game you favor without any house rules needed at all.

As for being completely screwed by a single piece, that can totally happen in Bausack and Arbos Apfel as well. There isn't a single piece in Junk Art that is any more unplayable than the most difficult ones in Bausack. I've successfully placed every one at one point or another while playing. Plenty of pics online to see what every piece looks like and assess for yourself.

If anything, Junk Art is MORE forgiving than either Bausack and Arbos if you were properly taught the rules:

- You can drop your active piece without penalty and simply try again.

- Unlike in Arbos and Bausack in most game modes it's entirely legal to use your active piece to purposefully knock another piece off your sculpture if it's blocking your progress. In most modes this sets you back but doesn't put you out of the game.

- Unlike Bausack if you do get eliminated you've got at least two other opportunities to even the score.

Junk Art even went over with a player whose hands shake so badly due to nerve damage that they usually avoid dexterity games altogether. They wound up having a blast because they found meaningful choices and strategy trumped all in the set of cards we played that night. (I didn't even curate for their benefit)

Another member of our group immediately purchased it after a single play knowing that they'd be getting it to the table a ton as well.

It's currently rated higher than every single other dexterity classic other than Crokinole including Bausack, Pitch Car, Tumblin' Dice, Animal upon Animal, and all the rest. I'll definitely keep playing Bausack and others in my collection but at 7.6 I don't think it's overrated at all.

Obviously no game is for everyone, and clearly this one is no different, but in my personal experience any fan of dexterity games should at least seriously check this one out. To get an idea of whether it's a good fit or not, you can read the rules online. While it's certainly an experiential game, I'd say this is one you can get a very accurate idea about from the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Gene Principe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.