Simon Conboy
msg tools
I have been working on a tabletop gaming system for a while now and think I have something many others would enjoy.
I have been considering using Patreon as a means of funding my endeavour via a small monthly subscription ($2) that will provide all content produced. The first month will be the core rules and subsequent months will feature rules for individual races, errata's and the like.If things were to go well I would look to get the book(s) published and produce a website.
I am looking to launch in a few months, what incentives would convice you to contribute to such a project? Is a monthly contribution something you would be happy to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it will work, unless you "block off" new patrons after the first month. Otherwise later patrons will either just get useless modules (without the core rules from the first month), or get as much content for $2 that the early adopters have paid far more for.

And... paying for errata?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Not a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Barker
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only consider this if you were A) an established designer with a strong track record of completed and high quality designs, and B) offering a compelling story about why you needed to fund things this way instead of going a more traditional route.

If you're not offering those things, I don't see you getting the support you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
You need to change your name and then I still wouldn't go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you researched other game designers who use Patreon and what they offer? I'd say that is your best first step.

Unless you are releasing a full game a month, the monthly subscription is not the way to go.

The people who do have monthly subscriptions for game related products tend to produce lovely maps each month or light games which are rules complete, or some sort of content which is the entire package deal - not just producing more content for one game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Oh no, for this kind of thing I'd definitely be interested. This is a subscription game service, something very common in the videogame world. Given that it's supporting the artist directly I think it's certainly a consideration.

You'll need to work out how a late-adopter purchases in to prior content. But that's a minor detail.

Is this a Print 'n Play effort, or are you talking about delivering physical product? The latter would be tough to work out given shipping costs, but the former would be easier. Wargame Vault allows something similar (look at Table Air Combat on wargamevault.com for an example of a game with $2 incremental purchase prices) but it's not on a scheduled basis.

Patreon on a per-release basis makes sense because it encourages the artist to continue to produce product, and to keep their quality up in order to maintain their patrons. I like this model much more than Kickstarter, and it fosters a long-term relation that develops a community of players.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Conboy
msg tools
Just wish to elaborate a little more!
The idea with the subscription is to build a community around the game, as I am sure you can imagine the rules will require tweaking as me and my group of players can only playtest/ numbercrunch so much. Any sub would get access to all previously released parts. I would be constantly errataing and updating these rules. In the long run, if viable, I would like to eventually make the rules and races free, instead charging for products such as physical copies of the rules, decent quality tokens and unit sheets, hopefully I would be able to reward longtime contributors with these products for free for their support.
Earlier subscribers would simply have the added benefit of contributing from day one. I want the game design to be very fluid and to create a really helpful community that wishes to help expand and improve the game.
I am open to a per product model if the subscription idea isn't feasible, but feel that a sub basis could be a really rewarding option for those looking to support the game development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Conboy
msg tools
The core game is mainly designed for warhammer/ historical tabletop style, but a small scale skirmish/ warband type game can be played with it and is certainly something I look to elaborate on in future.
In terms of my background, I am simply a longtime tabletop hobbyist. Since Warhammer Fantasy died I have been looking into other systems and figured I would just create my own! Have to start somewhere.
I am looking to have this be a self sufficient venture, a sub basis is the best way for me to manage income so that I can scale up if possible. I would hope to foster a community that has a real input on how the game would develop/expand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
What it would require for me is not being pay-for-entrance. I'm happy for you and others to design and develop games, I'm happy to help with that, and I'm even more glad to share that help and information in open forums. I'm not interested in helping or supporting or encouraging walled gardens or your attempts at intellectual property control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Conboy
msg tools
So would it be better for the game and more appealing to potential patrons for the game to be free up front and have people contribute solely to support the game and its continued development if they wish?
That is my long term goal, I want people to enjoy this game, create a community of players to try and help make it as good as it can be. However in order to do provide books and the like (of course a pipe dream at this stage), it needs financial support. I am just trying to gather as much information as possible as to what is the best way forward.
Responses are much appreciated guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Patreon is generally used to support writers, or suppliers of other services (podcasts use it a lot too). You pay each time they produce a blog entry or article. I think you could go with that, but your articles would have to have sufficient content and quality to justify a donation for each entry.

