9 Posts

DOOM: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Compared to Imperial Assault rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Eldridge
msg tools
mbmbmb
I am trying to figure out which game I would like to get: either doom or Star Wars: imperial assault. I am a huge Star Wars fan and have rebellion and xwing. In terms of IP, I would go for Star Wars hands down, but I don't mind the DOOM universe and would happily choose what I find to be a better game for my preference. Does anyone have both where they can lay out the differences, strengths, and weaknesses? I am specifically interested in the skirmish mode of imperial assault versus doom. How does each game hold up in differing player counts? Which one is better with two players? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player count alone:

2 players IA isn't much fun for standard play.
2 players IA is fun for skirmish play.

Doom 2 players is fun for standard play.

The question for you is: are you buying to play a campaign or a minis battle game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Eldridge
msg tools
mbmbmb
i am not as much concerned about the campaign. I care more about the skirmish side of IA versus DOOM and how the game mechanics compare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foster
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Does your preference include pre/post game customization? That's the major difference between the two.

Imperial Assault skirmish requires each person to construct a force and deck. The campaign also requires outside of game customization for both the heroes and the imperial player.

Doom setup is much more streamlined and happens for each game instance. Each marine chooses two starting weapons or uses recommended loadout. Their class perk is either shuffled and dealt or use recommended group setup. The demon player has similar types of decisions: choose from limited set of player cards and deal out objective cards.

Combat: Imperial Assault has attackers choosing type of attack (3 dice types that specialize in range, effects, damage). Attacker decides how to use the surge (bonus effect) results. The defender rolls defense dice to cancel hits, surges, or the entire attack.

Doom has you choose a weapon card to attack with (for marines). Black dice are better than red. The dice just have number of damage on each side (0-3). Count up the number of hits, apply any special abilities on card, and defender can react with particular cards if in hand. To resolve defense, just flip a card from the defenders deck of player cards: shields absorb hits, evade icons negate all damage, and special icon refers to monster specific defense value.

In summary: Doom shrinks the decision spaces of Imperial Assault. Do you want a board game with the framework of a hobby game, go with IA. If you just want a beer and pretzels, brutal shoot em up, go with Doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
Want a more fluid game ? Go to imperial assaut (skirmish)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilum2008 wrote:
Want a more fluid game ? Go to imperial assaut (skirmish)

I wouldn't say this is anywhere near correct.

Doom is more fluid, nicely streamlined. It FEELS like a board game, though.

If you want a proper miniatures game, IA Skirmish is it. It's great as a simple objective based skirmish system, with lots of customization options. The downside... it gets expensive fast, especially if you get competetive with it, just like X-Wing. It's already more expensive than Doom for the core game alone, and the figures aren't great (if you're a minis snob, you'll understand what I mean... Doom beats the pants off IA, and I'm hoping FFG adjusts in the new IA expansion).

Mechanically, there are already several comparison threads in these forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an owner of both, while I think it's cool that IA decided to include the Skirmish Mode, it doesn't really feel like it's where the game's strength is. As a miniatures game, it's fine but not really exceptional in any respect. The combat can occasionally create some interesting moments but can also get a little clunky at times. Every time I've played a skirmish match, I couldn't help but feel like I was missing out on the true, intended experience that is the Campaign Mode.

DOOM streamlines and stylizes a lot of the combat resolution and makes for much smoother (and simpler...but that's not a bad thing if you ask me) game play. The marine player(s) can get up and running in less than a minute. The Invader player has more of the customization at his fingertips if he wants it.

I think DOOM is the better game with 2 players (actually, I think DOOM is my preferred game at all player counts, but that's just an opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
if you're a minis snob, you'll understand what I mean... Doom beats the pants off IA

True. These are the best minis they've made so far. I'm impressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Eldridge
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really appreciate the feedback everyone! It sounds to me that DOOM might be a better fit for me! I love Star Wars, but I like the streamlined quick gameplay of DOOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.