Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I "retire" dice that seem to behave poorly for me by relegating them to the box of unused dice at my house. That's only one superstition though...what's yours and how do you deal with poor dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb

On more than one occasion, I've set my good dice up in a ring around a few unlucky dice then smashed the bad dice. It's probably not good for morale, but I maintain my roll through fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diceshaming is a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I set out all my dice showing the highest number, so that gravity will make them sag over time to prefer that position. But that's not superstition. That's physics.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Even though I have dozens of dice I cannot bring myself to destroy underperforming dice. I will rotate dice, relegating bad dice back to the bag for new ones, and any dice that are hot get to stay.

I am superstitious about always rolling dice through a tower, and I cannot keep from buying new towers. My latest tower is not very portable, but it had moving parts and is almost another game component itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My brother sang "Luck Be Lady" before rolling in order to get a good outcome instead of retiring dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play War of 1812 with a friend where a 'six' is rolled that meant a hit was achieved. Somehow, I'm not sure which one of us started a chant when the other was about to roll. This chant only used two words, "No sixes", but it was said with various vocal tones, volumes, musical notes and extension of the actual words themselves. So, one of us would pick up the dice to roll, while the other would start to chant: "No sixes, nooooooo siiixees, no siiixees, no sixes, no sixes, no sixes, no sixes, nooooooooooooooooooooo sssiiiiiiiiiiiiixxeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss, no sixes, nooooooo siiixees" until the dice were rolled. If there wasn't a six rolled, then the God of Chants was praised, if a six or many sixes were rolled, then the question of why the God of Chants had foresaken us would be raised. Of course this was exported to other games as well and if the number required for a hit was changed, then the chant was changed. If others were around and stopped to watch us, inevitably they would just shake their heads and leave, but, if they were playing as well, usually a polite request would be made asking us to stop, this was followed through with threats to make us stop. Of course we never stopped as the God of Chants would have never understood why we would do such a dastardly thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a time out cup. I leave them there for a few days then bring them back into the fold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I set out all my dice showing the highest number, so that gravity will make them sag over time to prefer that position. But that's not superstition. That's physics.

S.

Very effective technique.

Reminds me of visiting an old castle in Wales a few years ago. I had never seen such an immaculate lawn. The groundskeeper happened to be there, so I asked him how he did it. The old boy answered, "Ye hafta roll the lawn every day...for at least two hundred years."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:
I used to play War of 1812 with a friend where a 'six' is rolled that meant a hit was achieved. Somehow, I'm not sure which one of us started a chant when the other was about to roll. This chant only used two words, "No sixes", but it was said with various vocal tones, volumes, musical notes and extension of the actual words themselves. So, one of us would pick up the dice to roll, while the other would start to chant: "No sixes, nooooooo siiixees, no siiixees, no sixes, no sixes, no sixes, no sixes, nooooooooooooooooooooo sssiiiiiiiiiiiiixxeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss, no sixes, nooooooo siiixees" until the dice were rolled. If there wasn't a six rolled, then the God of Chants was praised, if a six or many sixes were rolled, then the question of why the God of Chants had foresaken us would be raised. Of course this was exported to other games as well and if the number required for a hit was changed, then the chant was changed. If others were around and stopped to watch us, inevitably they would just shake their heads and leave, but, if they were playing as well, usually a polite request would be made asking us to stop, this was followed through with threats to make us stop. Of course we never stopped as the God of Chants would have never understood why we would do such a dastardly thing.

The "no sixes" chant has often been heard at my house. It works about 17% of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife isn't a big game player but she will play Yahtzee at the drop of a hat. For those that don't know you have to get a combination of dice in 3 rolls. You may keep any dice you roll but then only get to roll the remainder. If my wife rolled 1,1,2,2 and a 4 she may keep the 1,2 and 4 to attempt a low straight (4 in a row). If she did keep these, the dice would be laid out 1,2, a gap and then the 4. Me, I just huddle them all together in a random order. She always says you have to show the dice where they belong, give them a helping hand. We log our scores and out of the 500+ games my wife has something like a 60/40 lead. It is just superstition isn't it...it is isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
For those that don't know

Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I destroyed a d6 with a clawhammer on my back step. Fucking thing kept rolling 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Aaron has certain red d6s with white pips and I refuse to use them. They are cursed.

For me, I minimize their affect. I am so dice-superstitious that I use a large bowl of d6s and each roll is used with a different die. That way, if I roll four "1s" in a row, I'll know it wasn't because I wasn't shaking them very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
rozar5 wrote:

The "no sixes" chant has often been heard at my house. It works about 17% of the time.

You are more fortunate than I; the chant and prayers only work for me about 16% of the time. <G>

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Every CRT result is rolled before the die is cast. :zen

#SunWhewIReallyNeededThatSix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I traded my immortal soul to Satan in exchange for always getting the die rolls I want. Working out pretty good, so far. After a while, I got used to the smell of sulphur during my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rotate "cold" dice.
I had one opponent in ASL & Ironclads who had the most amazing "dice karma". Long range shot from a pea-shooter vs. the heaviest bit of armor...Snake eyes, MC on a conscript squad caught moving in open terrain "3"... any dice-any time! I swear his real name must have been Dr. Faustus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shake the die/dice 7 times, ask the most attractive woman in the place to gently blow on my hand, then throw with a little wrist action.

It works most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
I shake the die/dice 7 times, ask the most attractive woman in the place to gently blow on my hand, then throw with a little wrist action.

It works most of the time.

Wargaming convention sure seem to have changed a lot since my teenage days. I need to start going back to those thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob brennan
Ireland
Dublin 6W
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a UK DBM (Ancients) competition one team played Vlad the impaler's army and every time their dice came up a 1 they brought out a battery powered drill, drilled a hole in the dice and popped the drilled offender into a model pole included as part of the army baggage!

rgds
rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm in a game with a lot of downtime, I train my dice. If the magic number is six, I turn all the dice so that a six is up.

It doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Bodymore
Murderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
I traded my immortal soul to Satan in exchange for always getting the die rolls I want. Working out pretty good, so far. After a while, I got used to the smell of sulphur during my games.

Figured after rolling "18" for Charisma, anything else would really be pushing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.