23 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts on backing Folklore the Affliction as an investment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anon Anon
msg tools
Hi there,

So in another thread I got recommended Folklore the Affliction. Seeing as there is but a day left to back the kickstarter at a reduced price of $95, I'd like to get peoples opinions on whether they think this is a good long term investment? I'd likely not pay more than that for a game at this moment in time, especially a kickstarter. Therefore, if i was going to get this, it would be now.

I've looked at previews etc and it seems quite interesting for a group game but has unfortunately been delayed. The kickstarter stretch goals and core content seem to give great value for money. Thoughts?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You keep using that word, "investment"...

I do not think it means what you think it means...

I'd say it's Kickstarter garbage. But I say that about everything on KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think it is a stupid idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you buy ice cream as an investment? Or toilet paper? Investments tend to be items that are known to increase in value over time, and this is, after all, just another Kickstarter board game. It's the fallacy that anything hobby related is absolutely collectible and will increase, when often it's just not true.

Lionel trains being made today aren't an investment, but those made 80 to 90 years ago are rare now, and are valuable. By the same token, board games from 80 to 90 years ago can be valuable, but what you pay today is what you'll possibly earn if you sell it -- maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Anon
msg tools
I see, I apologise I chose the wrong choice of words but you have provided clarity anyway, I'll likely just purchase a tried and tested game of a similar nature.

I was trying to ask whether those with greater insight into the product thought it was worth buying for the reduced price at this given time, despite their being a long wait for release. No worries, thanks anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully support you purchasing at least 10 copies. At that price you'd be losing money not to. Don't have the cash? Float a loan and don't worry about that interest. This is how true investors make millions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
LardyFatLips wrote:
I see, I apologise I chose the wrong choice of words but you have provided clarity anyway, I'll likely just purchase a tried and tested game of a similar nature.

I was trying to ask whether those with greater insight into the product thought it was worth buying for the reduced price at this given time, despite their being a long wait for release. No worries, thanks anyway

If it gets retailed it's going to be cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I vote to pick it up, of course I am a backer as well. Love the dark theme in this beauty! $95 is a great deal for what you end up getting, as long as you have the shelf space! It's going to be massive, in more ways than one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
The game seems to ambitiously go in a way that I haven't seen a game go. It's really trying hard to capture that RPG feel. From the demo adventure that I've read, I think it's going to be an amazing game, and definitely worth it. The theme is also something I just don't see enough of. Everything about it just feels right to me. What I'm unsure of is re-playability, and length of time it will take to complete the campaign book. I'm worried that once you complete it, it will lose it's magic. What the game needs to succeed in my opinion is options within the campaign to make each play through a unique experience, and continued support with releases of new campaign books. Will it have this? I don't know.

edit: I realize I spend entirely too much time on these forums when I realize that I'm the one that suggested the game to you in another thread, and I caught you again in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no hard and fast rule as to whether a game will be a good investment. Having studied this (and other fields such as art and books), I can make a few suggestions.

1) Rarity. The game should not have too many copies. Most games usually have fairly limited print runs...but we're talking EXCEPTIONALLY limited, say 500-750 copies.
2) Condition. Old games in excellent condition usually have some value. NOTE that games EXPECTED to be found in excellent condition, like the "Collector's Edition" War of the Ring, NEED to look like they just came out of the time machine to be considered valuable at all.
3) Taste. This one is hard to track...but basically, many of the Grail games on the list (look up a few) are great games. Typically they have really inventive mechanics, were "first on the scene," and are admired by serious gamers with taste.

Folklore does not meet these requirements.

Most of all, it looks like a terrible game. It leads with how many well-sculpted minis it has, not how it plays. It is a clone of about a million other games on the market, most from Fantasy Flight (itself not a critical darling company). It has a truly stupid name. (Folklore...is an affliction? Sounds like a seventh grader's attempt to write a horror movie.) The list of components suggests another fiddly dice- and modifier-fest, not something elegant or distinctive.

Buy it if you want. If they manage to deliver it, you keep it unopened, and it doesn't get dumped by a zillion hobby shops that got suckered into backing it, it might be worth twice what you paid in a year. Maybe. Once you pay for shipping it somewhere, you might make 40% on your initial investment...let's be generous and call it $50. Long-term prospects are very dim, since there will be more, not fewer, games like this choking the market and very few of them will actually see any table time six months after they are released.

Note that this is also pretty much limited to one or two buys. If you buy 50 in the hopes of making $2500, you might make about $100, since the more you "invest" the more worthless you make the investment.

A game that will be worth $5,000 is not a game that will be backed on KS, nor will you hear about it until it's far too late. That's part of how this works.

Buy a fractional share of Google with your $95. Then sit on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Recommendations to Folklore: The Affliction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:
... It has a truly stupid name. (Folklore...is an affliction? Sounds like a seventh grader's attempt to write a horror movie.) ..

Yeah, but I mean, Kingdom Death: Monster is a truly stupid name and I sold my copy of that game for $700.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
VanVeen wrote:
... It has a truly stupid name. (Folklore...is an affliction? Sounds like a seventh grader's attempt to write a horror movie.) ..

Yeah, but I mean, Kingdom Death: Monster is a truly stupid name and I sold my copy of that game for $700.

Well, $700 Canadian is like $50, right?