Each "entry" could be limited to each culture you produce, or each card deck, or the like, with the intention of having people Print 'n Play them. But the entry likely would be open to anyone to download. The contributions are voluntary, because that's how Patreon is designed to work.

Offering components on WargameVault.com allows you to monetize PnP components very easily, and you can charge a different amount for each component. I'd recommend you have your basic rule set be available at no charge (WargameVault provides that option as well) and have the plug-in pieces priced at a reasonable level.

What I'm saying is that Patreon may not be your best option, or may be only part of your solution. It's designed to allow people to support your efforts, not purchase your products. It's a channel for philanthropy. I'd recommend using it as intended, and using other tools for the distribution of actual product.

The problem you're going to have is that most gamers are about the bling. If it ain't blingy they ain't interested. Not a whole lot of us looking to support the intellectual aspect of the art.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a great game and the expansions are also really good, why not? Or I could just pay for PDFs from a site like wargamevault (I believe they can also do print-on-demand hard-copies?) as they become available. I have bought a few RPG PDFs from drivethrurpg and then kept buying new expansions (they are quite good at sending out email reminders when something new is available!). If something similar would be possible through Patreon I guess it would work equally well for me, but of course the core game must be good enough and easy/cheap (better free) before I even consider paying for new content.

If it is a free project to make content based on one of the more liberal creative commons licenses for instance that will increase the probability that I will pay/subscribe significantly compared to it just being a way to fund a commercial non-free product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Conboy wrote:
So would it be better for the game and more appealing to potential patrons for the game to be free up front and have people contribute solely to support the game and its continued development if they wish?

That's what I do with my games. They are released as free print-and-play games, no need to pay, and my Patreon account is for the people who like my games enough to toss some money my direction.

I also put my games up on DriveThruRPG or its sister sites as pay-what-you-want, and have them in a few other places on the web.

Granted, I'm not trying to create a community of players... so that isn't part of my considerations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not support a game in development in this way, as there are few guarantees that the final product will be quality. While it can be fun to watch something in its development stages, so few games actually end up being very good at the end of the day.

I use patreon for:
* some bands I like that continue releasing many songs - those songs are finished when they post it
* music producers who produce music that I can use in my own work - those songs are ready to use when they are posted
* artists who post pieces of art that I can use in my own work - those pieces are finished when they are posted
* software tools that I use that are being updated - the software was already complete, the patreon is to support continued development and give me input on what features they should work on next

If your game system is already playtested and solid, and you were to have a following, and it were a game I was already into, I might support a patreon which released a scenario or faction or character or something for the game every month. But I would expect the base game to already have been proven, and to already know the designer can produce. If games workshop for instance had a patreon for blood bowl that gave us the new matchups for an ongoing season, or if fantasy flight were running a patreon to support new road to legend campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some artists fund their endeavors with donations. I do not see why, should a game be worthy of fandom, people would not contribute. Persons donate to online web comics all the time and can still access content from older years. I think you would have to focus on actually bringing something to market though not development. As the poster just above me mentions and provides examples of.

If there was a couple of guys making a cool card game or something that was modular, with additional chapters to the story, like a sort of community developed pathfinder approach, and accepted patreon donations to continue their work and the story, I think that could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Thorsmitersaw wrote:
Some artists fund their endeavors with donations. I do not see why, should a game be worthy of fandom, people would not contribute. Persons donate to online web comics all the time and can still access content from older years. I think you would have to focus on actually bringing something to market though not development. As the poster just above me mentions and provides examples of.

If there was a couple of guys making a cool card game or something that was modular, with additional chapters to the story, like a sort of community developed pathfinder approach, and accepted patreon donations to continue their work and the story, I think that could work.

Right, but in all the cases you've mentioned here, the artists create and distribute work for free for a while (often a LONG while) before they start asking for money. The OP here seems to be asking how to get support from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schroeder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I think of Patreon as supporting periodic content, so for this to work for me it would have to follow that model. Make the base game free, and have the subscription get me new content in the way of maps/scenarios/etc. Races/Classes etc maybe give to subscribers early, but then roll into the base after a few months. That gives early adopters a bonus, but doesn't lock latecomers out forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.