Exception proving the rule. You get away with it...once. Then everyone tries to copy and fails. Speaking as a guy who got out of Magic right after Legends. Ka-ching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:
VanVeen wrote:

Exception proving the rule. You get away with it...once. Then everyone tries to copy and fails. Speaking as a guy who got out of Magic right after Legends. Ka-ching.

No, I sold it for $700 US (about $900 Cdn at the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LardyFatLips wrote:
Hi there,

So in another thread I got recommended Folklore the Affliction. Seeing as there is but a day left to back the kickstarter at a reduced price of $95, I'd like to get peoples opinions on whether they think this is a good long term investment? I'd likely not pay more than that for a game at this moment in time, especially a kickstarter. Therefore, if i was going to get this, it would be now.

I've looked at previews etc and it seems quite interesting for a group game but has unfortunately been delayed. The kickstarter stretch goals and core content seem to give great value for money. Thoughts?

Thanks

I think KS in general are only worth it if you think you will buy all the expansions and stuff that comes with it separately anyways...cause that triples the price of a base game quite often...so making money on it...NO...saving yourself money on it? YES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:
VanVeen wrote:

Or rule proving the exception?

How many times before its no longer considered an exception?
D&D? really Dumb and Dumber?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You always see the post from the person who sold a game for $700 but you never see the post from the person who purchased the game for $700.

I not bullish on purchasing Folklore: The Affliction as an investment - too many games that are similar with components and mechanically. The story needs to be the magic that separates the game from others and I'm not sure it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Investment? Bad idea.

Backing to drop money on something you enjoy? Maybe.

I'm trying to make a decision myself. It's really hard. The story driven campaign catches me. I want to play that. But the fight mechanic looks so boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
playswithfriends wrote:
Investment? Bad idea.

Backing to drop money on something you enjoy? Maybe.

I'm trying to make a decision myself. It's really hard. The story driven campaign catches me. I want to play that. But the fight mechanic looks so boring.

Well, if it helps any:

Tomorrow is the last day for late pledges. I think the core game box is easily going to be worth the asking price, simply because it has a ton of stuff in it (with the KS exclusive pack and the stretch goals included). There's a huge number of cards and tokens (possibly too many, depends what you like).

I've been following this game pretty closely and just finished reading through all the print'n'play files and the rulebook. I think the artwork looks gorgeous. The miniatures look competent, if not brilliant.

The rulebook looks good, but also appears to be needlessly complicated. This is definitely a dice-heavy game and adding a billion modifiers to every dice roll - which it appears to be doing - does not make a game more strategically interesting.

Overall, I think the game looks very professional, but I'm not sure that it looks exciting. A lot is going to depend on the monsters' special rules, the item/ability cards available and (most importantly) the quality of the campaign/scenarios, and unfortunately most of this material is not available to preview.

I don't think I'm going to be disappointed with the finished game.
Would I recommend it? Only if you like dice-heavy games with a ton of components and the overall theme and style are appealing to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MysteryMan_007_007 wrote:
VanVeen wrote:
Glic2003 wrote:
VanVeen wrote:

Or rule proving the exception?

How many times before its no longer considered an exception?

It's mostly the fast followers, as the MBA would have it. Magic was followed by a host of wannabes (Vampire, Rage, 5 Rings...) that nobody was able to flip for big bux. Kingdom Death was probably the first and last of the Flippable Incredibly Overpriced Box of Ameritrash genre. And so forth and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Parker

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Would I recommend it? Only if you like dice-heavy games with a ton of components and the overall theme and style are appealing to you.

Overall? If I had not already put my money down...this would have made me put it down.

I must be the only person who loves Ameritrash and Euro games both.

I love TONSSSSSSS of dice.
I also love NO dice.

Overall the theme sold me on it...if the stories are good and the quests fun I will be more than happy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achilles Last Stand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

Overall? If I had not already put my money down...this would have made me put it down. :)

I also love NO dice.

Overall the theme sold me on it...if the stories are good and the quests fun I will be more than happy with it.

you are not the only one to love ameritrash and euro. I, too, am a huge fan of both genres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
I'm Videogame Geek of the Week!!! Click the leftmost microbadge under my avatar and badger me with questions! :D
mbmbmbmbmb

May I suggest Dicenstein?

As for the OP: is the game worth the current $95? (the pledge manager is open, so you can still late back it) https://secure.greenbriergames.com/gms

Well, with all the extras you get with it, I think it is. At the $95 level, you get:
- Base Game (which had some extra stuff added to it as stretch goals)
- Kickstarter Exclusive addon box Dark Tales (lots of content and minis!)
- the "Grey Pack", which is a set of extra miniatures that are also in the base game, along with an exclusive Flesh Golem.
That's a total of 88 miniatures and plenty of content.

The $149 pack gets you all the above, plus:
- the "Tan Pack", which is simply more miniatures from the Base Game and KS Dark Tales box, and another Flesh Golem (66 models)
- the Ghost Pack, which is a box with transparent blue versions of all 6 heroes from the base game and 6 from the Dark Tales pack, plus a big Wraith monster. (13 models).
So for $54 more, you add 79 models, which is also very good value (even though most of these are doubles).

A good investment? No, it's a game. You won't make money from this. You buy it, and get enjoyment out of it, that's what it is for. You invest in enjoyment time basically. And even if you'd ever want to resell it, you'd probably be able to do so at cost easily. So it's not a bad investment from a gameplay, fun, and even money back guarantee point of view. I believe that's what you meant.

Worth it? Definately. Even if you're unsure of the gameplay, it's a gamble that I think has a low risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.